1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Call me silly, but I am NOT waiting on 5,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Signboy, Nov 28, 2005.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    H:

Originally I thought waste oil furnaces were a great idea. Then I started to think of all the heavy metals they would spew into the air.

J

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've got a friend who works at a transmission shop, they burn all their old oil and fluids to heat the shop. They ahve the doors open often in the winter so it solves a couple problems.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry, I meant all the heavy metals spewed out the chimney.

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

No I guess I didn't explain myself. Its a big shop and it would be a killer to heat since they bring cars in and out the big bay doors all day. So they solve the extra oil + tranny fluid by burning it. I don't think they care about the envoirnmental problems they are causing.

5. itstwowords

itstwowords New Member

So you'd prefer to spit out polluted oil almost twice as often as everyone else?

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Gotcha

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm filtering the waste oil thru coffee filters, to at least
    catch the big chunks. That probably doesn't actually get the finer
    metal content, but it's enough to go through the burner nozzle and
    not gunk it up. On some of the early loads I saw the occasional
    "sparkly" effect near the top of the flame, which for all I know
    could be from metals.
    I think waste-oil burners designed for the purpose have pretty good
    filters too; they'd have to given the completely unknown mess that's
    going into them.
    _H*

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Someone gets turned off when you share your professional experience with us??? I think most of us came to Prius Chat so we could benefit from the experience of others. For myself, I find your posts fascinating. Thanks for taking the time to share!

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Insolubles and high moisture content can also cause that.

I agree, every waste oil burner I've seen had a high quality filter manifold with 30-50 micron primary - with clear bowl to drain the water and chunks - and a 5-10 micron secondary to capture the fine stuff. Parker (Racor division) makes high quality fuel filters, including carts for reclaiming used oil. I have their manifold on my diesel storage tank:

http://www.parker.com/EAD/displayCatalog.a...roducts=changed

I actually DID consider a waste oil furnace for my detached garage/shop at my hobby farm. With my diesel tractor, old Ford F-150 for plowing, a garden tractor, and my personal vehicle, I usually generate 40-60 litres of waste oil per year.

It's when I started thinking of the heavy metals that the waste oil furnace would spew out the chimney, I backed away from the idea. Though you wonder what really happens to your waste oil when you pour it down the magic hole at the landfill reclamation centre.

For all I know, the pipe goes into a ground leach pit.

<_<

10. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't believe you generate that much oil. From your posts and they way you reuse oil I'm surprised you produce any waste at all.

:lol:

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but I really do generate that much used oil per year.

Every other year about twice as much again, as I have to change the TDH oil in the tractor, and that thing has a HUGE sump for the hydraulic/transmission/differential oil.

I'm still wondering where the municipal dump sends that used oil. For all I know, they have a secret pipe that just dumps it on the ground.

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, after staring at the flame a bit more and listening to the
    pump have a little more difficulty pushing a slightly more viscous
    mix, I think the "sparklies" are simply globules that didn't atomize
    quite enough and are burning a little later. Now, what *heavy*
    metals would be present in waste oil that aren't simply normal metals
    used in engine construction? Where would things like mercury and
    cadmium come from in the process of normal lubrication?
    _H*

13. Surfinbird

Surfinbird Junior Member

I read my manual (like a good owner) and have changed the oil at 5000 and 10000. The service guys at my Toyota dealer haven't read the manual tho... the little reminder sticker says "Next oil change 13000 miles."

14. Signboy

Signboy New Member

Why you guys trashing me here? The car uses less than 4 quarts of oil.

I dump that in the street sewer on the corner at no charge. The filter too. They know how to handle the dirty oil with the street derpartment.

Holy mackrel.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont care how often anyone changes their oil and i dont see anything wrong with what the OP is doing as long as he isnt burning it or dumping it in the landfill (ya, lots of people do it or bury it in their backyard.) the oil is not worn out and can be recycled. however, burning the used oil is a amazing lack of respect and environmental responsibility.

my brother worked in a tire shop and if it was cold enough, they used individual heaters, but most of the time, they used nothing. just part of the job. i think what your friend is doing is criminal and if i saw any oil change shop around here doing it, i would report them instantly.... btw. dont know where you live, but its very illegal here.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy Mackerel, indeed. You are poisoning the fish, the water, and the soil. STOP. DO NOT dump your oil down the drain. OR the filter. What a stupid, inconsiderate thing to do.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    OMG!! you dump it down the sewer??

where do you live??

A SINGLE DROP OF OIL CONTAMINATES 5,000 GALLONS OF FRESH WATER....AND YES!!! I AM YELLING

18. Xrayman

Xrayman Junior Member

I like to save my used oil in bathe in it, personally. Very good for the skin. Your hair just shines and shines.

19. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the company that picks up our used oil and oil filters ships about 100,000 liters a week to a refinery in Washington State for re-refineing what they do with the sludge who knows but that's the oil recycling industry today. The refinery buys used oil on the open market for reuse. We produce about 300-500 liters a week so were just a small fish in a large pond. This would be a mix used engine oil and hydraulic oil and ATF with some smaller amounts of UTF. All of our oil filters are recycled, they are sent to a plant that crushes them to get the oil out and then they are shredded and the metal and filter media seperated and the metal recycled. There is also an enviromental charge passed on to the customer for the filter recycling.

20. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

:angry: Now we know for sure you are a B***SH*TTING POS!!!!! What you claim to be doing is a FELONY!!!!!

BTW you F***STICK, the Street Department doesn't handle that oil that you claim to pour down the corner drain. Your Water and Sewer department does. And now you just poured contaminants into the reuse system (so you claim).

I will make it a point to find out just where you live and ensure the Department of Environmental Protection pays your DUMBA** a visit.

I can't believe anyone would be so stupid - or to at least admit (or claim to) do something so appalling. You, sir, should be locked up. :angry: