1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California earthquake swarm

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jul 6, 2019.

1. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Rob,
    It couldn't have been Comdex without a time machine involved. :)
    Comdex started in 1979.

COMDEX - Wikipedia

Mike

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Now that's curious. I was in Las Vegas in December at a massive electronics/computer convention. There was an atomic bomb test that I heard and was reported in the news media. I got in trouble for spending too little money on the trip - the salesmen didn't appreciate my starving student spending style.

Guess I'll study the list of atomic tests for another one that might fit.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A coworker and I discovered that our bosses didn't like being made to stand out as sore thumbs on their own expense reports.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been through and along every section of this from Barstow and Ridgecrest to Gerlach to Oregon at least once, and the Reno to Mammoth section many times. The whole route is geologically impressive (don't forget side trips to Death Valley, the back entrance into Yosemite, and across central Nevada), but the Mammoth to Mono Lake segment is particularly so.

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Data about the pictures in #61

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many flat areas: watch out for lahars, or volcanic mudflows, often the runouts from upstream landslides. While these can be triggered by volcanic eruptions, many occur at unrelated times, from heavy rains, glacial outbursts of meltwater, earthquakes, or simply slope failures of the hotsprings-and-sulfuric-acid-weakened volcanic rock. Most flat plains near or upstream of Seattle and Tacoma are actually the remants of old lahars from Mt. Rainier, which was once several thousand feet higher before glaciers and very many slope collapses tore it down. Several went all the way to the ocean.

#67 fuzzy1, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    noonm and tochatihu like this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    That's a broad reading of lahars and may :) deserve some thought.

Mt. Rainier has been an event maker for last half million years. Setting up shop near it is an optimist's play.

==
    It's not worst (nor best) view of weather that parcels of air find themselves in wrong places and seek correction. In a horizontal sense, wind, and vertically, rain/hail/snow/etc. The atmosphere at least reveals its dissatisfaction to observers. Volcanoes and other zipper failures of quiet crust vs. angry stuff below are often surprising.

9. Liam howard

Liam howard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    4FDFFA69-98EC-44AD-B1B8-56CF7DE2274C.jpeg
    This is all the after shocks that this region of California is still experiencing. Compared to the rest of the world it is extremely active.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lots of news to catch up on after a week off-grid. I'll start with another glacial outburst on our local Mt. Rainier. While very minor in the overall scheme of things (very shallow and running only 8 miles), it caused additional damage to a road I'll need to hike or bike to a trail I want to revisit. This creek has had dozens of outbursts over the past half century, long ago closing it to non-NPS motor vehicles.

Massive boulders, floodwater rush down Mount Rainier after glacial outburst

Picture of the glacier's outflow cavern, August 8 2019: MountRainierNPS (@MountRainierNPS) | Twitter