1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured California to go all zero-emission vehicle (ZEV) by 2035

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You forgot HEVs.

The majority of reports and articles using EV are discussing PHEVs and BEVs together; that is plug ins. I use BEV to differentiate when I'm not including PHEVs, because it is easier than non-ICE EV.

What federal tax incentives has Tesla not gotten? The union supporting one? That failed, and never became law. The bill that did pass probably gives Tesla a bigger advantage than the other EV makers.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes quite a crazy thing: Blue states demand 100% BEV, and the Red states benefit by being where the car plants want to locate, so in that sense there is bipartisan support.

Virginia we have out-of-sight annual car taxes, which with inflation have escalated into the absolute nutz category. So we'd probably have to forgive car taxes on EV's (I figure cumulative $25k on a $100k car). The "localities" (as we call them) would be terrified at the potential loss of revenue. I think we run the state based on needing to achieve low actual property taxes (houses/land/businesses), so super-tax on cars is our relief valve to balance the budgets.

Virginia is back to Purple state, but we were all Blue briefly, and the Blue guys set in stone and mandated that Virginia MUST follow all California clean car regs. We argue about what that means? We do not really know what that means...there has not been any real changes so far.

#42 wjtracy, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    But again, HEVs are typically also BEVs because they have batteries. We should call them HBEVs to be precise, as you can also have nonbattery HEVs with a supercapacitor, fuel cell, or compressed air. Likewise, you can have an all-electric vehicle that uses compressed air or a supercapacitor as the storage device, which would disqualify it from being a BEV.

Anyway, the term BEV seems to have historical significance, but I don't like it for the reasons I mentioned, such as for incorrectly classifying electric vehicles, and also for sounding ugly. I don't think any automotive OEM would choose to market their all-electric EVs as BEVs. Imagine the emblem below saying "BOLT BEV." Yikes. :eek:

[​IMG]

4. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or the new Bolt BEUV.

You forgot the WEV, wired electric vehicle. :ROFLMAO:

Gokhan likes this.
  5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Take out the OLT and you have B EV:p

Gokhan likes this.
  6. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SEV... Solar Electric Vehicle???

Gokhan likes this.
  7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The terms BEV, PHEV and HEV are in wide use, worldwide.
    BEVs are powered solely by electricity, so no, HEVs are not also BEVs as HEVs also are powered by gas.
    Similarly, Fuel Cell vehicles are not BEVs even though they have batteries, they are categorized as FCEVs.

If any vehicle that had a battery was defined as a BEV, then you would have to include ICE vehicles since they all use 12 Volt batteries;)

8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If only the EV industry could get their hands on Christopher Lee's solex agitator.

9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Only if the 12-V battery powered an electric motor that in turn powered the wheels.

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    But you omitted that requirement. You simply said:

Most (all?) HEVs can't move without gas. The motive power is provided by an ICE engine, not an electric motor.

11. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought "solex agitator" was what I was using to clean the carb on my ol' 1972 Beetle.

[​IMG]

Anywho, I hope solar efficiency does increase. I have 100A service on my house (rental) which may be enough for a 40A EVSE, but then again by code it may not be enough. So maybe a 20A EVSE?? Or could I do with just 15A 120V for charging something like a Tesla?? But at my father-in-law's place he only has 30A 120V service. Not a lot for adding an EVSE!

An Aptera would be nice. I'm not sure where I'd put the kids though.

Gokhan likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    just not sure ... if price height limits come into play .....

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    HEV, PHEV, and EV are terms defined by the SAE in the J1715 standard. Others, like BEV, EREV, and REx, might be in there, but I'm not spending $80, or whatever the SAE wants, to see. I do know the HEV definition doesn't specify the source of electricity. A series hybrid without a battery is a HEV. I think the fuel cell terminology is under a different standard.
    J1715B (WIP) Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) and Electric Vehicle (EV) Terminology - SAE International
    Those hit others besides Tesla, and Tesla should be cutting their 'market adjustment' portion of the price once demand starts dropping.

Gokhan likes this.
  14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This is not factually correct. The Prius HEV has an "EV" mode that allows it to travel all-electric at low speeds for short distances.

You missed by previous point. You can make an HEV with a battery or without a battery. In principle, you can make an HEV using a supercapacitor, compressed air, or rechargeable fuel cell as an energy-storage device. That's why I said, to be precise, an HEV should be called an HBEV. BEV is an ambiguous term unless you know that the term was somehow adopted to refer to all-electric vehicles. It would only be an unambiguous term if it were BOEV (battery-only electric vehicle). I think, in ten years from now, nobody is going to use the term BEV except for a few techies. In fact, hardly anyone uses it at the moment other than techies.

Meanwhile, show me one vehicle with a "BEV" emblem on it. "EV" is the marketing term OEMs use.

[​IMG]

15. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Um, where did the energy for that electricity originate? Was it not from gasoline? Even if all the energy in the battery were from regenerative braking, originally the engine burned gasoline and built up the kinetic energy that was then turned into electric energy where it was stored in a chemical in the battery. So sorry, but it is factually correct even if a traditional hybrid has an "EV" mode.

16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The battery has to be charged once through the power grid in the factory. ;)

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the Prius can operate in a restricted mode for a very short period of time. I am curious, will EV mode work with no gas in the tank?

I didn't miss your point, I disagreed with it.
    EV, BEV, PHEV, HEV and a couple other lesser used categories are not meant to be an owner's manual of information. They are categories.
    EV is a general category. BEV, PHEV & HEV are subcategories of EVs. They are general categories.

Badges on cars are pure marketing and have nothing to do with reality. Are there any badges that describe how many cup holders a vehicle has? Or the horsepower?

You are asking a term for a general category to be something it isn't.
    Kind of like complaining that a hammer isn't a screwdriver.

Trollbait likes this.
  18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Again, BEV is not a logically correct term either. It should be BOEV (battery-only electric vehicle). BEV is used for historical reasons, despite not being an accurate, full, or unambiguous description for someone not familiar with the term.

19. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Badges can eventually end up becoming technical terms. 4WD and AWD mean, or meant, basically the same thing, something that turns all 4 wheels. Take the 1980's and 90's Chevys and GMCs. The 4WD system on a Sonoma was basically the same as the AWD system on the Astro, at least internally, In fact, they were interchangeable, the Sonoma's being a bit more robust and with a low range built in so it's common for some Astro or Safari owners to swap a Sonoma "4WD" transfer case in where the "AWD" transfer case, that worked on the same principal, used to be.

But now try to tell someone that AWD and 4WD are the same thing and you might as well as be trying to support the Flat Earth Society.

Gokhan likes this.
  20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps it should be TVIOBE (This vehicle is only battery electric).
    Demanding more precision for the sake of precision can simply cause confusion.

It is not unusual for people new to a particular market to not know what all the acronyms mean. I don’t think anyone that doesn’t know what BEV means would intuit what BOEV means.

Trollbait likes this.