1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can’t upload any pictures ,

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Rual, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I tried linking to a URL with the pictures I wanted to share. That failed also.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    File upload under iOS

Start safari Priuschat post write with settings safari javascript on, desktop mode,

Then safari settings javascript off, safari post refresh, post “more options”, upload files button, upload files,

Then safari JavaScript on, safari tab to original edit, safari post refresh, position files as desired, reply to thread.

Works on a new post or reply but does not work if trying to add file to a post edit. Simple. No.

Link from other file server like google drive is easier.

#22 rjparker, Feb 4, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is a post without a picture.

Edit: here's a picture:

[​IMG]

Edit again: I didn't notice anything different about how it worked in editing a post, compared to how it works making an original post.

Attached Files:

#23 ChapmanF, Feb 4, 2024
  4. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not iOS here, no.

One clue might be that you mention a "More Options" button, which I don't think I've ever used except in the fancy JavaScript UI. When you have JavaScript off, there's an "Upload a File" button right there next to Post Reply (or next to Save Changes, if you are editing).

Fancy JavaScript UIs can include weird different behaviors for different browsers or operating systems. Not so much when you turn JavaScript off, because that disables the code that can futz around in your browser and care what kind of browser or OS you've got ... leaving you with standard HTML, which different browsers aren't s'posed to handle in wildly different ways.

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    With iOS (iPhone and iPad) you can’t Reply or Edit a Priuschat post using their safari browser without JavaScript on. With the current state of Priuschat it then requires JavaScript off to get a “more options” button which accesses a screen (another tab) where uploads work. Screen refreshes are needed to keep changing modes in sync.

Apple would prefer you use an app where things are more robust. But no app for Priuschat.

So yes it’s possible to do a song and dance as described above to get a direct file insertion where you want it for clarity but it’s currently much easier to link from elsewhere, which is still multistep but not as confusing and works in an edit.

Edit adding file with google drive link

#26 rjparker, Feb 4, 2024
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Every approach has its downsides, and the downside of the link-from-elsewhere approach is that other people may be running their browsers with careful security settings, and only see something like what I see for your image above:

[​IMG]

And yes, if it seems important enough to me, I know the five or six step song and dance I can go through to make the image you linked show up, but in most cases I just move on to somebody else's post.

One way to look at it is there's 1 poster who might have to do some extra dance at posting time, or leave it to N readers to have to do some extra dance at reading time ... or some of those readers will just move on to another post.

There was a rule of thumb drilled into me in school that if you want to put something out for other people to read or view, it's reasonable to budget your own effort at about 100✕ what you expect each reader or viewer to spend on it.

Usually our PriusChat posts are more casual than that; I can guarantee most posts of mine that take a minute to read, I didn't spend an hour and forty minutes researching and writing (though there may be a few where I did). Still, the rule of thumb makes a good point about balancing effort between 1 author and N readers.

vvillovv likes this.