1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cams with removing timing chain

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Michael Joyner, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Michael Joyner

Michael Joyner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2012 prius,can I remove the cams/rollers with out removing the timing chain

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope, seeing as the chain is attached to them.
    I guess you could cable tie the chain to the sprocked, but then you'd have to hang
    the cam on either side of the head, "if" there is enough room.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Chains tensioners guides are inexpensive . I usually replace at mileages like same. Maybe the VVTI sprocket to especially if I'm trying for 4 to 600K

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Repair manuals for other engines have suggested wire-tying the chain to the sprockets, then taking out the center bolts holding the sprockets to the camshafts, then taking out the camshafts.

I don't know why this repair manual doesn't suggest that, or whether that means there's some geometric reason you can't do it here. I haven't seen any threads where someone has tried and said "oh yeah, it doesn't work because X".

One complication is that the intake "sprocket" doesn't have a web with holes to make wire tying easy. I'm not sure that means you couldn't think of something, though.

If you try it, please report back on whether you could do it, or why you couldn't.

Why do you want the cams / rollers out?

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When the guy did the timing cover in the head gasket on our persona before they didn't catch the piston rolling over in the boar in the center girdle broken on the back I believe he did tie up the mess with the bolts out and all that like you did in the old days there was no issue but then he realized I had a new timing chain VVTI sprocket and all that in the box so obviously then he unhook the wire and off the chain and whatever and let it all down and went ahead and put on the new chain while the cover was off and all the other stuff guides etc