1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camber adjustment on Rear on Plugin 2015

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by serge9898, Feb 15, 2023.

1. serge9898

serge9898 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Shims on rear wheels? (I read a lot of posts about it and need a 2nd opinion!)

My 2015 Prius Plugin has excessive negative camber creating un-even tear on the rear tires (after doing the geometry).
    My mechanic says he cannot add shims on the Prius Plugin (due to a rear disk break interference).

Do you know a solution to correct negative camber on the rear wheels (Prius Plugin)? Did you add shims?

I only care about not wearing tires too fast, and replacing them when only one side is worn to the belt...

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How are they wearing? Per your last sentence? Was the car in an accident that hit the rear end?

Ours was, driver's side back corner hit, wheel stoved in some. Luckily good insurance, and the rear axle was replaced with new. I do notice signif diff between left and right sides, on the new one (setting a carpenter's square against them, on a slab), but the tires wear evenly, so seems ok, not enough variation to matter. Feels ok too.

3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    shims can be added with the right mechanic

4. serge9898

serge9898 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, the discussion help: After some research, the mechanic found a way to add the shims with either longer hub bolts or spacer shims (or both) to account for the disc brake system. Cost $410. Plus alignment $150. (Set of 2 tires Installed $224)
    I paste the detail below it helps anyone.

My conclusion: The car has 110k miles, is straight and doesn't vibrate. $660 is 3 set of tires... Doesn't worth it...

Quote: Alignment Shim, Rear Suspension Remove and Replace necessary components to replace Alignment Shim, Rear Suspension. Retest and verify repair as required. Perform final road test where applicable. Labor $250.00 75600 - Alignment Shim 2 Unit $79.90 S1 10408 - Shim Extended Bolt Kit 1 Unit $29.95 S1 75970 - Offset Spacer Set 1 Unit $49.95 S1 Sub $409.80

(To Mendel question: I bought the car used from a dealer 3 years ago. Yes it might have been in an accident... He says no. Not in CarFax. Not relevant...)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do the shims rotate as the wheels turn? Hopefully not.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They shouldn't, the shim is installed behind the rear wheel hub.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

That's the usual, but I'm wondering about this:

I think you're right though, because shims on a rotating face just doesn't work, lol.

^ Oh heck, now I'm wondering why I even raised the question. Fugedaboutit. :oops: