1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured California to boycott Toyota products

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Arroyo, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Many homes in California use natural gas for heating and hot water. How many have switched to hydrogen for that?

The city of Lancaster has a digester making renewable natural gas. They will be turning that NG into hydrogen for their project. The carbon will keep cycling under this plan. The city might already have the NG infrastructure in place to use it in homes and businesses.

There are other emissions with using in vehicles, but it burns far cleaner than gasoline in an engine.

2. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It actually makes me angry to see Iwatani and Toyota congratulating themselves on bringing these new hydrogen refueling stations to Southern California. It is the California taxpayers who brought these refueling stations to Southern California. I can guarantee that Iwatani and Toyota does not pay for either building them or running them because these stations cost millions to build and lose money, just like the cars.

Sometimes I think California is an 'enabler'--kind of like someone who helps their friends to do drugs. It makes them feel better even though they are worse off in the long run, and the best thing their friends can do is stop giving them money so they can get off the habit and get their life back in a more productive direction. California taxpayers are actually hurting Toyota as a company by paying out all these pointless subsidies for hydrogen.

hill, bwilson4web and Trollbait like this.
  3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What does this have to do with vehicles?

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad we still live in a Democracy and we can still have choices of how to spend our money for transportation and not be restricted to BEV only.

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, the proposed hydrogen economy is far more than transportation for one thing. Focus just on cars and it won't succeed.

The other is that natural gas is a contributer to global warming. The city of Lanscaster has a source of renewable gas that can be used for power or heating while displacing fossil gas use. Instead they are throwing some of that energy away by reforming it for hydrogen; mainly for cars, and they don't even have a hydrogen station.

Displacing fossil gas now with renewable would do more good than making hydrogen. If the hydrogen economy does start working out, they can also use the renewable gas for hydrogen then.
    Did you have a choice when California raised registration fees for hydrogen?

hill and Zythryn like this.
  6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Registration fees went up on all vehicles.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How much did you contribute to these refueling stations?

8. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you are right:

California Approves $39.1 Million for Hydrogen Cell Stations (governing.com)

Quote from article:

Not everyone is cheering, though.

Wayne Winegarden, senior fellow at the Pacific Research Institute, a San Francisco-based organization that advocates free-market solutions to policy issues, said state agencies should not be funding such projects.

"I have nothing against the technology," Winegarden said. "There are better ways to support innovation, which is what the state should be doing, especially in light of the budget crisis we're already facing, the homelessness crisis, the wildfires. It's the state playing the role of venture capitalist."

t_newt, hill and Trollbait like this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    To pay for hydrogen ones.

Those increases to registrations, and whatever portion of his state taxes is diverted to those stations.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I remember a Toyota commercial showing that. Did it ever become a YouTube?

Bob Wilson