1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by spiderman, Aug 5, 2011.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all,
    We have been thinking of downsizing our 06 Kia Sedona and I have a lead on an 09 Camry Hybrid. It has 55K miles on it from CA, one owner.

Have not had time to research it but is it the same PSD as the Prius? eCVT?

Any information (positive or negative) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It also has HSD, but for a Camry it has a small trunk because of the battery pack, expect mileage in the mid 30's.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ did you have one or currently own one?

4. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope, have a friend with an 08, and I've driven it. Guess you'd call my answer anecdotal.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just checking as I wanted real hands on information. Thank though. So what did you think of it overall?

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have driven 2010 Camry Hybrid's for a few thousand miles as rental cars. I can honestly say it is an excellent car to drive in Wisconsin blizzard snow covered road conditions. That car stuck like glue to the roads and when it did slide, it was totally controllable. It also drives awesome on dry summer roads. Would I own one if that was what I was in the market for, hell yea. It is an awesome car to drive, plenty of space even though the battery box eats up some of the trunk space. It's slick as hell looking and has awesome controls and fit & feel to it. Sure the Prii will get much better mileage than the Camry Hybrid, but if that is what you are wanting , definitely go for it.

Mike

1 person likes this.
  7. JeffyJosephNorCal

JeffyJosephNorCal Formerly JeffyJosephNCa

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We own an 08 TCH. Definitely a great car. We average around 34-35mpgs mixed driving. Easily can get 40's on the freeway. The trunk space hasn't been a big issue at all for us as we don't really fill it up. It is a very quiet ride and very relaxing during long trips. Also love the avg fuel in 1 or 5 min increments on the navi screen, and the power seats & lumbar support. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my wife has an 08 hycam after two regular camry's. she won't drive anything else. 45,000 uneventful miles, quiet, smooth, powerful, comfortible. we take it to florida every winter. it's a dream on the highway. at home it's mostly short trips for her. she's no hypermiler but averages 40 mpg's and 45 in good weather and longer trips. the only negative is the trunk and that's compared to the regular camry. all the best!

1 person likes this.
  9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That right B, now I remember you mention having one. The one here is quite a bit more than what I think we can get out of the van but we will see how hungry these guys are.

10. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I'm glad to see Camry Hybrid owners confirmed what I had said, glad I wasn't shown to be uninformed......this time, my only suggestion and I'm old and have made a few car buying mistakes, drive one first, and if you can rent one for a weekend, then you'll know more than anyone can tell you.

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good point but would be impossible to fine a hybrid rental up here. However, we previously owned a Camry (97) so I am familiar with that car... just not the HSD in a Camry.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it probably has a longer payback than a regular camry. they get pretty darn good mileage and you can get them cheap!

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So Spider,
    Now we can make a safe bet that you will buy this car this weekend. Post some pics on Monday :p

Mike :tea:

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    lol, the cars sell themselves really, it is just making it work in the budget. Originally I just wanted to do a trade to a 06 or better Corolla, no/little cash involved. But I am willing to through in some for this I think.

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll like the car. My wife wants one too :)

Mike

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's pretty nice. It's quiet, comfortable and pretty powerful for its size. The trunk is reasonably shaped to take advantage of whatever space it has. It still has folding rear seats so you can slide in skis and snowboards (But nothing thicker than 2 or 3" I would say). The left side folds but there's no pass through (But a great way to keep the upholstery clean by using the seatback instead).

The only downside is that I felt that there was some cost cutting compared to our Gen 5 Camry (2002 MY). The seatback pockets were now plastic with elastic bands instead of inset of the seatback and the plastics on the door feel a little cheaper. The trunklid is heavier (probably less aluminium) and there no longer is nice pleated leather on the door trim, just stretched leather like the Prius).

1 person likes this.
  17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This will be the wife's car and I am trying to figure out what FE she will get in it. Let's just say I spend a lot of time trying to make up FE when she uses the Prius for a trip to the store. :)

Also, I assume the Carmy will have the same type of traction control as the GenII Prius? I wonder how this will do in the winter eh?

18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove a 2010 Camry Hybrid thru a Wisconsin snow storm last winter. Interstate 90/94 was snow covered. About 6" of snow, no plows out, cars & SUV's in the ditches on both sides, big trucks jackknifed here & there. We were on our way back home from out east. I have years of over the road big truck driving experience so I have no issue taking on a winter driving trip. The Camry Hybrid had absolutely zero issues with traction. None what so ever. It went when I stepped on the go pedal. It stopped when I had to lightly use the brakes. It slid when I found ice. It was very very controllable. It handled better than driving a 2010 Prius in heavy snow at 30-40 mph. I have no doubts you will find it drives in your Alaskan winters just fine. It will go where ever you can drive your Prius. Would it be as good as a RAV4 in snow? Hell no, but it does a very remarkable job in the snow that I have driven it thru. The traction control is not like the early Gen II where it would sit near powerless. It will slip a tire as needed and continue to move forward promptly. Heck it will even do that on dry pavement at a stoplight when you race some ricer kid off the line :D

Mike

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Mike, that is encouraging. I am glad the TC is not the same though I wonder why they would no put a similar system in the Prius... Anyway, a midwest winter is probably worse than anything we see up here... it just last longer up here. :)

Going to look at it this morning but I doubt it will happen as I don't think we are close enough in values.

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update? Out cruisin around in it now :p

Mike