1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California's PG&E Minimum Charge Increasing September '15

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iplug, Sep 15, 2015.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Great news solar panel owners. Just received a letter from PG$E that Starting September 1, 2015 the monthly minimum charge will increase from $4.50 to $10.00. Can't believe the California PUC let's them get away with this.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well thank goodness I exceed $100 every month, I don't have to look at those minimums

3. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's the minimum. If your total for the NEM cost year is more than $120 it doesn't effect your true-up amount. In any case $66/year... big deal.

However, the cost of baseline electricity has gone up 2.66%. In my case that will be a whole $9 for the year.

#3 CaliforniaBear, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  4. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Frustrating in my case as I am net zero. Feeling less generous about giving even more unearned money to PG&E. This is going to make me less green as I'll probably run the AC more in the summer to a nice chilly temperature.

Then again, maybe in a year we will have a second PHEV/BEV and then this won't be an issue.

5. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well since you are net zero you don't need PG&E... oops that won't work. So being the battery/buffer PG&E is providing a service. Or you could buy an expensive off gird system with a really big battery. Perhaps $10 a month isn't such a bad deal. :)

6. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The $10 isn't a connection fee and would be happier about it if it wasn't a subsidy to PG&E or non/low solar owners. Everyone should pay that.

In my case, I over-generate during peak hours and PG&E sells that to my neighbors at $0.33/kWh. I get worse than nada for that. It is providing a service, just to PG&E.

7. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Great!....not. So far haven't received this letter from SoCal Edison, but I expect it any day.

I hear you. This is not the way to encourage people to conserve!
    This (raising minimum rates) is going to push me to get completely off the grid with battery storage. Yes, I know it is not cost effective in the short term, but over the long run, will quickly pay for itself. My Solar City PV system will pay for itself in about 7 years at current rates. But as more and more users go solar, electric rates are sure to go up and the utility companies will try to find a way to charge solar users for electricity they produce on their own! Quite a scheme if you can get away with it, and the PUC seems willing to let them.

8. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your only choice is to go off grid since the connection to PG&E is such a problem and so expensive. I'm sure that will make your whole installation more economical... or not.

9. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Short term, no. Long term, definitely yes. Relatively economical battery storage is close to fruition (google Solar City's power wall).

10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm ok with electric utilities making a fair profit, and agree the calculus will change as the grid evolves with renewables.

But looking at the comprehensive breakdowns of fee schedules, the utilities would have you believe they have already accounted for the different cost items such as generation, transmission, connectivity, maintenance, etc. Then they come up with these other new fees hoping that no one is paying attention or just not caring.

It's widely known in California that the private utilities charge significantly higher rates than the public municipalities. So either the likes of PG&E are overcharging, they are subsidizing municipalities, or some combination of both.

Come on Bear. One can also complain :D and there is hope for positive progressive change California. In a fair system solar homeowners benefit the utility and vice versa. In this example, though, its a one way street to the utility.

11. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When you go off grid be sure to have the PG&E wires removed from your house. That way there will be no chance you ever have to pay a few dollars a year to PG&E. If something goes wrong with your system I'm sure the supplier will show up to fix it quickly and for no cost.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note also that public utilities get first dibs on cheap legacy hydropower facilities. Up here, that makes fair comparisons of public vs private very difficult.

13. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, Solar City, per contract, will show up to fix it quickly at no cost. I don't know about other "fly by night" companies.

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  15. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

16. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    You say that almost like you don't know PG&E is selling that power to somebody else and making a profit from it.

17. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of course they are. It makes up for a small part of the larger profit they would have made from you without solar panels. That small profit helps pay for system maintenance so you will have a backup in case something goes wrong with your solar system. As discussed above if you don't want the backup you can cut the power lines and return their meter. Its the deal you made when you signed up for solar. If you didn't like the deal you should have forgotten solar and continued to pay large electric bills.

18. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's good to know. When off-grid systems are available for a reasonable cost I'll have to look at the Return-on-investment to see if its actually a good deal. It would have to be pretty cheap to replace my $200 to $300 annual electricity costs. My present system gives about an 8% ROI.

19. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, that is certainly one way to look at it if you are an accountant. Or you can look at it as an investment in your grandchildren's future, regardless of the cost. It is your choice whether to put money in your pocket now, or protect the environment for generations to come.

20. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a good thing to do if you can personally afford a few thousand dollars for possible future benefits. Some of we retired folks have to consider how to best use our resources to live today and for some unknown years ahead. I believe the ROI (sorry) would be better on broad based programs for significant reductions in carbon-based fuel use.