1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Called two Alabama dealers about 2016

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Dec 4, 2015.

1. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    dealer in Cincinnati has a white 2- I just took pictures of it in my rant about the packages. It is on display but outside. For sale AFAIK. I just saw it yesterday:

• Phone: (513) 874-8797

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That won't last long.

Bob Wilson

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Close to lunch time, I called Bill Penny and they had just gotten in the 2016 Prius and drove directly over. This was a static inspection, no interest in driving:
    • I really noticed the 2" lower height - this means my wife will have to try getting in and out. She has arthritic knees so seat height is very important.
    • I like the mileage charts: 5 min, 1 mile, and 5 mile. The mileage charts in particular will be much more useful than the 1 min chart.
    • Even though the flying buttress is gone, it felt a little smaller.
    • Steering wheel range is OK.
    • The smaller rear spoiler bar is Ok even though the big one is easier to block tailgaters headlights.
    It did not take long for the saleskid to call over his manager and we discussed my requirements:
    1. Level 2 ECO
    2. With TSS-P which is not available today
    He wanted to show me the 3 and 4 tourings but I pointed out have two requirements. Otherwise a nice conversation and he and the saleskid were impressed by my driving stunt.

All in all, a useful 20 minutes. The new car fits for me but it has to please 'she who must be obeyed.' I would probably take out the rear folding seat behind the passenger seat to gain the extra internal volume . . . something I've been thinking about for 2010.

Nice ride but we're patient and both of our Prius are working just fine.

Bob Wilson

energyandair likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Richly deserved.....

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If we can find enough from "New Car Features" to give a 3 or 4 equivalent mileage to the 2-ECO, I might be persuaded . . . NOT!

I am concerned that my wife will see the center piece and say something like,"That bidet is too small and poorly located. Can we get one built into the seat?"

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how about the seat comfort?

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I could not tell the difference but we did not drive it.

Bob Wilson

8. bigcwill

bigcwill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Love it! Bidet is about right. The white for the 3 and 4 is a deal breaker for sure. Sorry, not going to use Magic Marker and other suggestions.

Really don't like the white surrounding the gear shifter on lower levels too. Wait until 2018? What to do?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sunglasses?

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What's the rear like to get in and out of? Is it a head banging experience or a comfortable fit?

How much lower is the new Prius?

11. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

Seats are def more comfortable and I didn't notice any head banging...

12. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am going to speculate that part of your motivation for wanting a 2 Eco is to probe the mystery of its increased fuel economy over the 2. To me the differences that we have been given by Toyota seem insufficient to explain its numbers. I think you can't wait to do your analytical voodoo on the car. But it's just a guess on my part. And I can't wait for your conclusions.

bwilson4web likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting as this actually dates back to October-December 2005 and the old GreenHybrid.com days:
    The Janus faces back then were:
    • How you drive it - car doesn't matter if you 'train' the driver.
    • How you tune it - making the car efficient by default.
    I am, as you guessed, in the 'making the car efficient.' The reason is I am very married and I want my wife to get good mileage. In contrast, training the driver means hiring out to any car maker, like VW, to run publicity stunts that are not replicated by ordinary drivers.

Realistically, efficient car owners (including EVs) are less than 2% of the total new car sales. Even within the PriusChat community, we are probably less than 0.01% of all Prius owners and drivers. Yet I remain amazed at how loud are the voices advocating driving style instead of car tuning.

So yes, I'm interested in the Gen-4, level 2 - ECO, only to see how many of the tuning tricks have been incorporated into the car:
    • increased tire pressure (?) - did they also put softer shocks to moderate the ride?
    • weight management (?) - is this real?
    • warm-up management (?) - unique to ECO?
    • other 'low hanging fruit' - automatic free-wheel? greater speed range on cruise control? e.t.c.
    I'm just curious as to how far they went with the Gen-4, level 2 - ECO and the possibility of enhancements.

Bob Wilson

KrPtNk likes this.
  14. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

I learn a a lot from your posts (at least the ones my liberal arts centered brain can comprehend) and enjoy your explorations of the car's functions. I wonder if Toyota discussed the possibility Bob Wilson might be scrutinizing their car then and designed it with mysteries sufficient to maintain your interest?

I understand that once the car is on sale it can be reverse engineered by other manufacturers and little if any of its physical characteristics remain proprietary, but what about the software that manages the systems? Is the software beyond the reach of interested others? It would seem to me that it would be in Toyota's best interest th have the management software well protected.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The funny thing is legal, reverse engineering of software is not that hard:
    • Assign a systems engineer to write a set of requirements based upon through testing of the target software.
    • Pass the written requirements to the software writing team and isolate the systems engineer from them.
    I'm currently using a recording OBD scanner that has the option of including analog-to-digital metrics along with GPS and accelerator metrics. This is the type of tool that would be used to 'crack the code' of what other manufacturers have done. But often the manufacturer's own engineers discover the 'sales-critters' have blabbed about what they did already. There is (was) one recent exception, VW and their TDI engine control software.

One late thought about the Gen-4 Prius I sat in the other day . . . I later remembered how in size it reminded me of the Honda Civic:
    • 176" L x 69" W x 59" H - 2015 Prius
    • 179" L x 69" W x 58" H - 2016 Prius
    • 182" L x 71" W x 56" H - 2016 Civic
    The Civic still wins the 'squat down to sit' prize. I like a little taller car to help see around traffic ahead.

Bob Wilson

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and cycledrum likes the lower approach. we need a lift system.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hang on: the two and 2 Eco don't have the white accents?That is great: there's actually one level (2) with:

*spare
    *no white trim

Baby steps in right direction. The Hybrid battery chemistry is tried-and-true too.

18. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If they would have produced a two with the ATP package, I believe they would have truly had a winner.

Imagine this.

A spare
    No White Trim
    HUD
    Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and more....

Now that would be a true winner in my book.

Caniac likes this.
  19. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Their are plenty out here, I looked at one yesterday, $24,000. Did not notice the model.

20. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Sounds dangerously like a rational packaging. I thought that must be against the rules.

In my dream world I'd also want the 3 door SKS, independent tilt and height adjustment of both front seats, and a full size spare that's set up so I could store stuff out of site inside the spare.