1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California. Should I buy a '19 Prime now with $2500 incentives or wait until the end of the year?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PoundTown, Jun 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dc999

dc999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    can i ask what OTD was??

PoundTown likes this.
  2. PoundTown

PoundTown New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What was the sticker price?

3. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    2019 Prius Plus sticker price was $29071 - 2139 (dealer disc) = 26932 + 2600 (tax/title/fees) = 29532 - 2500 (Toyota incentive) = $27032 out the door. Then at some point in the future I get 4500 tax rebate from Fed, 1500 check from CA, 1900 SoCal Edison electric credit (plus TOU-D reduced kWh rate). So I think my actual cost was $16,532 + 2600 tax/title/fees = $19132. Tax, title, fees, electric company incentives, and state rebate depend on where you live. My example is for OC SoCal.

PoundTown likes this.
  4. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2020 will have Car Play, that might be worth the wait for some.

PoundTown likes this.
  5. dcninenine8

dcninenine8 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    is it possible, in any way, to upgrade the 2019 infotainment to a 2020? software/hardware upgrade? literally the only thing holding me back from a 2019. i'd pay up to 1000 to get it "upgraded"

PriusC_Commuter and PoundTown like this.
  6. mimsy

mimsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just purchased my plus a week or so ago. I used True Car and negotiated a little was able to purchase for $23,000 + ttl including the $2,500 dealer cash back. I purchased from Freeman Toyota in Santa Rosa, CA.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

WillDMac, MTN and PoundTown like this.
  7. PoundTown

PoundTown New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So as an update I took the advice to talk to a bunch of dealerships and surprisingly they came in pretty low. After getting lots of offers and sending them to each other and talking to lots of people, I ended up getting exactly what I wanted for paint and interior for about $16,500 after all the rebates and incentives etc plus tax and title. Which I'm extremely happy with. Also, never drove a Prius before at all, and this car is amazing and looks incredible imo. And I'm not risking Toyota dropping the 2500 incentive or them running out of stock. And in fact, the only reason I wanted to wait until the end of the year was to try to get a deal as good as this. Pretty surprised actually how low all the dealers were willing to go, although it was a lot of work to get there. I'm crazy happy with the purchase and thank you all so much for the advice.

benagi, drash, ETC(SS) and 3 others like this.
  8. PoundTown

PoundTown New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I actually saw somewhere someone claiming they can update the plus one to android auto. There's a video on youtube I watched. It's supposedly for the Tacoma or Corolla or something but it's supposed to work on the Prime. No idea about Apple Carplay, I searched for that. I think it was $700. Let me know if you want me to find you the link. I don't know the rules of posting links on this forum though.

9. kevin.c

kevin.c Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats on the new car!

Links are great, though you may want to post it to the infotainment forum.

PoundTown likes this.
  10. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Can you give a little breakdown please, specifically I'm curious what trim it was, how much the dealer reduce the price (not counting the 2500 incetive and other rebates), and which dealer it was.

11. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    GREAT JOB. its a pita, but to save thousands... worth it. please do a detailed price breakdown so we can see what was state specific. you mentioned a bunch of local rebates that we dont all get. like i said, i think there is a magic number the dealers will drop to pretty quickly once they realize you are a serious buyer, they are ready to deal to keep their quotas up !! random buyers who wander into the slaughter come in every day too, so they get enough of those. the educated buyer who pushes for rock bottom pricing is the minority, but still worth getting the sale to meet monthly stats...

12. PoundTown

PoundTown New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply. So the Toyota Incentive of 2500 + 4500 federal rebate + 1500 CA + 800 PG&E. Got them down to about 23,300. Sticker price was like 28,300 or 28,500 something like that. Which looked accurate for the msrp and destination fee actually. I was surprised it wasn't more inflated. Got them down to about 23,300 including the Toyota incentive. So about an additional 2500 off from the dealer from the sticker/msrp price. 23,300 - 6800 (federal, CA and pge that I will receive) = 16,500 true cost to me before tax and title. 26,000 out the door before what I'll receive back (6800) so 19,200 true out the door cost.

I just had the dealers bidding against each other through email basically and towards the end it was like pulling teeth per $100. Got to a price I was super happy with and went with it, a Plus with the exterior and interior colors I wanted. I think you're right about them not going below a certain point, I really think it would be quite difficult to get under 16k (true cost before tax and title) regardless of what incentives are available. So the price was amazing and I don't think I would be getting a better price if I waited until the end of the year. Although I could be wrong we'll see but either way imo its a great price for this amazing car. Also, I have the car now to drive instead of waiting for 6 months to hope they still have some in stock and hope they give a good incentive. And like I said, the only reason I was thinking of waiting until December was to hopefully get a deal as good as this. Still can't believe how much cheaper it is to get this better car over a standard Prius lol. Thanks rebates!

evpv and Prius from Dad like this.
  13. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    5555CF90-33ED-4EF0-BFB0-D996ADBC686B.jpeg

If you own a Prime Plus you can install an aftermarket stereo that has Apple CarPlay/Android. It should be under $1000 installed and probably has better features and sound than the factory stereo. Search the electronics forum in Prime and Gen 4 Prius for examples from people who have already done it.

Aftermarket head unit for model 2 2016 Prius | Page 4 | PriusChat

#33 evpv, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    PoundTown likes this.
  14. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for following up and congrats. Unfortunately, I already bought one myself before I saw your post. I got the advanced model and got an additional $3800 from the dealer discount, in addition to the $2500 Toyota cash. I didn't do the bidding war thing. I contacted one dealer via email and was offered $2000 off (the one they recommend if you're in Cali on the prices thread). I went to the dealer next to my house told them I want $3800 off, was offered about $1500 off. Went to the dealer by my work told them I want $3800 off. They said "we can do business."

I'm gonna be getting about $8800 back. I'm also in Cali. An extra $2k from my local "air district."

MidnightSun and evpv like this.