1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Calling All Future 2010 Prius Owners! :-)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Peppito, Apr 22, 2009.

1. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hate to burst all your bubbles, but, perhaps you dont remember the long wait and over MSRP prices that were about when the gas $ went up or the Gen II first came out. Prepare to wait or take what comes to the dealer and likely not what they tell you as for $ or options...Getting on a list is meaningless.

2. Peppito

Peppito New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Counting myself, I'm seeing a number of "Prius virgins" on this thread. Looks like we're gonna be in for an awesome experience.

This is my first Toyota and my first hybrid. Before researching the Prius, I was gearing towards a Mercury Mariner Hybrid. As soon as I went test drive an 09 Prius, I was sold. I'm currently driving a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. I'm used to driving an SUV, so it's gonna take a little while to get used to being low to the ground and being in a smaller vehicle.

I'm also seeing lots of interest in the Solar Moon Roof Package. Having the solar moon roof should work pretty well in the hot, moist, sticky New Orleans summers. I'm excited to see how that will work out.

The dealership I've been keeping in touch with (Ray Brandt Toyota) must not be doing their homework. Anytime I call to talk about the 3GEN Prius, they act like they have no knowledge of it. This also goes for a couple other local Toyota dealerships that I've talked to. I wonder why they "play clueless" when all the info is at their fingertips. Shouldn't dealers be well informed and on their game about a car when a potential customer calls? I'm still going to buy from Ray Brandt Toyota cause they typically have a large inventory, but I wish they would level with me instead of pretending like they know nothing about their upcoming model.

Any of you have that same problem with local dealerships?

3. Peppito

Peppito New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just mentioned something like that in the reply I just posted to this thread. The salespeople that I've dealt with so far have been clueless about the new Prius. When I went test drive the 09 Prius (to get a feel for things), I was running my mouth about the 2010 features, and the sales-dude didn't know what I was talking about. It was going way over his head. lol! Thank you Prius Chat for schooling us, ay?

4. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I plan on getting a Prius III with solar moonroof this fall. I'm in Tucson, AZ so the extra ventilation should be nice.

5. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am number 1 at one dealer and in top 4 at another. But I don't think I am going to get one. To get everything I have in my 08 it is going to cost me $8000 difference and I am not ready to spend that. The only thing that I was really looking forward to was the new seats. Anybody ever come up with a good solution for more leg room in PII?
    G

6. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm a virgin to Hybrid and Prius as well. Thanks to this forum I feel so well informed - and very excited. I have a 99 Lexus RX with 105K. I had my eye on Prius for a year now and anticipating the '10. The pricing news yesterday was very appealing. I have a deposit at my local dealer, and on the list at a huge dealer 50 miles away. Red or white IV or V. I would love the solar roof (perfect for FL year round) but don't want/need nav and $3600 is huge. If the roof was avail as a standalone for $1800, yep.

I agree with others noting the inept sales folks - I've talked with 4 so far and none have more than tepid knowledge of the '10. But one sales rep copied me on the Toyota 6 page "Hot Sheet" Sales Product review - really informative from 3/09. He said they also must take an online course which is very intensive. Then he said that he hates to do those things as it takes him off the floor and can't make sales.... Guess you know I wouldn't give him my business.

Speaking of that - I'm in no hurry to purchase but would love to seal a deal by mid summer. May wait out the first wave and sharklike sales tactics. I will not succumb to dealer-installed packages jammed down consumer throats. Matter of fact, the Lexus I have was purchased on the internet back in '99, I was living in Boston at the time and both Lexus dealers there (new back then) would not come down from $3K over MSRP. Contacted Longo Lexus outside L.A. (after linking to the Lexus Forum), and got exactly what I wanted for $2500 under MSRP. $1K shipping across country. I was a happy camper. For the Prius I may contact many dealers internet sales depts a get feelers out around June.

I'm afraid that the dealers will be chomping at the profit bit on the '10. And try to make huge sales gains while they can.

Does anyone have opinions or experience with this on prior Prius's or Toyota? Suggestions?

7. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The economy is shaky, gas prices are low, hybrid demand is plummeting, and there are low-cost (and, true, lower quality) alternatives. Outside of this message board microcosm, people may not be so jazzed about shelling out $25k to $30k for a new mid-sized car. After the initial glut of waitlisters who will pay MSRP to have their 2010 in June, I predict demand will drop. I could easily be wrong, but we'll see in another 2 months.

Also, I don't know how sites like Edmunds get the "invoice price" (which could actually be more or less than the true cost to the dealer), but I would not expect to see something until closer to delivery.

8. lauren80ryan

lauren80ryan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is my first Prius and I've been holding out since I heard "rumors" of the 2010 in December.
    This is my first newer than 5 yr old car EVER (replacing my 95 civic)so I am super spoiling myself and getting the sunroof package too!!:p Since I thought total package #3 was going to be $27k, adding sunroof is still in my "budget" and even if it is "gimmicky" I love it! And we get 7 months of 80+ weather and having it cool before throwing my 2 year old inside the car (considering current car has AC broken for past year) seriously sounds like a beautiful dream to me.
    Package #3 in either blue metallic or dark grey, whichever gets into my hands sooner!!!! :D

I am SO excited:cheer2:!!
    ~Lauren

9. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Question about the pricing for the sunroof option..

{{ nevermind...}}

I see the extra is $3,600 (which includes Nav + Moonroof/solar)

<biting nails>

I really really want that solar pkg. I really really don't want that NAV pkg (yuck).

Oh Toyota, why do you have to make this so damn difficult!??!

And it's not like I can't afford it...I can come up with the extra $$, but it's the principle of the thing. I have a perfectly great Garmin unit that costs about 20% of that built-in Nav and it is a ridiculous option to force on someone who wants that solar roof. Ridiculously overpriced and ridiculously packaged. I say FEH!

10. YotaCarFan

YotaCarFan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Be sure that your seat covers are designed for vehicles that have side airbags built into the seatback. Otherwise, in the event the airbag deploys, it will propel the seat cover and your back forward with great force and speed, possibly causing injury to you.

11. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Package III or IV with solar roof and nav packages.

12. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I have felt exactly the same but I am getting over it. In the live Earth Day chat today, Doug from Prius Team agreed with a questioner that there would be a hit to MPG due to the weight of the solar roof. He said the hit would be small, didn't say how much weight the solar roof adds.

Bottom line, to me, unless you live in an area where it is hot much of the year, I'm not sure it is worth the year round driving mileage hit. After all, MPG is a bragging right of Prius owners! Also, I think the console looks better without the NAV. So I'm going to put my Garmin in the car and keep the $3600. Of course other people may have different priorities.:rolleyes:

Roy

13. winebuff

winebuff Proud owner of a 2010 Prius

Model:
    IV
    I sold my 07 Prius because I wanted to get an extra $1,299 from a private party and wasnt sure how long it would take to sell. We have 4 vehicles, 3 that are Toyota so still ahve something to drive until next month. Now have a bit extra instead of trading it in

14. Randall Rash

Randall Rash Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm gonna get the solar package and go on a diet to even things out.:) Looks like my Barcelona Red Prius IV with Solar/Nav won't have a lot of competition. Woo Hoo!!:cheer2:

15. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I thought about that but to get thinner I think I would have to get younger! I like Barcelona red too. I am curious what the sand color will look like in person. Either a little different or this years ugliest color.

Roy

16. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prius 3 in white or red.

17. Brianb913

Brianb913 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm still undecided not sure the stereo upgrade is worth a grand to me and since i won't even use the nav upgrade and rarely the cooling system i'm paying $3600 for a sunroof. Most likely i'll end up getting a Prius II with no options, all i really NEED. now if money and time allows i'll be getting the Prius III with the solar roof package. I'm not getting mine till the initial hype dies down so i still have time to save. As for colors i'm waiting to see what they look like in person but it's a toss up between blue ribbon metallic and black. of course i'll be at my dealer on day one checking out prices and test driving if possible :)

18. ancientsan

ancientsan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm looking to get the Prius III with nav., probably the metallic grayish color. I'm trying to decide whether I want the solar moonroof thing, where I live my car never gets burning hot when park out in the sun. But then I'm also concerned about the plastic toxic fumes inside the car that are believed to be carcinogenic and ventillation would probably help decrease the toxics being released from a melting dashboard.

19. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I will get a Package II, later this year or early next year.

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I might need that just to get the auction moving toward the reserve but when somone clicks your user name and sees you are from out of town they might get a little funny about it.
    Item number is 300308781412
    Might be best not to bid more than $5600AU unless you want to own it, that's the reserve.