1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can a dealer match another state?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by kenji4861, Feb 5, 2020.

1. kenji4861

kenji4861 Member

In the Prius Prime Pricing Thread, someone said they got a Prime XLE for a dealer discount of $3000, then another $2000 rebate.

I understand the rebate changes from location to location, but the dealer discount should be able to match right?

2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A dealer within the same region can match the Toyota Rebate. But that "Dealer Discount" you refer too is just a dealer wheeling and dealing in order to get the sale. Can they match it? Maybe, maybe not. That's why people "shop around" when buying a vehicle.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As commented by @dubit, a dealer discount is what that particular dealer is willing to discount. There is no set discount amount. If you were offered particularly good price from a dealer out of state, you certainly can use that as a bargaining tool to negotiate with your local dealer.

When I was shopping for a PRIME 3 years ago, I actually did have an offer by e-mail from a dealer out of state with a deep discount. I took that quote to a local Toyota dealer to negotiate. They did not have the trim I wanted, the base Plus model quoted, but had upgrade Premium models in stock. In the end, they matched the price on the quote for the Premium trim they had in stock. Needless to say, I bought it from the local dealer, saving trip out of state and avoiding all potential troubles that may arise from dealing out of state, plus I got an upgraded Premium trim for the price of lower Plus trim.

dig4dirt likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You won't know for sure unless you ASK the dealer(s) in question.
    ALL of the "incentives" should be available to ALL of the dealers across a wide geographic area.
    And some will "price match" even if they aren't advertising a particular "deal" at the moment.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ This.

Realize these guys are cut-throat hustlers, don't trust anything they say, and battle for the best price you can get. Watch them like a hawk too: if they seem to cave in and give you a good deal, make sure they didn't make it up with some fancy extras on the bill of sale.

And say NO to all the extra nonsense they insist you're obligated to buy: service contract, extended warranty, paint protection, security systems. If you do want some accessory, get it, nothing else, and bargain on the price too.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let's define 'can' and 'will'

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    kenji, it's nice to see you're still shopping for a prius after 6 years. you may have set a record for rash decisions :p

8. kenji4861

kenji4861 Member

yea for some reason I've been around here. Didn't know it's been 6 years
    My brother bought a Prime a few years ago and I probably shopped around for prices for him.
    Not sure why I was here 6 years ago. =/ Maybe spamming something.

9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Some dealer rebates can correspond to regional incentives from factory to dealer.
    So maybe, no, all dealers can not match discounts.

10. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Rebates are set for each region. To get a 2K rebate you need to buy the car from a store in that region. And, some dealerships that offer large discounts have adds to the cars that would not laterally match something else local to you.