1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camping modification for Prius 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Olympic Prius, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Olympic Prius

Olympic Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    20201110_142436.jpg 20201111_085047.jpg 20201111_085320.jpg
    Sleeps two adults 6 feet all, or two adults and a child. Plywood piece is 3/8 inch, with sanded edges, corners, and surfaces. Pedestal supports were home made with scrap lumber, but you could also buy cheap folding stools online for 10 to 15 bucks. Back seats push down further with the weight of sleeper(s) on top, leveling out. I also have custom fit mosquito net sleeves to go over the back windows so these can be cracked open for air.

MexicanChip likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What I do is leave the back seatbacks upright and remove the center console and replace with a pillow. That way when I pull into a rest stop I put up sunscreen shades over every window, remove front seat head rests and slide them all the way forward and recline all the way down flush with rear seats and fill in the gaps with pillows and blankets... Way softer and more room if I sleep diagonally than your way, but that's because I'm more than 6 feet tall.

As in prefer to make use of existing cushioning, instead of adding more stuff that can get in the way of how much I can haul.

994954_10151406191446986_1244554196_n.jpg

#2 PriusCamper, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    So these go under the plywood to support it?

If so, I think I'd skipped that idea and use luggage, ice chests, or similar that one already needs when camping to prop up the plywood. The large wooden stands are otherwise useless the rest of the time and take up too much space.

I think foldable stands/stools would work better and could be used as tables/chairs around the campsite when not sleeping.

If I camped in it a lot, I think I would find stackable plastic storage containers to fit in the passenger footwells to support the board. Place them so one can still access the drawers with the passenger doors open. Fill them with clothes, camping supplies, whatever one needs for the trip. Move to the hatch when traveling with 3+ people.

PriusCamper and jimontheocean like this.
  4. Soh

Soh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Whilst it looks good and will be good for support, don't you think the wood is just too heavy??

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Soh likes this.
  6. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you design the frame right, you can get away with thin wood for the skin and keep it light. This is 1"x2" poplar frame with just 1/4" birch ply:
    [​IMG]
    For the extension behind the front seat I use 1/2" birch ply since it's unsupported:
    [​IMG]

MexicanChip likes this.
  7. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    is the platform that replaced the seats easy to remove?

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Always nice to see someone's who's competent enough to understand the value of a lightweight design in a vehicle modified for camping... Nice work!

MexicanChip and Vman455 like this.
  9. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    20 screws for the panels, then 6 bolts and the frame would lift out. Here it is partially finished (there's a top frame with longitudinal beams screwed to the top of this, then the plywood over that):
    [​IMG]

MexicanChip likes this.
  10. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm pretty shocked that more Prius campers don't "remove headrest and recline seat back flush with the rear seat" like you do. Almost everyone just leaves the passenger seat upright.

I'm 6'2" and didn't want to go diagonal. A plastic drawer unit on the passenger's seat (drawer opens out the door) brings it level to the height of the rear folded seat. Then a piece of plywood on top of that, running from the glove box to the rear hatch. Eight feet of flat space and mattress on top.

No mods to OEM -- at end of camping trip it returns to a "normal" car in minutes. In camping mode, easy access to passenger's foot area for storage (just open rear door) and also between the front passenger's seat back and the plywood also creates storage, not to mention the drawer itself on the passenger's seat.

Total cost = one plastic drawer unit and one sheet of plywood.

11. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wait so 26 screws to remove the platform? this weekend I'm taking my seats out to see about making something out of instamorph.