1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camber and toe is out, needs shim?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by whataboutbob, Jan 1, 2014.

1. whataboutbob

whataboutbob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2010 Prius, replacing my tires for the first time at 43K miles, got alignment and shop told me that my rear camber and toe is out and needs shims, measurements are
    camber left -1.2, right -2.2
    toe left 0.40, right 0.15

It's not cheap to add the shims, $260+, so I am wondering if this is really necessary and how much uneven wear and tear I should expect if I don't have it fixed.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
    Bob

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Was there any indication from handling or condition of the OE tires that the geometry was out of tolerance?

3. whataboutbob

whataboutbob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before alignment, car was veering to the right and there was definitely uneven wear but oddly enough on the front tires on the outside of both OE tires. Also, here are the measurements from an alignment a year ago
    camber left -1.3, right -1.9
    toe left 0.18, right 0.02

Somehow I don't think the uneven wear is due to the camber and toe issue, thoughts?

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As stated, toe is within spec, if a bit neutral on the right, but a little too much side to side difference and negative camber on the right, per member xs650's post on factory rear alignment specs, but also note it's not adjustable and to look for out of tolerance parts. As to whether these would be noticeable or drive tire wear, hard to say, xcept the general rule that outside edge wear is usually due to excessive negative camber and/or tire scrub due to changes in suspension geometry such as bump/roll steer.

Rear Suspension
    Camber (Unloaded Vehicle):
    Tire Size Camber Inclination Right-left Difference
    195/65R15 -1°29' +/- 30' (-1.48° +/- 0.50°)
    215/45R17 -1°28' +/- 30' (-1.47° +/- 0.50°)
    Right-left Difference 30' (0.50°) either size tires

HINT:
    Camber is not adjustable. If the measurement is not within the specified range, inspect the suspension parts for
    damage and/or wear, and replace them if necessary.

Rear Toe
    195/65R15
    ( 0.29° +/- 0.30°)
    ( 0.17° +/- 0.30°)*
    max side to side difference 45' (0.75°) or less

-
    215/45R17
    ( 0.25° +/- 0.30°)
    max side to side difference 45' (0.75°) or less

* For vehicle height for Rough Road Package.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/does-anyone-have-the-2010-alignment-specs.88497/#ixzz2pF5Ea6NO
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

5. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looking at the spec and looking at your vehicle spec. It looks like as if your right camber is out of alignment.

I know that some vehicles say you can't adjust the camber in the rear, but some dealers sell camber kit for the vehicles. Try asking the dealers for the camber kit and have some automotive shop install it for you. As for the rear toe, you can't adjust the rear toe because it's a solid beam in the rear, unless I'm looking at something else. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)