1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California tint law sucks! bye bye tints >_<

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Gilbert, Jun 13, 2008.

1. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good luck! (And say goodbye to your tint.)

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The main issue is can I see the driver's face behind the tinted driver's window. Where are they looking, do they see me as they are poised to pull across the road in front of me.

Just a couple days ago, some moron was at a stop sign, waiting to pull across the road, driver's window tinted very dark, I could barely see him. I slowed way down. I could see the driver waving, like, go ahead, etc... I turned right anyway to miss the dude. Honestly, people like that need to grow up. Scary they are in a driver's seat.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Quite true! Most folks don't believe me when I tell them that my fronts aren't tinted. They *seem* tinted just because there is less interior light due to the blocking from the rear.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Luck, sincerely, but you basicly admitted to the two infractions inwhich he sited you for. You admitted you had your cruise control set for 10 mph above the speed limit...that makes it speeding, and you admitted you had your front windows tinted. I'm not familiar with the tint laws of California, but if it's as cut and dry as no tint on front windows, then I'm afraid your sunk. What are you going to fight? You admitted to the officer the two conditions he sited you for.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot Penny pincher

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Besides giving the car sound system shop another source of revenue, what is the benefit of tinting windows? It keeps the car maybe .0004 degrees cooler. Other motorists, cyclists, pedestrians, etc cannot see the driver. At night, the driver cannot see nearly as well, whether side or rear windows. It's just plain stupid.

IMO, each State should mandate harsher penalties for tinting. And take the driver's license away for being an idiot.

6. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure its illegal to have the 2 front ones tinted....I still have mine though..its worth it. what you do is take the tint off, pay the fine ( I believe they have to see you actually took it off) then once that's over with, put the tint right back on and hope for the best!

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If your front windows are tinted then you are not going to win any battles in court on this issue. The law states that your windows must transmit a specific percentage of light (I forgot the actual number but it was between 70%-80%) through the window to be considered legal. On older cars this means you could use something like a 70% tint and still be legal BUT on newer cars like the GenIII Prius you already have the legal limit of tint built into the window so adding 70% aftermarket tint would actually drop you down closer to 60% or less.

So when an officer tells you that you cannot have ANY tint on the windows to the left and right of the driver's seat what he means is you cannot have any tint that most of us would consider "tinted", i.e. 50% or less. I have 70% on my front windows now (after getting 2 tickets) and it barely looks tinted but I still get the UV blockage of 99%. :)

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great that you have an opinion on the subject. :)

Some do it for looks, others do it for privacy and some do it for UV reduction (tint usually reduced UV transmission by 99%). I did it for all of the above. I really don't want people looking directly into my trunk and seeing what, if any, gear I have in there. Nor do I like having headlights of other vehicles blinding me from behind.

I'm sure you have habits or purchases that others would consider stupid so maybe try and think of that before you call others out for their purchases. :)

9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I can stick my big mouth into the debate once again, I'm sure people tint their windows for all the reasons you mention. Privacy issues aside, and perhaps some protection of the interior, I've always felt it made more sense to "tint" the space directly infront of your eyes on days you need it IE: Sunglasses, then it does to tint all your windows. This especially seems to make more sense if you are living in a state that has laws making tint on windows illegal.

I'm all for freedom of choice and allowing people to do what they wish with their automobiles BUT if you tint your windows in a state that has laws concerning tinting your windows, it would be wise to be aware of those laws. If you still wish to have it done in the face of the knowledge that you will be driving in violation of those laws, then either lobby to have the laws changed or get ready to pay X amount of tickets in X amount of time.

As far as getting the laws changed it's going to be a hard battle. Most of the benefits of tinting windows outside of the asthetic of how it makes the vehicle look, can be duplicated through other means. A sunshield blocks Heat and UV when parked, Sunglasses can reduce the glare, and even a Tonneau Cover does much to add to privacy of stored goods. Getting a public vote to change the laws is going to be difficult, as all it takes is law enforcement to state that it makes their job that much more dangerous in approaching a car during a pull over, and most people are going to understand that, and not vote for a change.

I don't think wanting your windows to be tinted is "stupid" but tinting them in a state where it's illegal and then complaining when you get cited and then have to have it removed is "stupid".

I used to like to drive fast, a lot more than I do today, and yes it probably was stupid....but if I got caught and when I got pulled over, I simply accepted the ticket as the price for driving "stupid". I didn't exclaim that I was going to go "fight it in court" when I knew I had no case at all.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree 100%. That is why I didn't complain and I simply removed the tint that was illegal and paid my fine. Since tinting the rear side and hatch glass is perfectly legal I left it on and am very happy with it. :)

The UV protection also helps drivers and passengers too. That was my reason for wanting it. I care more about my skin than the interior. lol

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As usual, F8L nailed this answer in his typical polite way. It isn't easy to be one of the "idiots" in your description, and not reply in kind.... My answer is the same as F8L's, except probably lots snarkier. :)

First... we can't put privacy and protection aside. Those are valid reasons for tint - and are the main reasons I use it.

Second... Whey my daughter was an infant, sunglasses wasn't an option. And with my dog it has never been an option. Tint keeps the back far more comfortable for the smaller ones in our family.

I'm not talking about the laws here (which I haven't violated, even though I'm in CA!). Most of my comments are aimed at the "I must be stupid if I put tint on my car) comments.

1 person likes this.
  12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot Penny pincher

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Top Ten Reasons To Tint Windows:
    10. It looks gangsta.
    9. I'm too lazy to put on sunscreen.
    8. Money burning a hole in my pocket.
    7. I like that other people cannot see me at 4-way stop signs.
    6. My sunglasses broke.
    5. It gives the police something to hassle with.
    4. Those pesky lights outside at night irritate me. waaah!
    3. Because that Leadfoot guy on Priuschat made me mad. waaah!
    2. It keeps my car .00004 degrees cooler.
    1. I'm paranoid somebody will peer into my car and steal my wallet and GPS unit lying on the passenger seat.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aww did it hurt your feelings that we gave rational reasons for having window tint? :violin:

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't buy it. You just want to look cool. :p

Btw, what is this "Sun" to which you refer?

Tom

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am as adamant I stay legal as the next guy, but as a born and bred Pacific Northwesterner now in the Deep South, I need the tint for the temperature reduction. I researched Mississippi law and I am legal. MS allows 28% and I am at 35%. (I have not tinted the front at all, I am too tall)

Without it, my A/C fan was still on high after 50 miles of driving, now it starts to slow down after 15 miles. Sunglasses won't do that. Sunscreen won't do that. None of your other 'reasons' will do that. So with the sides and back tinted I am cooler, still legal, and saving gas. I am sorry this bothers you.

16. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota recommends NO tint on the front window if you have NAV - they say it interferes with the GPS satellite signal. I was told in a driver safety course that here in NY, the cops will approach with a drawn gun if they can not see the occupants clearly.

17. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Listen, I never said that anyone was stupid for putting tint on your windows. The most I've said was that your stupid if you don't look up local laws concerning tint, and/or put tint in your windows in violation of those laws and then complain when you are "caught" in violation of those laws. Just know what is legal in your area, that's all I'm really saying.

I'm always going to side with people having the freedom to do with their personal property what they wish to do with their personal property. Whether that's a shiny plastic wood dash or tinted windows.

I'm just being honest when I say I wouldn't do it. I think it does look good. From the outside on most vehicles it really improves the look. But for me, the justifications just don't make too much sense. Your dog? Are you really worried that Rover doesn't have a pair of Blu-Blockers and might be squinting? Your infant? I think it's pretty easy to keep infants out of direct sunlight in a car, even if that means just taping a piece of cardboard ontop of a baby carrier. Or in cases like that, you could always use those suction cup removable sun screens and place it in the window temporarily where the baby is at risk of sun exposure.

Maybe it has a lot to do with where you live. I live in the Pacific NW. Full bright 100% sun days are relatively rare. This is the land of silver cloud cover. I keep and use- often, a pair of sunglasses but I don't think I'd need full tinted windows to advantage as far as glare goes for more than just a few weeks a year.

I don't mean to attack or seem to be attacking those that wish to tint. You can make a list of "why" you want to tint. I can present reasons I wouldn't tint. As long as it is legal? Tint Away.

One question I would pose, is that I've noticed when people are supporting tinting one thing they seem to avoid or don't mention is the following: Seems to me tinting is mostly advantageous for reducing heat, and glare...plus improving privacy. But heat and glare are mostly reduced in relationship to sunlight and daytime. I do a LOT of night time driving, inwhich I think tinting would really reduce the safety. When it's dark, I don't want my windows being darker. Seems kind of ridiculous that we have people wanting HID headlights to make things "brighter" and simultaneously we are tinting windows to make things "dimmer". Again, I live in the NW, but for me a big reason I wouldn't want tinted windows is there seems to me to be a lot of times driving when I wouldn't want tinted windows because I think they would actually be a disadvantage in vision. Nightfall comes at the end of a sunny day? I can always take my sunglasses off.

Anyway that's my honest opinion. But overriding that for me is my support of people doing whatever they wish. If you think tint for baby, rover, privacy, looks, glare, cooling, is all worth it? Please tint away....I do think it makes the auto look great.

18. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Which is why when pulled over, you should always roll all your windows down and your hands in plain sight. Makes the officers feel at ease which also makes them less likely to ticket you.

It might also keep them from noticing the tint on your front windows. ;)

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot Penny pincher

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nope. Why should my feelings be hurt? I'm not the ones defending such an inane and dangerous activity. Now that you mention it, I have not seen a single, valid, rational reason on this thread. The closest somebody came was saying they like the way it looked.:D

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And I'd like to appologize if that was inferred from my post. For the stupid part, I really should have quoted Leadfoot, who quite clearly said it was "stupid." I should not have lumped you in with him!

The most I've said was that your stupid if you don't look up local laws concerning tint, and/or put tint in your windows in violation of those laws and then complain when you are "caught" in violation of those laws. Just know what is legal in your area, that's all I'm really saying.

I'm always going to side with people having the freedom to do with their personal property what they wish to do with their personal property. Whether that's a shiny plastic wood dash or tinted windows.

I don't care much about his squinting. I just want to avoid baking him in the back, under that almost horizontal slice of glass over the cargo area. There are many reasons I use tint. The comfort of the passengers is certainly a biggie. Jeez. I'm not trying to defend tint to anybody. I just won't own a car her in the central valley of CA without it!

We can ignore all the law stuff because we're much in agreement. I don't do it illegally - but I do use it on all cars.

Same answer as the dog. And if you don't think it is enough hassle to have a baby in the car that I'd want to be suction-cupping or taping crap up... well, I'd have to guess you don't have a kid... or you don't live where it gets damn hot. The sun moves as you drive. The tint keeps it off the passengers. When the passengers are comfortable, I'm more comfortable. Adding tint was about the same price as adding floor mats. I'm not sure what the big problem is.

Absolutely.

I'm happy to mention it. I've found the right combination that works for me. I tint the sides pretty dark, and always tint the back window one shade lighter. And it is for the specific reason you mention. I want to see out. Yes, tinting reduces some of your vision at night. It also calms the headlights to the point where in many instances you can see MORE than just the blinding lights you see without tint. It is a balancing act. I take it all into consideration, and do what's best for my situation. And for me, that means 20% on the dies, and 35% on the back. I love this combination, and never feel like I'm driving in a cave. I've been in cars with super dark tint, and it does give me concern!

One thing to realize is that nobody (almost!) tints the windshield... the glass you look through where your headlights are making things brighter. The tint is keeping the OTHER guy's HID lights from blinding your through the back glass.

My tint isn't nearly as dark as my sunglasses. And as I've said... my windshield, and my two front side windows aren't tinted anyway.

Right on!

1 person likes this.