1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can a person choose to believe in god?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jan 26, 2007.

1. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 27 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]381658[/snapback]</div>
    Very funny! The doctrine they are referring to is taught to Catholic converts as well, and has its roots in Romans 2:12 in the Christian Scriptures, IIRC. Conservative evangelicals use that scripture, along with the idea that 'the law' is an impossible standard to meet, to say that you cannot be judged by the law and have salvation. Like most Christian doctrine, it is "synthetic" in that it is synthesized from different passages, and therefore very much open to debate. But the concept that those who have not heard the Gospel are judged a different way is very much alive in most Christian traditions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 27 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]381658[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I'm still strugging with one of the five points, and this is really the issue at hand in that one, the idea of limited atonement. "4 point Calvinists" don't believe that the atonement was limited only to those God choses, but that all the sins of the world were placed on Jesus. That is my view also. You may have been exposed to this flavor of Calvinism among the Congregationalists you knew.

The slam against "4 Point Calvinism" or "Amyraldism" is that it "sometimes leads to the idea that no one goes to hell" as one of my Lutheran friends tells me. Now there's a horrible thought. ;)

The Wikipedia articles on Calvinism and
    Amyraldism are actually pretty good now.

As far as the greater question of a totally deterministic world and hell, it is less of a concern to me that my theology sounds right and more of a concern that it is right.

As an analogy, let's say I studied electricity, and came to this conclusion:

Electricity is said to be a wonderful thing, and can heat and light our homes (as well as make our Prius get much better mileage). But people also tell me electricity is also a very destructive force, that burns and cripples and kills. How can you believe in electricity when it does so much damage? I will not believe in an electricity that is destructive.

(Like all analogies, this one fails at some point; the greater question of why a loving God could bear sending someone to hell isn't answered. For those like your friend, it is inconsistent with God's nature for hell to be populated, and she would be more comfortable with one of the "hell is empty" versions of 4 point Calvinism.)

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 27 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]381725[/snapback]</div>
    The reason the electricity analogy completely fails is that electricity is not said to have volition, and is not claimed to love mankind. While I understand your point that it is more important to believe what is true than to believe what feels good, (which I would argue as a point for atheism) I would assert that by definition, eternal torment and love are mutually exclusive. A god who would torment people is not a god of love. Of course, if you abandon the tenet that god is love, then you can believe in hell.

I have had little or no contact with Calvinists, so I am not entiely clear on just what they do believe. I've had contact with evangelicals, adventists, Catholics on various points of the religious continuum, from conservative to radical, conservative and moderate Lutherans, and Congregational UCCs, as well as Wiccans, neo-pagans, spiritualists, old-school pagans, and of course Jews, and a few Hindus and Buddhists. Oh, yes, not to leave out Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.

But the doctrine that Jesus died only for the sins of a pre-ordained few seems utterly contrary to every flavor of Christianity I've encountered before, all of whom believe that Jesus's mission was universal. I am at a loss to understand how such a doctrine arose. Christians typically believed that only they get to heaven, but they always welcomed anyone who wished to convert into their number.

And then I suddenly learned (The Foundations of Western Civilization, part I, taught by Professor Thomas F. X. Noble, from The Teaching Company) that Luther taught that faith is not chosen: it is a gift; and that Calvin took that to its logical conclusion with the doctrine that god chose from the beginning of time to pre-ordain most of his creatures to everlasting hell. And suddenly it seemed that Christianity had progressed from delusional to clinically insane.

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Christianity has internalized the relativistic nature of human perception, and turned it into an ideology. Light can only be recognized where darkness exists.

So they demonize others, to feel superior;
    Export misery, and by so doing 'recognize' their improved condition.
    Offer hell for the sadistic, and heaven for the down-trodden

It is a sick, barbaric ideology, in as much as the polarities are synthetic, and all too often manufactured for the convenience of the institution.

OF COURSE schmika, fshagan, and wildkow want torture to be an american staple. They are christians to the bone.

4. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Using logic it can be concluded that belief in God can ONLY be chosen. If you were to impartially look at the information available to decide if there was a God the only logical conclusion is NO. Or to be more precise, very highly unlikely, like any other imaginary figure would be, e.i., fairies, werewolves, etc. Therefore belief in God can only be a choice, not a reflection of reality.

You can argue that belief in God can be imposed to children by adults. In that case it would still be adults "choice".

5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Jan 27 2007, 06:49 PM) [snapback]381773[/snapback]</div>
    Or child abuse !!! :p

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Jan 27 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]381773[/snapback]</div>
    Not true I say... If God came to me, or witnessed something personally could only be explained as being caused by an act of God (a miracle or something with no potential for a scientific explaination). Then I would believe in God due to hard facts/evidence....not faith. I'm not opposed to such a conversion either...but I've never witnessed anything even coming close to making me believe in God.

BTW folks...I wanna applaud this whole group..this has been one of the most level headed discussions of a very volitile topic I've seen. I think it takes calm discussions like this to gain greater understanding and I think everyone's doing some admirable things.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jan 27 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]381766[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I never said that, but I guess that doesn't matter here.

For those reading this, I do not sanction torture as an American staple; I believe it only makes sense to violate our ethics and standards in the "ticking bomb" type of example, with permission specifically granted at the highest level, rather than the impression given by my friend above.

I am a Christian, though, so if the reader is into irrational guilt by association, then I suppose you can pray for harm to come to me too.

Its just so sad that the left, once proud of their claim to the moral high ground, is so hate filled and bigoted now.

8. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 27 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]381658[/snapback]</div>
    Funny you should ask...if I may be so bold...(oh, and I am an escaped Catholic...who follows Christ now)

I go to a pretty cool church, as churches go, when I am not helping out at other churches...check this out:

Pretty cool, huh?

http://www.barenakedtruthonsex.com/

Attached Files:

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great marketing if nothing else! Sounds compelling.

10. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 27 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]381765[/snapback]</div>
    All doctrine in Christianity is a result of study, debate and compromise. The "problem" Christianity has is that its founder never wrote anything down, so we have only the writings of his followers, which sometimes conflict with each other, as opposed to a religion like Islam, where the founder's words are preserved. So we have to reason and debate, and adopt theories that we think apply the best to the spiritual reality we believe in.

So, here's one possible explanation of how the idea of "Limited Atonement" would come around: If Jesus died for all sin, what use is salvation? Their sins are forgiven, like a mega-Presidential pardon, past, present and future. And if that atonement doesn't really atone, why was the extra burden of the unbeliever's sin placed on Jesus? What kind of a father would do that to his son?

There's a certain "economy" in the idea that foreknowledge and predestination allowed God to put only the sins that needed to be atoned, or paid for, on the back of Jesus.

It is a much more common idea than you might think.

11. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a postscript on the predestination vs. free will argument, Henry Neufeld has an excellent blog entry on it at http://www.energionpubs.com/wordpress/?p=529

Neufeld describes himself thusly: "I am a passionate moderate Christian who is a member of a United Methodist congregation. I’m often called a liberal charismatic." He doesn't fit into the conservative political mode most of you hate so vehemently, so you might enjoy his musings on the subject, as they are not tainted by right wing political ideology.

12. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 28 2007, 01:13 AM) [snapback]381850[/snapback]</div>
    This is not meant as an attack. But, doesn't that mean that anything goes? Without experimentation and independent confirmation how do you know that any "theory" is right?

I say this just to emphasize that everything regarding religion is a construct, that is, made up by us.

This is not a problem by itself as many other aspects of life are "made up" and bring us joy, for example art or literature. However, religion makes specific claims about the universe and requires certain behaviors and attitudes that in modern times are not necessarily the most positive.

There is also this obnoxious capacity of being certain of things independently, and sometimes in spite of the facts.

13. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 27 2007, 10:15 PM) [snapback]381809[/snapback]</div>
    blah blah. Who do you vote for ?

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 27 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]381850[/snapback]</div>
    Why are we to assume that Jesus died for future sin??? Jesus himself believed that the Day of Judgement would come within the lifetime of his disciples. The whole difficulty you present above, and many others as well can be solved by the following reading:

When Adam sinned, his guilt was placed on his descendents. This was unjust. Adam's seed, then, were tained with Original Sin and thus barred from heaven. To rectify his own injustice, god in the form of the second part of the trinity comes to Earth and performs the function of the Passover lamb, dying and atoning for Adam's sin. At this point god's own injustice is cleared, and Adam and his seed are cleansed, forgiven, and saved. The slate is clean, and every person is now responsible for only his own sins, not any longer for Original Sin. Free Will is preserved, and heaven and hell are now given out to each individual based on his merits.

Doesn't that seem much more sensible? God is still a psychopathic sadist for sending anyone to hell, but all those convoluted arguments over predestination and free will disappear.

On the other hand, the religions of Calvin and Schmika still conveniently allow people do do whatever they like because it will make no difference. In Calvin's case, because your fate is predestined, and in Schmika's case because once you've proclaimed your belief you have an irrevocable admission pass to heaven.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Jan 27 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]381773[/snapback]</div>
    I come to the opposite conclusion: If Man were a rational animal, belief in god could not arise out of logic, and could only exist if it were planted in his heart by an external force (which could be the creator or the destroyer).

Of course, Man is not a rational animal.

But I still believe (on different grounds) that belief in the supernatural is not a choice. It is the result of an involuntary (i.e. unintentional) malfunction of the thought process, often brought about by intentional manipulation of a very young child by its elders. (I.e. brainwashing).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Jan 27 2007, 11:56 PM) [snapback]381885[/snapback]</div>
    This is in fact a problem that Calvin recognized and dealt with. He dealt with it by a draconian sort of religious police that punished cruelly and ruthlessly anyone that violated any of his restrictions, which basically included having any sort of fun at all.

Interestingly, universalism faces the same problem: if everyone is saved, you can live anyhow you like. My friend, referred to earlier, has a very Quaker-like answer: The reason for behaving well is that it pleases god. The reason for not behaving bad is that god suffers when we do. By her theology, god suffers when people misbehave, and thus he suffers more than any human could ever endure. He suffers because he loves us, but he still forgives us and admits us all to heaven in the end, just as a loving parent suffers when her child misbehaves, but still forgives him because she loves him unconditionally. My friend lives the best life she is able, because she loves god and wants to make him happy. (And in fact, she lives her life in service to others, and is one of the most exemplary people I know.)

What's interesting is that my friend has found a theology that is internally consistent and posits a loving creator. The standard versions of Christianity are internally inconsistent with their attempts to join love to eternal torture, and their attempts to reconcile Free Will with a god who knows the future. Omnipotence and omniscience are illogical concepts, and there is really no good reason to ascribe them to a creator. To take the old and worn-out "watchmaker" analogy: A watchmaker builds a remarkable piece of machinery. But neither the watch nor its maker is perfect, and the watchmaker does not know exactly how far off the watch will be in a year from now. Christians would be able to maintain the internal consistency of their theology, and would be able to remove the stigma of mental illness from their creator, if they simply abandoned the untenable assertion that he is all-powerful and can know the future.

Why not a god who does his best, and loves us, but does not know what we will choose to do or believe tomorrow? I still would not believe in the unfounded assertion that the world required a supernatural explanation, but at least I would not regard the inventors of such a religion as psychopaths.

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 27 2007, 10:15 PM) [snapback]381809[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, Frank, but this sort of comment, especially coming right after we were congratulated for being so level-headed, isn't exactly helpful. This whole left/right thing really isn't conducive to polite and intelligent conversation in the first place. They're just labels that prevent us from hearing what the other person is saying.

16. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

I for one never had a choice. I was born with a brain that reasons in a certain way and that reasoning dictates my beliefs. I tried to change when I was young to fit in with most of the people around me, but my brain could never buy into it. I can’t say about anyone else but it would be nice to step into another’s shoes for this and many more reasons. But alas, that is not to be.

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bottom line: YES a person can choose to believe in GOD.

Heres one for the people that just love to analize everything..

Lets say I pray for someone to get a job, now they are not looking for a job nor have I told anyone what I prayed for. Poof the person has a job dropped in their lap.... Or I have a clunker for a car, and can not afford another car. I pray for the Lord to please provide me with another one, I start tithing (really cant afford to do that either) but poof I get a conciderable raise and now own a new prius.

explain away. <_< :mellow: :)

18. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jan 28 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]382122[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, you get your car, job, ect. Someone else wins the football game because god is on their side. Yet thousands of children starve in Africa or are killed and abused. I guess their needs were not as important as your new car. Or they did not pray as hard. :(

19. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Jan 27 2007, 11:56 PM) [snapback]381885[/snapback]</div>
    That's a good explanation of the scientific method, but how would you apply "experimentation and independent confirmation" to an area of study such as philosophy, political theory or theology? Not all areas of human inquiry are scientific in nature.

"Anything goes" is a bad way to describe it ... but I get your point. In a sense, you could propose any doctrine at all, but then something very close to the scientific method's "peer review" happens, where your doctrine is tested against the standards people have adopted; for most protestants, that includes if it is consistent with the Bible. There are numerous "systems" for intrepeting the Bible, of course, so your theory has to be pretty persuasive to gain any adherents.

Well, all of us will either know the truth, or be lost to the ages, within 100 years. So then we will know for sure; until then all we can do is examine what is said and make up our minds. The freedom of seeking out God on your own ... what Blackstone called pursuing true happiness ... was one of the foundation stones of freedom.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jan 28 2007, 06:55 PM) [snapback]382122[/snapback]</div>
    Coincidence.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Jan 28 2007, 07:27 PM) [snapback]382133[/snapback]</div>
    Or else god is a white racist neo-nazi bigot and decided not to answer their prayers. Or they used the wrong formula to pray. Or they prayed in Kiswahili and god only understands English. Or they were not of the predestined elect so they don't matter to god, 'because he only loves those he decided before the beginning of time to save.

Or maybe there's so much static between Earth and heaven that sometimes god hears the prayer wrong. Maybe the reason I've got so much money is that priusguy04 was praying for his team to win the Superbowl a few years back, but there was a solar flare disturbing the radio signals and god thought he was praying for me to get rich.

Could it be there really is a god and I have to thank priusguy04 and bad radio interference for my money?

Naw, probably not. Probably all just coincidence.