Featured California to boycott Toyota products

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Arroyo, Nov 29, 2019.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    can't register older trucks? makes one wonder why he didn't just sell the older tractor, buy a glider tractor, so he'd have a new vin, put the new motor in the glider & move on ..... he might still owe $20K ... but .... skip a few Big Macs & Fries over a 5yr loan (low interest now days) , & the financing should be a breeze. Likely that came out on cross-exam, but that wouldn't overemphasize the witness' point I suppose. Life is hard. It's great to ease the misery of life's hardness, but there's a giant downside from making things too easy on too many. This, from someone who had to sleep in a car, & in a dilapidated trailer on occasion. Great motivator to work one's way through graduate school & onto a better life.

#81 hill, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    an individual negatively affected by government regulations? unprecedented!!!

(we used to call it democracy:rolleyes:)

scona and dubit like this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is no dispute from me that for the last decade or so that California has pursued GHG reduction as the top priority.

I only suggest that is unilateral and defacto setting the national policy because automakers have to comply with Ca. mandates.
    Congress gave Ca. control over pollutants to help Ca. solve special geographic related smog issues, not to to allow Ca. to take control over national climate change policy and not to mandate Ca.'s political correct preferences on the US auto market..

"...Ozone is another problem due to vehicles emissions. Breathing ozone can trigger a variety of health problems including chest pain, coughing, throat irritation, and congestion. Ozone forms when nitrogen oxides (NOx), carbon monoxide (CO) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs), react in the atmosphere in the presence of sunlight."

OK on Ozone...but what I am trying to say NOx, CO, VOC are essentially zero from (USA) cars today. The 3-way catalytic converter destroys exactly those three pollutants, quite handily. CARB cars like Prius get low MPG first 5 minutes to minimize warm-up emissions. If you have proof the warm-up period is serious smog issue for Ca....let me know. Certainly the Ca. past several governors rhetoric has been that GHG control is their over-riding policy strategy.

So now lets go diesel/trucks and yes we still got NOx etc etc.

#83 wjtracy, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    scona and austingreen like this.
  4. priusdon

priusdon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even with the collection system, gasoline stations still smell like... gasoline.
    Maybe it's all those people squeezing... that.. last.... bit... more... in... until it dribbles, ok I'm full.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Warm up emissions are still an issue. The gen1 Volt initially didn't qualify for California incentives because of a spike of CO during start up.
    And essentially zero once everything is warmed up and running right still adds up when there are millions of sources. They were essentially zero before the switch to ultra low sulfur gasoline, yet that was needed to allow even better cats to work, and existing cats to keep reducing emissions for longer.