1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can 2019 LE spare fit in the XLE?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by IRKenCaryl, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Rapher

Rapher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for this great information! I wanted to provide a little update regarding my 4th Gen 2022 Prius XLE. I purchased a new rim (from Toyota Parts Deal #42611-47631) and new tire from Tire Rack (tire: T125/70R-17). Note the Prius uses a 17 inch wheel. The total cost was ~$200. I then removed the styrofoam rear box end floor. This is technically called the 'Deck Box Floor'. On the XLE there are two parts to the floor, the right and left. I believe the left sits over the seam of the right. Removing the deck floor is pretty easy. You will notice that in the lower left (left box deck floor) and lower right (right side) have circular indentations. Underneath this is a screw attached to the body. All you need to do to remove each box floor is to grab each side and pull straight up. You want to start with the smaller of the 2 box end floors. Also, before you remove them, first remove all the tools that are sitting in the various compartments! I ordered replacement box deck flooring for an LE model from Toyota Parts Deal. You can't order these parts for an XLE. Toyota will not allow it. These new box end floors will cover the left and right sides of the floor leaving exposed the center for a spare tire placement. The part numbers are 64997-47050 for the Left Box End Floor and 64995-47040 for the Right Box End Floor. The total cost was ~$250. These are styrofoam parts. If you order them, they might come damaged due to poor packaging (that happened with me). The damage was minor and fixable with Gorilla Glue (works on styrofoam) and Toyota Parts gave me a partial refund. Placing the box floor in place is very easy. Remember those lower left and right corners circular holes? They remain. Position the area over the screw in the floor and press down. Fini! The replacement box end floors have places for all the tire replacement tools, other than the air pump and fix a flat can (which you no longer need). The XLE has no provision for screwing the tire into the tire well. I'm using some insulating material to keep the tire in place. The final piece is covering the tire adequately so you can place the floor covering over the area. What I did (cheaply) is cut a piece of 0.5 inch plywood to cover the exposed area. I purchased an 'antifatigue foam mat set' from Harbor Freight ($8-10). These are 0.5 inch thick foam pieces. I cut and glued one piece to each side of the cut plywood and layered the finished product over the tire well. The floor was essentially flush. I have attached some images. One last item to mention. The original box end flooring that came with the Prius had crushed wool on the underside. I assume this was for sound insulation. I carefully removed the wool and glued them to the bottom of the new box end flooring that did not come with this insulation.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Third gen spare will work as well. It’s a16” rim, and together with the specd temp spare tire, is actually closer in OD than the 4th gen spare.

My tired chestnut: don’t buy a car that doesn’t come with a spare. If that catches on the manufacturers WILL wake up.

3. priusseaglass2

priusseaglass2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rapher,
    Thanks for the part numbers. I to am in the early stages of researching putting a spare in my 2022 Prius. One thing I think you should do is figure a way to secure the spare in case of a major accident it may join you up front. I have a friend who's uncle was killed by a flying vacuum cleaner and another who's son had a ice auger nearly hit him and go threw the windshield. I use those tie downs in my 2012 all the time to help keep things secure. Which just made me think. Does my new 2022 even have them. Off to the garage I guess I'll go to check.

4. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Check to see if your 2022 still has the threaded spare hold-down. Mine did, and I found an appropriate length bolt - and a series of fender washers - to hold down my full-sized spare. The jack and other parts are then velcro-strapped (strong velcro straps) to the tire/wheel either on the outside or the inside of the upside-down wheel.

5. priusseaglass2

priusseaglass2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rats, took the Styrofoam out of my 2022 Limited. No nut on the floor of trunk area. It is sad how little storage my 22 has compared to the 2012. Not even a place to put a tissue box under the shifter like before.

Mambo Dave and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can probably strap it down pretty easily

7. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    To what?

I feel very lucky to have some hold-overs in my 2019 that allowed me to mount the spare, and also a cross-board that holds the floor-support-foam (that I created) in place.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’m sure you can screw in some hold down rings somewhere.
    Mine is unsecured, but I wouldn’t advocate it for others

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah you'd want to check; there could be weld-nuts in the body, for D-rings (the ones around the perimeter of hatch floor), or the spare hold-down bolt (centred in wheel well). Or not...

10. kuffs

kuffs Now 2 Prius Owner !

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for your post. I also am in South Florida on the “TreasureCoast”. I just traded our 2011 Prius for a. 2022 XLE.
    So should I look at Junk Yards for a used LE compact spare? My local dealer only can get the LE compact spare wheel. He also says he cannot guarantee that it will fit the XLE. Thanks for any help. Kuffs