1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California License Plates + HOV Sticker

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ArtVanDelay23, Nov 18, 2016.

1. JasonG

JasonG Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Finally received my stickers on April 1st! Took a week after the check was cashed...

2. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not to hijack this topic, but do Primes have to be smogged before renewing the license in California? How do they even do that and some users almost never even use the ICE.

3. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Charge the car up then nothing comes out of the pipe. Nothing to test.

4. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Was the dealer able to get you your plate number the day you signed the papers? Or did it take a few days? I'm planning on sending in my HOV app before I physically receive my plates.

5. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Six model years and newer are exempt for most cars in most CA counties, hybrids included. They just use a different testing method. It takes 5-10 minutes.

Q&As Hybrid Vehicles in the Smog Check Program

6. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Bummer :-(

7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Having to smog hybrids is new (last year or so). It is a real rip-off, since all the test does is plug into the OBD2 (diagnostic) port and read out the report from the diagnostic system.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  8. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And the mean time these loud motorcycles go around making noise and belching pollutants into the air, same with some diesel trucks exempt from smog test.

9. jrodz09

jrodz09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congrats! I am wondering where my HOV stickers went. Check dated 01/17/2017 / Check cashed 02/23/2017

10. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So i've been driving and loving the HOV lanes but i sure am seeing quite a few violators.

I have the F770 thinkware front and rear cameras. I would have video feed of them from the rear and front. I'd love to call out these drivers on a website and leave it to CHP to issue out any citations . Usually the violators i see jump into the car pool when traffic is at a stand still then scoot back out once it opens up again.

11. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just to clarify, the CHP can only issue citations for violations they personally witness. They can send nastigrams to violators reported by citizens, but they cannot cite them.

jrodz09 likes this.
  12. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    What's the latest news? How long are peoplewaiting from when the check's cashed to when you've received the stickers? I can't wait to send in my app once the plates are received.

13. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    that's too bad. people have balls using the HOV without proper stickers or occupancy.

what kind of person does that?

14. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Did somebody rip off your mail? You should have gotten them by now. Mine got held up because some idiot at the DMV didn't like my application and sent it back to me. The check was still attached to my app, and when I called the people at the DMV they said everything was correct and told me just send it back and try again. I did that and they cashed the check within about a week or so and I got my HOV stickers probably about two weeks later.
    Have you called the DMV?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    They are pond scum, lizard bait. Every so often though, I've seen them get nailed; you've gotta love it! I see it more often in Los Angeles though, than in Orange County. I think because in Orange County they don't have the closed-off lanes with the double stripes as often as they do in Los Angeles County. People must get frustrated, even the ones who are legally in the carpool lane, so they keep jumping back and forth. I just saw one of these guys get it from the CHP SUV the other day.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

lx.josh likes this.
  16. ArcPrime

ArcPrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Mailed my application form a week ago, crossing my fingers and waiting patiently to get my green decal. Too bad CA DMV doesn't have a website to check status. Or even better if CA DMV will authorize AAA to do it.

HPrimeAdvanced and alexcue like this.
  17. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From what others have posted, it seems it may take a while (sigh...) to get the green decals. I posted mine off about two weeks ago, but others were showing something like 2-3 months to get it? Back in 2006, if I remember right, it only took 2-3 weeks to get the old (defunct) gold stickers (and they were only $8 back then). Sigh... may have to wait quite a while for them.

Has anyone received their green stickers in less than 6 weeks?

ArcPrime likes this.
  18. ArcPrime

ArcPrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Per DMV website it should take 30 days. Well it's government talk. I don't understand is why would even take 30 days? Everything is on computer. Once they received check nowadays check cashing is quick, my dealer can scan and run the check through their machine it only takes a few seconds. Let's say 3 days to clear the check. VIN, license plate, home address all are in the DMV computer. How long does it take to check and print out a report then mail out the decal? We have to pay $22. If it was a private business, company would have been out of business already. Maybe my state representative need to ask Governor Brown about it.

19. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Once you get your car, wait a few days then call the DMV, wait FOREVER on hold for customer service and give them the VIN number. They will be able to give you your license plate numbers assuming the dealer has put it into the system. I did this to get a slight jump on my HOV sticker app.

From what I can see - about 3 weeks for plates and another 3 weeks for the sticker. You can probably get a 1-2 week jump on the HOV sticker app if you get through to the DMV.

YMMV

ArcPrime likes this.
  20. ArcPrime

ArcPrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I mailed my application form 1 week ago. They have not cashed my check yet. The fastest way to get HOV decal is to let your dealer order when you purchase your car. Deal is using REG 1000 D . Per CA DMV website. When my coworkers bought Fiat e500, their dealer applied the white decal for them. I guess most of the Toyota dealers are not doing it. Just like when I asked dealer about the $100 ChargePoint credit. They told me they have seen it before but not anymore. Promotion date expired. When I picked up my car I had to ask came sales to check if ChargePoint card is in the grove compartment. Anyway here is what CA DMV website says:

"When an eligible vehicle is sold, the dealer must:
    • Ensure the new vehicle owner receives the Clean Air Decal Certificate and decals.
    • Verify that the certificate and decals match the vehicle identification number for the vehicle being sold.
    • Itemize on line "2D-Other" of the sales contract the $22 fee charged for the CAV decals. If the fee is not charged to the customer, it should not be itemized on the sales contract.
    • Not required the new vehicle owner to complete an Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal (REG 1000) form."