1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California Carpool Lane Access and My Transition to Civic GX

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rick999, Jul 19, 2010.

1. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    any of you GX owners looked into adding another tank to your trunk?

i, too, rely on the HOV lanes in SoCal, but cannot (yet) talk myself into "downgrading" to a stock commuter car.

that said, the per gallon price of CNG is appealing. i see it ranges from $1.99 to $2.60/gallon in the Los Angeles area.

Alternative Fuel Fill Stations and Prices

2. sfcommuter

sfcommuter New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To Avacadoman1: I am so new to the GX model that I didn't even think you could add another tank!!!! That would be a nice thing to do so I can drive the full week without fueling up. But, no I wouldn't add another tank since the fueling station is conveniently near my job. I filled up the other day and have driven 194 miles with still a little less than half a tank left. So I'm figuring I'm getting about 300 freeway miles on a tank. I still miss my hybrid though, I got 450 miles per tank on that one and didn't have to "search" for stations. Basically, the only reason I bought this car is because the yellow stickers are expiring and I like everyone else will have to wait until the end of the year for the new "40,000 green stickers" for which cars we don't even know yet. I just could not commute for 6 months without stickers - I've done that before and faced 3 hour commutes each way home (35 mile commute) during rush hour traffic because my work hours are those hours and I can't change them. If it weren't for the inconvenience of filling up, I would keep this car when these stickers expire in 2015. But, it doesn't look like they will be opening many stations (especially in the North Bay) soon.

3. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    SFCommuter: i have seen (in the past) GX's for sale w/ an add-on tank. of course, the trunk (which is already small), becomes totally useless. that said, the add-on tank adds approx 6 gallons of fuel.
    regarding mpg's...i understood the stock tank, completely filled @ 3600 to drive no more than 250 total miles on a tank. so an additional 6 gallons would give you a 400+ mile range.
    to me, that would make it much more appealing.
    but, like so many things today, an add-on tank is probably cost prohibitive for most of us.