1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured California to go all zero-emission vehicle (ZEV) by 2035

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I also noticed the warranty requirements for ZEV batteries:

(d )Requirements for ZEVs. ZEVs must meet the following requirements:

(1) Certification-Range Value. Minimum certification-range value greater than or equal to 200 miles, determined according to the “California Test Procedures for 2026 and Subsequent Model Year Zero-Emission Vehicles and Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles, in the Passenger Car, Light-Duty Truck and Medium-Duty Vehicle Classes”, dated [INSERT DATE], incorporated by reference, referred to henceforth in this regulation as the “2026 ZEV and PHEV Test Procedures.”

(2) ZEV Durability Requirement for Useful Life.

(A) For 2026 through 2029 model year vehicles, be designed to maintain, for at least 70 percent of the vehicles in a test group, 70 percent or more of the certification-range value, for a useful life of 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and comply with data reporting requirements in CCR, title 13, section 1962.7.

(B) For 2030 and subsequent model year vehicles, be designed to maintain, on average for all the vehicles in a test group, 80 percent or more of the certification-range value for a useful life of10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and comply with data reporting requirements in CCR, title 13, section 1962.7.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If there is gas to sell profitably, anyway.

We are likely to see some weird effects. Pump breaks? eh, maybe don't pay to replace it. Just make do with fewer pumps since all the real profit is in selling coffee and soda anyway.

No gas stations remaining in the area? Mobile delivery (temporarily) flourishes at a premium price. The gasoline buying experience is likely to get a lot worse before the fuel is unobtainable.

So I reckon that gas will be available well after 2035, but it might seem completely weird to anyone used to the present ways.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Depending on how the prices go, might be renewable gas by then.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    States that currently go with California set standards now are objecting.

Ford Mustang EV price climbs as much as $8400.

And used EV sale prices skyrocket.

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thet're also banning new gas stations in California.

6. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some people will always have a tough time adapting to new products/technologies. Mostly conservatives. Back in the 1930s when cars were mass-produced, they argued that cars were too expensive and it's impossible to build roads all over the world. They wanted to keep their horses and carriages. Now they all drive cars. Even in the late 2000s when smart-phones came out, a lot of them didn't like it and preferred phones with physical buttons. Now look at them all using smartphones. This is just simply how the world works despite all kinds of misinformations, conspiracies, and propagandas out there.

Gokhan likes this.
  7. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What percent of cars will be use
    I don't know nor care much about politics.

All I can say is my own experience. I tried to drive a Nissan Leaf for about a year. To be honest, the wife and I liked it. The problem was about 6 months after buying it I had to start making a +140 mile trip at least twice a week. So here's what happened:

Road trips weren't much of a problem during the summer. We did a 700 mile round trip in it and a 450 mile round trip too. The problem was planning for placed to charge and getting there and finding broken charging stations.

The 140 mile (70 miles one way) trip got old. There was only a charging station at the destination, nothing in between. With a 2,000ft raise in elevation on the way back I had to really hypermile the car, driving along at 25mph until I was sure I had enough juice to make it home.

What put a nail in the coffin was one day it made it only about 30 miles and died. That was starting with a 100% battery charge, but the weather was super cold, about -15°F. Even driving with no heater it still died like that. It was on the first incline, and even going up it at 25mph the battery level dropped nearly instantly.

The thing is we don't make enough money to own two nice cars. The Leaf was our first nice and newish car we had ever owned. The first car that wasn't at least 15 years old and that had less than 200,000 miles on it. It didn't make sense for the Leaf to be our grocery getter or work commuter and the ol' 1985 VW clunker our car we took on road trips.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The news I have seen is that other CARB states are watching carefully. Some are planning to follow suit. I have not heard of any “objecting”.
    I don’t see why they would, as they are not required to follow suit.

Blue states poised to copy California’s gas-car phaseout - POLITICO

Prices are crazy right now. I don’t see that any price increases can be linked to this while other, larger, forces are at work.

Especially since the rebates won’t apply to all buyers, yet a general MSRP increase does.

#28 Zythryn, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Was your Leaf one with less than 100 miles of range?

The current base Leaf is $28k with 149 miles of EV range. It might even have a heat pump for the cabin. that started becoming an option in 2013.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some of us wonder if between charges of racism and anti-Autoplilot/FSD statements, California wants to ban Elon Musk.

Bob Wilson

#31 bwilson4web, Aug 26, 2022
    Gokhan likes this.
  12. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a 2013 SL with heat pump and 24kWh battery that started with all 12 capacity bars (but had just lost one right before I sold it, so had about 85% capacity left). The heat pump wouldn't work at temperatures much less than 0°F though. The car cost me $9,000 and I sold it for $7,000.

Mind you, that same route and that same driving style would have netted me well over 100 miles in the summer on that same 100% charge. I once did over 120 miles driving like that, so it seemed like the range was cut to 1/4th by the cold alone as there was no snow on the road.

Trollbait likes this.
  13. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'd be fine with banning Elon Musk...Not Tesla...but Elon, sure...:whistle:

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I figure two more Tesla factories in the Northeast and Northwest. Then move Hawthorn to Washington State and give both Fremont and Hawthorn to the State of California,

Bob Wilson

15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In the 1930s, there were electric trolleys all over the place. After World War II, the automobiles took over, and the trolley wires and rails were removed. In Southern California, the thousands of miles of trolley lines known as Pacific Electric Railway Red Cars and Los Angeles Railway Yellow Cars were replaced with freeways, and the region became the smog capital of the world.

#35 Gokhan, Aug 26, 2022
  16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    BEVs have been making big improvements since then. The Leaf has at least double the range of your old one, and very likely was lower priced new. Nissan's newer BEV models are moving to active battery conditioning, so they won't be as affected by the cold.

We'll continue to see improvements in performance and cost as California's law phases in new BEVs.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Can we drop the B from BEV now? Fuel-cell EVs are a rarity. LOL

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    PHEVs aren't.:)

They do see the performance benefits that BEVs do, but having an engine means less benefit to over all ownership costs.

Zythryn likes this.
  19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    But then we would have to call PHEVs PHBEVs. ;) One can also have PHFCEVs (fuel cell), PHSCEVs (super capacitor), and PHCAEVs (compressed air) in principle.

I suggest that we stick with the acronyms EV, PHEV, and FCV for simplicity. Hopefully people don't interpret ZEV as zero-electric vehicle.

farmecologist likes this.
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    No more so than the feds ... that try to work to prevent Tesla (one of the few remaining/mostly USA made vehicles) from tax incentives.