1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can 2019 LE spare fit in the XLE?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by IRKenCaryl, Apr 6, 2019.

1. IRKenCaryl

IRKenCaryl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering a first Prius purchase, and trying to decide between the 2019 XLE and LE. Frankly, the only thing that's keeping me away from the XLE is that the LE has a spare tire. (We have lots of road travel planned for this, and I've used spare tires in previous vehicles too many times to really consider replacing a spare with "spray goop in a can". YMMV, of course.)

Looking at the specs, the tire diameter is only 1/2" smaller in the standard XLE than in the LE, and the XLE even has an option to use the 15" wheel. I would think that the spare used for the LE would therefore work for the XLE. My biggest question is whether or not the spare storage space in the LE still exists in the XLE (but is taken up with foam, a storage tray for the tire repair kit, etc.). Unfortunately, I can't find images that would show this online.

Anyone with an XLE able to fill in the blanks here?

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    if not, stop in a dealer and take a look. i doubt they've changed it

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There has been a bit of discussion here about spare tyres - maybe a search might help. I'm assuming that you're talking about 17" wheels being compatible with a spare allocated to a car with 15" wheels.

There was talk about people putting a Corolla steel full size spare, but I'm not sure how they held it securely.

TOYOTA even supply a Full Size spare in some countries - primarily Middle East, I think - but I think they said only 15". I don't think it was available in other countries - but that was a couple of years ago, TOYOTA might now have them available as an acce$$ory - might not too.

4. IRKenCaryl

IRKenCaryl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks both for the responses so far.

Just to clarify, my question is mainly whether or not the spare tire storage location in the LE is still present in the XLE. (I saw previous discussion regarding spare tires themselves, but not this specifically. I could have missed it, however.)

Given that these are two (adjacent) trim lines in the same model (and same year), and the specs don't seem to differ much between the two, like bisco mentioned I suspect that Toyota left the body in this area the same. Just curious if someone here knows this for sure.

5. 19XLE

19XLE New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Just bought a 2019 XLE and made spare a condition of sale. Dealer swapped the spare and foam insert with jack, wrench, etc. from a LE into the XLE and the foam insert with slime repair kit from XLE into the LE. Fit perfectly with no variation at all. Most XLE's have 17" wheels and the LE has 15" wheels, however spare remains same regardless. That said, dealer was initially refusing, however when told would not buy without it, they decided they wanted deal bad enough and did it. Was last day of month and they seemed desperate to hit a number. Supposed reason for absence of spare in XLE is added weight. For example, if ordering sunroof option in XLE which adds weight, can no longer have 17" alloys and instead must have 15" as they are lighter.

bisco likes this.
  6. IRKenCaryl

IRKenCaryl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome, thanks 19XLE! That's the answer that I was hoping for. Now I just have to get a dealer that's also willing to play ball. Note that I'm not even trying to have them do the swap at no cost: as long as the "upcharge" would be within reason, I'm okay with it.

Given that the payload capacity of the standard XLE is around 870 pounds, I could see Toyota being somewhat careful about adding weight - particularly with a 5-passenger capacity. I am curious about this, however:

The wheels represent unsprung weight, so (barring the ratings of the tires themselves) I'm not sure how this would impact the payload capacity. Maybe this part is more about performance and fuel economy.

bisco likes this.
  7. 19XLE

19XLE New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Here's a couple photos of the spare tire. Even the spare tire screw down threaded rod that attaches through center of spare screwed into XLE body to hold tire securely in place, so they're completely interchangeable as threaded hole is present. Clearly, weight had something to do with absence of spare. I previously had a 2011 Gen 3 and if I recall there were also oddities in packages such as not being able to have sun roof in top of line Prius 5, but could have in Prius 4. Seems to be about gaming efficiency ratings. Example: L Eco gets better gas mileage, but Toyota was extreme in stripping weight to point of even no rear windshield wiper in that model.

Couple other details to offer in my two weeks of driving this 19 XLE, this car has added option of Heads Up Display & Adaptive Headlights. The Heads-up display is not usable in my case as unless you sit directly center of drivers seat, you can't see it. I sit somewhat slouched towards center console making it disappear and out of sight. Also, my polarized sun glasses make it disappear anyway. Heads Up is adjustable up and down, but not left to right. In any case, the speedo is so up and center that Heads Up Display is irrelevant. Also, slightly not a fan of windshield reflection on sunny days from the Heads Up Display indentation square outline on dash reflecting up on windshield, that said, the Adaptive Headlights part of option package work very well when cornering at night.

Finally, XLE has no option for GPS unlike 3rd Gen Prius in less than top trim, and had difficultly trying to figure out best way to install. Doesn't look very good suctioned on windshield. In end, I put it as pictured with a special mount ordered on Amazon and bought a long USB ended cable and fished hidden wire to USB on center console. Overall, car is vast improvement from Gen 3. Can idle for very long period without engine running and vastly improved ride and handling. Limited trim didn't appeal to me, as besides price, A/C on that one is integrated into touchscreen and found it annoying trying to adjust it. This one is more simple to use. So, XLE just loses GPS, premium JBL sound and remote accident notification to call center over XLE. Heads Up & Adaptive can be optioned into XLE if desired. Sunroof option can be added to either, but requires a downgrade to 15" wheels - bizarre like the spare tire issue!

Those are my new 19 XLE thoughts. Hope that helps!

Attached Files:

hughb64, Rapher and IRKenCaryl like this.
  8. IRKenCaryl

IRKenCaryl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool - thanks for the visual documentation and the review! I'll make sure to pull the pictures up if I get a dealer that doubts that it can be done. (y)

We test drove a Prius Prime initially (before determining that the extreme lack of trunk space wasn't going to work for us), which had the head's up display. I had to ask the guy where it was, since I couldn't see it. Even when I could see it, IMO it was kind of underwhelming. Luckily, most of the XLEs in this area seem to lack both the Advanced Tech and the Premium Convenience packages, so that likely won't even be a factor.

The biggest draw of the XLE over the LE, at least for us here, is the heated seats and steering wheel. I can kind of take or leave the rest of the differences ... obviously apart from the spare tire. We use about three different GPS apps at different times, so the lack of in-dash GPS isn't a big factor. (What is disappointing is the lack of CarPlay, in any of the Prius models and trim levels. Would have been nice, but I can't really miss what I don't have now.)

I also wasn't aware that the Limited moved the climate controls into the touchscreen. I had already read quite a bit of grousing whenever manufacturers had done that. Also good to know about the ride and handling. My current vehicle is fairly active and less quiet on the highway, so I'm looking forward to something that isn't quite so fatiguing for longer trips.

Thanks again!

19XLE likes this.
  9. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At the Green Grand Prix a couple weeks ago, the Toyota rep driving the 2019 XLE AWD said if lack of CarPlay is a dealbreaker, wait a few months. The 2019 will be a short model year, and the 2020 will arrive this summer with CarPlay and Android Auto.

Mambo Dave, IRKenCaryl and krmcg like this.
  10. IRKenCaryl

IRKenCaryl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting - this would partially explain the relative dearth of 2019 Prius models in this area. (Well, that and the fact that fuel-efficient sedans aren't exactly in a profitable sweet spot right now.) I tried to scout around on-line, and all that everyone seems to be talking about in this space - including Toyota - is the 2020 Corolla Hybrid and its impact to the viability of the Prius line - starting with the Prius c. (Side note: is it just me, or does Toyota seem to have some strange love/hate thing going on with the Prius' branding image?)

Aside from this, there was a total of one non-clickbait source regarding the 2020 Prius, and that didn't offer much info part from mainly speculation that the 2020 Prius - whenever it came out - won't differ substantially from the 2019. (CarPlay wasn't mentioned one way or the other.

I admit that waiting for CarPlay is tempting. However, knowing my luck, the 2020 XLE model somehow will then be incompatible with the LE spare tire, and will move the climate controls into the touchscreen...

11. WPMc

WPMc New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE

12. WPMc

WPMc New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm so glad I found your post from last April. I bought a 2019 XLE in October and have been obsessing about finding a spare tire--either a standard size or a temporary spare--ever since. I will be driving across country in the summer and I do not want to be without a spare. But unlike you, I do not want to change the styrofoam decking, because I am leasing the car and have to return it without modifications. So I plan to store the spare in the back somewhere.

Can you please write me the size numbers for your spare and, if appropriate, for the rim. I am dubious that a Toyota dealership would sell me a spare for an LE, but I did find two on e-bay. One is marked T186/70R16 and the other T125/70D17. The first spare is described as "2010 thru 2019 TOYOTA PRIUS SPARE TIRE WHEEL DONUT 16" 5X100 PLUG IN." I'm not sure what "plug in" means in this case. The second spare is described as "2010 thru 2019 TOYOTA PRIUS SPARE TIRE WHEEL DONUT 17" 5X100 PLUG IN MODELS." Our cars have 17-inch wheels, so I'm wondering if the second spare is the one to get.

Non-spare comments: I find the heads-up display useful when a warning beeper sounds. The location of the potential hazard appears on the display, which means I don't have to shift my eyes to the center multi-information display. Finally, I use the GPS on my cell phone and attach it with a holder that screws into the CD player slot. It works well and is available on Amazon.

19XLE, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

13. 19XLE

19XLE New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi There,

Part number on rim is 42611-47631 and the tire is 125/70R17 and came out of a 2016 Prius LE with 15" wheels that the dealer had used on the lot. I believe the spare remains the same regardless of 15" or 17" wheels, as if the car has 15" wheels the overall height is the same. I installed it and test drove fine.

Google the part number and some part dealers have fitment searches. Shows newer Prius models currently using same compact spare wheel regardless of regular wheel size. Driving without a spare is just an unnecessary anxiety on a daily basis, never mind issue when the eventual flat occurs. It will happen, we just never know when.

Somehow, I believe the 16" spare you may be seeing was for generation II Prius, but that it may work as well.

Rapher likes this.
  14. WPMc

WPMc New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Thank you for your informative response. I feel more secure already.

15. Rapher

Rapher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Question: According to Toyota this part number is for a tire rim for a Prius 2016-2021 and Corolla 2019-2021. I presume this will also apply to 2022 Prius? I assume this also means that one can salvage this part from Corollas? If I go to a car junk lot will the part number be on the rim? Thanks!

16. Rapher

Rapher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi!

What about the drive sound? Was the drive as quiet with the spare? Thanks!

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can use any spare, from any Prius Hatchback (not Prius c or Prius v), from 2010 onward.

I would recommend the 2010 through 2015 (3rd gen) model year over 2016 onward (4th gen), solely because Toyota used a temp spare with 16" rim and tire combo that was virtually the same Outside Diameter as stock 195/65R15. Except for one caveat: if getting a tire/rim combo from salvage, they will be getting on, rubber might be deteriorating. That said, temp spares tend to live a sheltered life.

OTOH, the 4th gen Prius spares have a 17" rim, and though somewhat counterintuitive, the spec'd rim/tire combo is somewhat smaller OD (than stock 195/65R15).

Keep in mind: with any Prius level that comes without a spare, while the sheet metal has a void for the spare, it will have hatch floor and filler pieces underneath that are NOT suitable. You will either have to:

1. Carry the spare somewhere other than the spare tire well.
    2. Cobble a fix.
    3. Buy spare compatible parts, for likely well over a grand, if you just go to the dealership parts department.

FWIW: I would never buy a car that didn't come stock a spare. If that approach catches on, you can bet the manufacturers would reinstate spares in all levels.

18. Rapher

Rapher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I am wondering the best way to remove the white screw clips that keep the left and right foam inserts in place. I've in other posts to use a screwdriver and others that the clips will pop out (and need to be replaced). Any best approaches?

19. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    If you really plan on traveling - like out and away from close new tires - those little spares can be limiting to limp hundred of miles at their speed limited (whatever that speed is... are they still 55 MPH?) rating.

That's why I went for a full sized spare. A spare full-sized tire method | PriusChat

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    50 I think. Might even be embossed on the sidewall.

Mambo Dave likes this.