1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California Tinting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by innov8v, Jun 20, 2005.

1. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Venturer\";p=\"102217)</div>
    I tried a DIY eyebrow product I bought from Pepboys. It was a static cling.... however, it kept coming off in the morning.

This AM, I went to a local tint shop in LA and had my windshield done. It's very light tint... cuts off the sun and heat slightly, but not very visible. I'll post a pic if you want to see it.

2. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

Doug,

That's what I though you meant. I believe that tinters in your state are somewhat like those here in CA. You can get away with some fudging of the tint darkness sometimes.

BTW, here's a note I found on the Tintdude forum from a WI tinter regarding a windshield strip on a windshield without an AS-1 line.

I just wonder what the original infraction was that the cop pulled him over for? Bet he did something that pissed the officer off!

3. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Seems like every mini-van and SUV in Mass has rear tint of 20%! We have 35% limit..

Seems like Mass state and towns could make bank and reduce taxes in one shot, if they enforced this thing overnight - yikes~

4. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HYACK\";p=\"102243)</div>
    HYACK,

I know I've read somewhere that "MULTIPURPOSE" (SUV's and Trucks) vehicles have some sort of Federal exemption in regard to the "back glass" (rear only). The factory tint in these vehicles is sometimes referred to as "privacy glass".

I have been looking for the actual wording I found some time ago on the internet but have been unable to locate it. I do believe that the reference in the MA state law references to it where it states,

"This section shall not apply to:

(1) motor vehicles manufactured with windshields and window glass areas equipped in accordance with specifications of 49 Code of Federal Regulations 571.205 as authorized by 15 USC 1407."

I think that this code actually sends you to another reference where you find the "MULTIPURPOSE VEHICLE" regulations where the rear glass can be factory tinted to 20%. I just haven't been able to find it.

The problem with the rear glass in these vehicles is that it is NOT tint. It's actually a glazing compound within the glass itself. It would be impossible to remove. The glass would have to be replaced.

5. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv\";p=\"102109)</div>
    Doug,

35% isn't exactly "one step darker than legal". It's actually much darker than legal since 50% is the max for the front side windows in WI. Even using 50% on the front's would have put you over the legal limit since WI is NET VLT = Window + Tint.

Also, since the Prius does NOT have an "AS-1 LINE" on the windshield doing an "EYEBROW" is also illegal.

I hope that the tint laws aren't strictly enforced in WI as an officer just looking at your car will know it's illegal.

Here in CA, depending upon which city you're in the tint laws aren't too strictly enforced unless you're being stopped for other infractions. I went through a DUI checkpoint last Saturday at about 12:30 AM and there was no mention of the tint as I had both front side windows down when I went through. Although my windshield eyebrow is illegal by 2 inches. Also, my 50% front sides are illegal here as 70% is the max. But I figured since it is quite a bit lighter than what I have on the rear I should be able to slide by.[/b][/quote]

Santa Clara County Sheriff pulled me over for my front windows being tinted and gave me a fix it ticket. He was clueless, as the fronts were 70%. He told me no tint is allowed at all. CHP signed it off and just laughed at the SO saying" they are still learning to read the DMV guide". That was the only reason the SO pulled me over. And I work with them in the 911 system, and he still wrote me up for this BS. I started carrying a printed out copy of the DMV code on window tint. Then the next time I saw this loser on scene I handed it to him and told him the CHP signed it off for me and laughed at him as he did. I did it in front of two of his partners - that should should teach him a little respect. But my point is, they can and will pull you over for just tint. It only takes one officer having a bad day. And they have a lot of them.

6. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In california, on the front windows you must have 70% visible light transmission (vlt). I was wondering if anyone had tried the Huper Klar or the Klassisch 8 window coatings? The Klar offers an 85% vlt and seems it would be perfect for the front windows. I don't know about the Klassisch 8 which is an antiglare coating for the top four inches of the front windshield.

THere is more information about the coating here:

http://www.huperoptik.com/Singapore.asp?ca...at=NaviAuto.inc

I have also seen from other posts that Song's Tint Masters is a good place to get Huper Optik coating in southern california. Has anyone used them recently? What did they charge and how long does it tale. Do you have pictures of you car?

Thanks

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I used to have louvres on the two previous hatchbacks I owned but obviously they don't make them anymore. I guess it was an '80s thing. But it sure did cut down on the heat.

What tint shop did you use and did you get Huper Optik? I've decided to invest in the Huper Optik tint for the heat rejection properties. (It may not be cost effective but I want to get rid of the Heatshield window shades and am putting in tint as an offset to inferior but easier to use window shades.)

I'm looking for a good shop in San Diego that does Huper Optik.

I'm looking at doing the rear and back passenger windows with something akin to the lower hatch window. I'll probably do the forward windows and possibly the windshield with the lightest ceramic tint they make to cut down on the heat and hopefully go undetected. As I understand from another reply I can do the front but I can't seem to find the specific language on the dmv.ca.gov website.

If you can recommend a good shop in San Diego that will save me some time. Thanks.

8. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I found source for state tint laws here:

http://www.tintcenter.com/

it is option 4.

I wanted to go with the Huper Optik because they were the only one that made a tint light enough to be used on the front windows in california