1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Caliper and rotor replacement at only 22,000 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2019 Prius Massachusetts, Jun 6, 2022.

1. 2019 Prius Massachusetts

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I have a 2019 Prius that I bought used from the dealer. It had been a dealer loaner car and had only 8,000 miles on it when I bought it in the fall of 2020.

Since then I have driven it only a moderate amount (mostly local driving and a couple of longer trips) and now there are about 22,000 miles on it. I have brought it into the dealer for all recommended device on the recommended schedule. It drives well and I have had no problems with it at all, it seems to be in great shape to me.

I just brought it in for regular service—tire rotation, fluid and filter changes. The dealer does a “multipoint inspection” every time I bring it for service and until now they haven’t found any issues.

They’re now said they found that the brake pads were worn unevenly, that the calipers “would not compress back” and that the rotors are badly scored. They say that the rear pads and rotors need to be replaced and the rear left and right calipers need to be replaced.

I can see needing to replace the brake pads now, that seems reasonable to me. But needing to replace the rotors and calipers on on a 3 year old car with only 22k miles on it seems nuts to me.

They gave me an estimate of more than $800 for doing that work. They also recommended “fuel induction service” for another $130, so the total estimate with tax is $1,060. They said the fuel induction service didn’t need to happen now, it could wait a while. I need to look up what that is, I’m not familiar with it.

Anyway, my main issue is replacing the rear rotors and calipers. I have not noticed any bake performance issues at all. It doesn’t squeal or jerk or make any thumping noises like I have experienced in other cars in the past that needed brake work. I feel like I’m being scammed by the dealer and wanted to hear whether other people have experienced issues like this.

Is it even possible for gently driven car with only 22k miles on it to need new rotors and calipers? What should I do?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Get a second opinion and/or inspect them yourself if practical. 22K is not even the first (regular) service interval for brakes (30K miles or 3 years). Prius brake pads normally last a long time, at least 100K miles.

Definitely pass on the fuel induction service, especially at your miles; they sound like hustlers, frankly.

Attached Files:

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Shouldn't it be covered by a 3yr/36kmile full warranty? Something is fishy here. The routers/pads and calipers replacement for $800 at a dealer is actually too low. I usually end up paying more than $500 for a pair of routers/pads without calipers.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pads might not be covered by the warranty since they can always say they are a wear item. But Prius brakes normally last about 200,000 miles. You could have road salt damage, but I'd definitely get a second opinion or look for myself. I check mine every 10,000 miles when I rotate the tires.

Doug McC and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Definitely get a second opinion on the repair work they are telling you to get. As for the fuel induction service, they are probably just adding on more unnecessary service.

I would run some fuel additives and call it good.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it ernie boch?

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They saw you coming.

Doug McC likes this.
  8. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Agree on the second opinion, however, being a loaner, if my brother ever drove it I could see that happening! . I once sold him a car with brand new brakes (that I installed) and the way the idiot drove the poor car he wore the brakes out in less than 2000 miles and blamed me for it! When ever I rode with him my whole body would ache for days after!!!!

9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If your brakes indeed need the work; they specified - How is it not covered under the 3yr/36K mile warranty. The defective calipers are the root of all these problems. Now if you wore-out those brakes by dragging them - one foot on the gas and another on the brakes; that wouldn't be covered. But that wasn't stated.
    Beat them at their own game and use their own words against them.

FWIW; my Prius C had more than 90K on them - still had more than half the pad left on them. The piston side was slightly thinner than the outside pad; but that's to be expected.

I'd start looking for a more honest dealer....

Doug McC and Salamander_King like this.