1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camping ventilation soltions using fans / controller?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tekdeus, May 31, 2016.

1. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks, I'm looking for a solution to ventilate the car interior during occasional camping trips sleeping in the car with the car off (not suitable to leave car on in some situations). I know window screens and rain guards are commonly used by I'm keen to find a simpler closed-window solution. I found this page Prius camping that showed a controller solution to run the existing dash blower fan controller via a custom built PWM curcuit, however, this is beyond my capacity to engineer. I was wondering if a simple eBay or other PWM controller could be wired to the blower motor directly to bypass the existing fan controller?
    Or perhaps might there be a way to run the battery cooling fan, if it does in fact vent air outside?

Thank you for your input!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just out of curiosity, what situations don't allow running the ice?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're driving a 2004, I'd think you could build the exact circuit hobbit engineered on that page ... he gives a schematic with the parts identified, about halfway down the page.

If assembling it seemed like more than you were comfortable with, I wonder if there'd be a way to do a "WTB: assemble this gizmo for me" kind of post on PriusChat, maybe attract some young poster who likes to get soldering practice.

If somebody contracted a small-scale assembly outfit to make a small number of them, I wonder if the PriusChat Shop might agree to carry them.

-Chap