1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can a P0A80 code be stored for any other reason?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by John Fish Kurmann, Apr 13, 2020.

1. John Fish Kurmann

John Fish Kurmann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've done some searching but found no story very close to mine so far so I'm posting.

The non-profit organization I work for owns a 2006 Prius. Back in December it would not start so we had the 12v battery replaced. It worked fine for more than 2 months, then I came out to find it bricked again. I jump-started it and drove it to one of the recycling centers we manage. It operated normally on the way there but then would not start again when I was ready to leave. On another day, I jump-started it again to take it to a repair shop. On the way, the Master Warning, Brake System Warning, Vehicle Stability Control System Warning, and Malfunction Indicator Lamp (Check Engine) lights came on and I lost power going up a hill. I pulled over, turned it off, and it would not start so I jumped it a third time. I took it to the repair shop the next day and they said they tested the 12v battery, said it was defective and replaced it under warranty. On the way home, the same lights came back on so took it back. The only code stored was P0A80, which they said indicates the hybrid battery pack needs to be replaced.

A failing battery pack doesn't seem to me to explain the problems the car was experiencing at first. Could it be triggered for any other reason or does it really need a battery pack?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the 12v is fine, it's the pack, how many miles on her?

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Repair Manual (more info) procedure for diagnostic trouble code P0A80 lists two possible trouble areas: the HV battery assembly (the “battery pack”) and the battery ECU. The manual states, “When the battery ECU is malfunctioning, [d]ifferences in battery block voltages have a certain pattern,” and it explains how to check for that pattern using the Data List feature of a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system. If that pattern isn’t found, then Toyota’s recommendation is to replace the HV battery assembly with a new one.
    Perhaps the symptoms had separate causes.

Mellyman666 likes this.
  4. John Fish Kurmann

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

5. John Fish Kurmann

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Oh, I forgot to note that the Hybrid System Warning Light is also showing on the Multi-information display.

Do you think there would be any harm in driving it gently to have it serviced?

#5 John Fish Kurmann, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The P0A80 cade will still allow you to drive the car normally. At some point, if this is due to one or more weak internal modules, an additional code will come in, like a P3014. That signifies a specific block of modules that is causing the battery to code out. At that point, the car will go to 'limp' mode and turn into a weak dog. It will drive as if it were a normal auto transmission car with a severely slipping transmission.

7. John Fish Kurmann

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Thank you. Just out of curiosity I decided to find out what would happen if I disconnected the negative cable on the 12v battery for ~5 minutes. After I reconnected and pressed the power button, the Master Warning and Hybrid System Warning lights are off but the Slip Indicator and ABS lights are now newly on in addition to the Brake System Warning, VSC and Malfunction Indicator lights. Is it me or is this bizarre?

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The pack is 14 years old with 150k miles of use so nothing could be wrong with it, right?

9. John Fish Kurmann

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm not suggesting that nothing could be wrong, but my wife & I have a 2004 Prius with 230000+ miles and all original hybrid parts except the inverter pump. The most expensive thing we've had to replace on it is the Multi-information display.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    driving more miles increases battery longevity.

disconnecting the 12v just clears the codes. they'll come back eventually. the new codes may or may not have to do with a low 12v

11. John Fish Kurmann

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Strike my post above. I thought I had the car in Ready mode but I did not. When I pressed power again, all warning lights went off, so I decided to take it out for a drive. It worked perfectly fine, even on the highway at 55 MPH...for about 10 miles. Then the warning lights came back on and the battery-cooling fan came on loud. Could the problem be that the fan needs to be cleaned?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    worth checking, but more likely you have a module overheating, meaning the battery is kaput

13. John Fish Kurmann

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I can understand how driving a car very little causes problems over time but 10,000 miles a year, while less than the US average of 13,476, isn't all that low.

14. John Fish Kurmann

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I wasn't expecting disconnecting the battery to solve a real problem but was hoping this might still just come down to a glitch triggered by the defective 12v battery's failure. Looks like we won't be that lucky.

Based on other threads I read, I looked at the inverter coolant reservoir and the coolant was not turbulent.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, 10k a year isn't bad. but plenty of prius batteries croak around 150k after 10 years or more. it's the luck of the draw.

taxi's in cooler climates whou put on 50k ayear ot more get to 500k+ before the battery craps out.

as for the 12v, you can get a free load test at an auto parts store

SFO likes this.
  16. John Fish Kurmann

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The 12v battery was just replaced under warranty as noted in my original post.

I do know a lot of people with Priuses and a few have experienced battery pack failures with less than 150,000 miles on them.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they can be under charged or defective. worth getting a free test.

18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any time you disconnect the 12v battery, you will need to have your foot on the brake and press the power button 2x to get to ready mode.

You will also lose radio station presets and the 'auto' function of the driver window will stop working. restore it's operation by rolling it completely up+ hold the up button for 5 more seconds. That allows the car to learn the window position.

Also, keep in mind that disconnecting the 12v battery will cause all 'learned' data in the ecus to reset to factory default. Fuel trims, throttle body position for carbon buildup, etc. The car will relearn over time and optimize itself again..