1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California Carpool Lane Stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LMPR15, Jun 26, 2006.

1. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It has been said that a cashiers check will be processed faster than a personal check.....

2. justin96039

justin96039 210,000 Miles on our Prius!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure you talk to your dealer, sometimes they can help. Im sure if you send in your application by end of July, you will get stickers. I'm waiting for my plate info. I should have plates by July 6th 2006 according to dealer. I just purchased my car July 1 2006. 6 day turn around not bad, especially with the holiday and weekend!!! Hope this helps. JW

3. mandargb

mandargb Junior Member

I got my car on 27th June.
    Picked up my plates from dealer on June 30th along with reg and month / year stickers.

3rd July I got the fast-track transponder (must for SF bay area counties)and same afternoon sent for HOV stickers.
    I also included my copy of my registration with HOV sticker and cashier's check for $8 for DMV.
    Lets see how it goes.

4. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LMPR @ Jun 26 2006, 08:46 AM) [snapback]276824[/snapback]</div>
    ;) We sent in the request for stickers after getting our licence plates. It only took about 2 weeks. Because there is a limit, or a least I heard there is, on the number of stickers.... we decided to get them. The problem of this stickers are 1. They are UGLY 2. Driving in the carpool lane can be dangerous or at least frustrating when someone is tailgating you at high speed. I always feel uncomfortable in a lane I cannot get out of whenever I wish. The matter of people bearing down on you for not exeeding the speed limit by 10+mph.

Perhaps a certain times of the day, for people out in the burbs, the carpool lane is a great thing. If traffic on the commute becomes impossible, if the carpool lane starts to look atractive, I'll put those UGLY yellow stickers on my carefully hand polished paint job, making the car black and yellow (oof!) <_<

5. highroute

highroute New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Jul 6 2006, 05:52 AM) [snapback]281919[/snapback]</div>
    You're describing your local (southern California) carpool lane setup. For those not familiar with it, such a carpool lane is segregated from the rest of the lanes by a solid double yellow line except for short gaps of a couple hundred yards every few miles, making it not permissible (though physically possible) to move out of the way of traffic that wants to move faster except at the gaps.

Here in the SF Bay Area, the carpool lanes are almost all normal "lane 1" freeway lanes with standard white-dashed lane dividers, allowing drivers to get in and out at any point.

I drove the carpool lanes on the Santa Monica Freeway (I-405) in May and experienced what you have described. It's not nice. I wonder why carpool lanes were done that way down there.

6. willbolk

willbolk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBPR @ Jul 5 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]281856[/snapback]</div>
    wow, i'm jealous. that's a mighty quick turnaround. i bought my car from mossy on june 13, left the country for three weeks, came back to find the dmv still does not have my car in the system. i called the dealer today, they said it takes up to six weeks just for the paperwork to leave their offices, unless i requested a "walk through" at the time of purchase. of course, i had never heard of a "walk through" until today. i did ask the finance person i was dealing with to expedite the registration. however, since i didn't buy any of his overpriced add ons, he apparently neglected to do so.

7. Swingshiftworker

Swingshiftworker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(willbolk @ Jul 6 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]282113[/snapback]</div>

The DMV registration can be done the same day by any CA dealer. It's a online system and they don't even have to leave the dealership to do it.

However, I always ask the dealer "walk in" my registration papers, mainly because I use a PO Box, which a dealer will always tell you (in CA) can't be used. Not true. A physical address is NOT required to register a car in CA, but the automated registration system that dealers use will kick out an application w/o one. So, if you use a PO Box, you have to have the dealer register the vehicle in person at the DMV. They usually go to the DMV once a week at most large volume dealers. Less often or only as needed at smaller dealers.

In any event, I purchased my vehicle on a Monday and got the registration plates & stickers on Thursday. Could have had them earlier if I pushed. Got my title in the mail the following week.

8. ShellyLB

ShellyLB New Member

I just mailed my carpool sticker app. yesterday with plate#, vin#, and a cashiers check just for good measure. Now I hear that a photocopy of your registration is also required in addition to having plate#'s in your app. Can anyone confirm or deny this? It happened to my friend whose original sticker application was rejected because she needed to include a copy of her registration. I'm just not sure whether she'd included a plate# originally...

Should I reapply and include a photocopy this time?

BTW, I've been extremely fortunate as far as time goes so far. I was on a waiting list for 1 week prior to purchasing my Prius @MSRP (Kenny Rossi at Cabe Toyota in LB is great!), received my plate# 6 days later (incl. weekends and the 4th of July, and yes, I paid the dealer to register electronically - Myra is the DMV person at Cabe and owns a Prius herself so she understood the situation and processed my registration before my check cleared), and just received my plates today (1 week after purchasing my car!!). So, I'm hoping that my luck doesn't run out when it comes to the sticker.

What do you think I should do? I don't want to wait until my application gets returned with additional instructions- that may be too late! Should I just splurge and spend another $8 by applying again (this time w/a photocopy of my registration) to ensure that I get a sticker?

9. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ShellyLB @ Jul 6 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]282423[/snapback]</div>
    Is there anything in the application that calls for a photocopy of the registration?
    Where did you hear this from?

I have never heard of this, did not send, no problem getting stickers. Has anyone else heard of this?

10. ShellyLB

ShellyLB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(j24816 @ Jul 6 2006, 09:44 PM) [snapback]282426[/snapback]</div>

There's nothing on the application, but my friend got her app rejected with a request for a photocopy of her registration. She's had her Prius for over 6 weeks, so I'm not sure whether she included her plate # on her original app or not. I'd like to believe that she didn't b/c a request for registration would seem more reasonable then.

Just wondering if anyone else had recently encountered this situation...I can just imagine the DMV adding a new procedure just when the deadline is looming dangerously near...

11. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(highroute @ Jul 6 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]282071[/snapback]</div>
    To prevent cars moving at very different rates of speed from trying to merge.

12. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Jul 6 2006, 05:52 AM) [snapback]281919[/snapback]</div>
    Even if the sticker bothers you, or the lane intimidates you...I can tell you that it can still be a great asset.

Many times, when an accident is clogging all of the other lanes, the carpool lane is still wide open...and that has saved a lot of time, sometimes even hours! Also, in the city of Los Angeles, I can park for free at meters, saving me tons of quarters!

I look at it as a "badge" of honor on my car...and wear it proudly. If you are worried about the paint...then others have suggested using a piece of the 3m film under it before applying.

13. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 9 2006, 11:57 PM) [snapback]283714[/snapback]</div>
    You're telling me! I saw a 05 Prius at the local CarFaire - no leather etc, 22k miles, but with stickers...

Asking price: $26,000

WOW

If they cut the number of stickers off, you can bet the cars with 'em will go for nice resale values...

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SCDrJ @ Jul 11 2006, 08:46 PM) [snapback]284779[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, until they cut off the lane exemption for the stickers...get 'em while they're hot!

15. ronlprius

ronlprius New Member

In the SF Bay Area you need the FasTrak because the bridge HOV lanes don't have toll takers, you need to pay toll since you are only one person, and it would be too dangerous for you to move to a toll lane from the HOV lane. This is stated on the FasTrak FAQ along with a statement that you don't need plates, but DO need to send a copy of your sales order with a typed VIN or a copy of the DMV temporary paper that they put in the front window of your car.

Ron

16. Neptune

Neptune New Member

My diamond lane stickers arrived last night--today's commute was so very sweet...

Bought my car on June 9 (silver '06, package 7, with a/m leather.)

June 20, received regular sequential plates and registration from dealer (they were excellent--walked my papwork through the DMV office.)

June 22, received my rejected original diamond lane sticker application--rejected because no license plate information on either the application, or the FasTrak receipt. Also, today, received the updated FasTrak papwerwork with my plate number added. This was also a smooth process--one phone call to the San Francisco FasTrak office and they took my plate number verbally, added it to my account, and mailed new paperwork that day.

June 23--mailed corrected app to DMV.

June 30--check cleared bank.

July 12--stickers arrive! Woo-hoo!!! It is number 65,790.

Cheers,
    Neptune

17. Punkinann

Punkinann Junior Member

June 8, bought car
    June 23, got plates in the mail
    June 29 or so, mailed application
    July 10, check cashed
    July 13, got stickers on the mail #664xx

18. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Punkinann @ Jul 14 2006, 02:52 AM) [snapback]286138[/snapback]</div>

That was my experience almost to the day! I tried to apply before my plates came but they rejected that and returned my check.

I saw a Prius last night with only TWO stickers applied and both of them on window glass! (One on the lower right rear hatch window and the other on the little window around to the right from that.) I figure the person didn't want to mess up his car's good looks but getting creative like this is risky. The law states clearly that the stickers must be properly displayed.

Anybody tried a less paint-abusive manner of applying the stickers? Like using clear Contact paper or double stick tape?

19. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Neptune @ Jul 13 2006, 07:45 AM) [snapback]285617[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Punkinann @ Jul 14 2006, 02:52 AM) [snapback]286138[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm...given the almost identical receipt dates above, and the noticeable difference in the sticker series #s--I'd say it looks like you DO get in the "queue" for the stickers even with the "bad" application...Just an observation...

Also, I have to wonder what the HELL it is they do in Sact'o with the new car reg apps to start with. DH bought a "pre-owned" '02 BMW in mid-late March from a dealer in Berkeley. I bought my Pri on May 10 from a dealer in Santa Rosa. Obviously, our dealers did not have the "hot line" to DMV that it seems many posters' dealers have had, and we went through "normal" channels. His plates arrived maybe 3 weeks ago, and mine arrived this week. BOTH of us had "special" plates we were transferring from our previous cars. Because we ALREADY HAD PLATES, instead of just sitting back and waiting for DMV to just send us our plates--because the dealers took some form of payment to do us the favor of doing the DMV paperwork--and then without a thought just driving around with NO plates in the meantime, we had to make TWO "personal" trips to DMV offices. DH's plates are a special issue (US constitution), not personalized, and mine are disabled plates (um, the PLATES are not disabled, but I am...quiet you guys--they do NOT generally give those plates for MENTAL disability--in this case, I AM speaking of physical ones!). DH actually ended up in a more complicated dance, because I was out of the country when he came home with his '02, so he just up and slapped his old plates on his new car with none of the required intermediate steps...I knew better! Well, in all fairness, he did sell his old car but we kept mine--he did know enough to take the plates off the sold one and go to DMV to get them transferred off that one. His mistake was to then just slap the plates on the new car. We kept my old plates. I went, first to AAA, where they couldn't help me with everything because they can't deal with DP plates. They did have me fill out a form that disassociated my plates from the old car and reserve them to me--note, to ME, not to the new car, for which I had all the papers, the VIN, etc., AND NO LIEN, since it turned out to cost us less to use $ from our home equity line for the Pri than to take the % loan offered by Toyota. Then AAA told me to toddle/hobble off to DMV. There, it turned out AAA was partly right--no, I could NOT just tell DMV about the new car and have them then associate MY plates with MY new VIN. Nope. I would STILL have to wait for Sact'o to get around to sending me plates before I could then go back to the dmv office, turn in the new plates to have THEM dissassociated from the Pri vin and fill out another version of the same form I had filled out to get the plates off the Acura and ONTO the Pri. Fine. But DMV did graciously grant me plates to put on the now otherwise naked Acura. So, fast forward (PLEASE!) through 2+ months of having my DP plates INSIDE the Pri, and arranging them, whenever I wanted to park somewhere they were called for, on the front dash and on special little cushions I had to arrange on the tonneau so the rear plate would be visible from the outside (do you have ANY idea how HOT license plates get when sitting on a dashboard in full sun, when they are in front of a sunshade? I do. Fried eggs anyone?). (Oh--but I HAD to run the plates through the dishwasher to get off the 8 years worth of bugs and crud before I could bring the plates inside the Pri...). Fine, so now I have regular plates on the Acura and DP plates inside the Pri.

(Now, this is where any of this relates back to this thread...) First, I sent in my sticker app without any plate # (on May 13, I think it was). It bounced. I then returned it--still without the Sact'o plate #, but WITH MY DP plate #--which, remember, at this point, was still NOT associated with the car. That worked. I got the stickers, with the id card bearing my DP plate #. The actual DMV-assigned plates still took another month to arrive, but I stuck them stickers on the car--and even used them a coupla times in LA last week--no problems. In the meantime, DH got some kind of letter from DMV demanding like $16 for reassigning PERSONALIZED plates, which his ARE NOT. He sent the check, just to avoid hassle. He got his new plates, complete w/ reg stickers, and removed his own, old plates, put the new plates on the car, and sat back and waited to see about the check he had sent to DMV for whatever...My new plates came, while we had still heard nothing from DMV about their other scam. I went to AAA with all four of my plates and the reg, and his new plates and the reg for his car (showing, finally, his own plate #). Since DH had stuck the reg stickers for the new plates on his old ones, I was trying to turn in new plates and get replacement stickers for DH, and to have DMV take back their bloody useless plates I had never wanted in the first place and finally officially associate my plates with the Pri VIN. AAA took $16 for DMV for "replacement" stickers for DH, and took the Sact'o plates, and had me fill out a form to say why he needed new stickers and why I was returning the stupid plates we hadn't wanted in the first place. THEN--yup, I had to go back to DMV as well, since AAA can't even print out the little stupid piece of paper to swap regular plates for already issued DP ones. At DMV, apart from waiting for 1/2 an hour (at least they have chairs for everyone now and issue little paper numbers like bakeries...), I filled out another part of the same damn form I filled out last time, now to say I am taking MY DP plates and putting them on Pri VIN and giving you back your stupid plates there was no point in your issuing in the first place. Then, and only then, could I take the DP plates OUT of the Pri and put them ON it. Yesterday. Sixty four days from when I bought the car. And two trips by me to DMV and to AAA and one trip by DH to AAA, consuming OUR time for these trips, plus the time of a total of 3 AAA employees and six DMVers (you first go to "START HERE," explain your problem in detail, get your number and wait to see employee 2 to reexplain your problem, watch them dither with their computer, go off and consult a supervisor or two, and hey, presto--you're back out the door an hour later...). And, given our particular situation, where all we wanted to do was transfer plates from one car to another (ok, two cars to 2 others, but you get the drift)--but DMV demanded they FIRST spend how many employee hours in issuing us plates all we were going to do was to return, resulting in still more employee hours in correcting all the computers that had assigned our VINs to plates we didn't want...

Can anybody explain to me...and, given the sheer number of personalized, special interest, special purpose, whatever like that, plates there are in CA--WHY has DMV NOT streamlined the process for the owners of these plates so we can fill out ONE form to have the personal plates taken off the old car and assigned to the new VIN and just entirely skip the vast expense involved in all of the effort--by us and AAA and DMV--required to do the shuffle we have to do to do it their way? How much more bloody wasteful could it possibly be???

Thank you for listening to my rant. And yes, someone around here did report getting a ticket (or was it just a warning? anyway--they pay attention to that) for having the HOV stickers in the wrong places. And a couple of others did report ways to mount them for minimal paint damage. I even think I remember seeing someone who stuck them on magnetic backing so they could place them when needed and just not have 'em on the car when they weren't...I just KNOW that someone, if they read this far, will know what I'm talking about and where to find it.

20. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 14 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]286404[/snapback]</div>
    Wow - that is some rant. I guess the whole experience was pretty frustrating...

Before you try the magnetic backing approach, head out to your car with a magnet and see if you can find a spot where a magnet will stick. The body is the car is not made of metal, so you will have to find some piece of iron in the body that will hold a magnet. I personally do not think that the car has some place like that, but I have not tried it.

I mounted my stickers to the car in the recommended spot. Sure, I am not crazy about the color or what is going to happen when I need to pull them off, but I figure until then, I will proudly zip around in the HOV lane or other lanes showing that my Prius is deamed a clean air car by the State of California. Plus, I hope to heck that one of the many smart people on PriusChat figure out how to get that stupid sticker off if the exception is allowed to expire.

Good luck, R.

P&G, Baby...