1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can a person choose to believe in god?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Feb 8 2007, 01:38 PM) [snapback]387002[/snapback]</div>

That ranks high as some of the biggest B*S* I have ever heard.

There are disturbed people in ALL groups. If you are an atheist, you make policy and decisions based on that as well. Nothing in the Bible is irrational....point it out if there is (Oh, simply believing it is not true is not allowed, must be something that is harmful. Quotes required...not just interpretation)

ooops...violating my earlier post...sorry! Unregard if you want...Oh, unregard is not a word, just something I do to make people look at me strange.

2. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Feb 8 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]387013[/snapback]</div>
    Numbers 15 - And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks upon the sabbath day. And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation. And they put him in ward, because it had not been declared what should be done to him. And Jehovah said unto Moses, The man shall surely be put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him to death with stones; as Jehovah commanded Moses. And Jehovah spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of each border a cord of blue.

All of Genesis

Numbers 31 - Moses was enraged with the officers of the army, the commanders of the thousands and commanders of the hundreds, who had come back from this military expedition. He said, "Why have you spared the life of all the women? They were the very ones who, on Balaam's advice, caused the Israelites to be unfaithful to Yahweh in the affair at Peor: hence the plague which struck Yahweh's community. So kill all the male children and kill all the women who have ever slept with a man; but spare the lives of the young girls who have never slept with a man, and keep them for yourselves."

1 Samuel 15 - This is what Yahweh Sabaoth says, "I intend to punish what Amalek did to Israel - laying a trap for him on the way as he was coming up from Egypt. Now, go and crush Amalek; put him under the curse of destruction with all that he possesses. Do not spare him, but kill man and woman, babe and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Schmika,

All of the logic that you've used thus far is circular. The Bible is the word of God because it says so in the Bible is circular. Do you believe every advertiser's claims about his products? I'm pretty sure that you don't. How do you know that the Koran isn't the right book? It says it's the word of God too. What about the Book of Mormon? Similar claims here. Who's right? None of these things can be validated independently.

4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Feb 8 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]387016[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, not irrational....you just don't like it, and this was Mosaic law, no longer the rule during the "Age of Grace".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Feb 8 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]387046[/snapback]</div>
    I don't disagree. I have said before, Faith is defined as belief in things unseen...if there were proof, it would not need faith. So, this is simply what I believe. I argue that it hurts nothing and daily there are proofs of the Bible, i.e. you will be HATED for your belief. I have done nothing to people here who HATE me because of what I believe simply because it is my belief.

Now, people who are "born again" will understand what I am saying, those who are not will simply argue that I am illogical, or irrational, or nuts, or whatever. Fine, just makes me believe all the more.

Good news, y'all can have this peace of mind and faith as well. Just ask!

OH, and how does believing in God prevent me from believing in Science as well. Nothing I believe in has been dis-PROVED by science. Everything against my faith is a THEORY only.

Believing in God and Jesus PROVES to me all those things that science is unsure about.

5. Mirza

Mirza New Member

LOL! Your faith is perhaps nothing but a product of evolution. You ought to get one of your leaders to change it around yet again... even the Quran is written much better ;) .

6. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Feb 9 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]387494[/snapback]</div>
    Everybody's hated for their belief by someone so that proves nothing. Considering the behavior described in those texts provided by Alric I'd say that there's a good reason that poeple hated the Jews. There are many christains and jews that hate other people for their beliefs so the cycle just repeats itself over and over. It's very sad really. So much death and misery propagated by people who can't agree on what the "true" faith is.

Elaborate on the daily proofs...

So if we're in the 'Age of Grace' as you say and the OT is no longer relevant why is it still part of the bible? Are the 10 commandments no longer valid? If the 'Golden Rule' is the rule why can't God abide by it? He's not following his own rules, if that's true. That is, to me, the biggest contradiction in the book.

7. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Feb 9 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]387494[/snapback]</div>
    Just to pick two: the earth was not created in 6 days. Animals, including humans, were not created de novo out of nothing, all living things evolved from a common ancestor through billions of years of evolution.

Ah. And the flood as is described in the bible never happened.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Feb 9 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]387494[/snapback]</div>
    I think its irrational to kill a man for picking up sticks in the wood. Don't you? What rational thought process can lead to death from picking up sticks?

8. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Feb 9 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]387599[/snapback]</div>
    There is that thing about sticks and stones. Also, if you run with a stick you could poke your eye out. :p

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Feb 8 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]387046[/snapback]</div>
    ...and here's where everyone chokes.

It's interesting to me, how people attempt to use THEIR logic to "prove" some sort of "faith". Let's use this argument: God, if he exists, does not exist within your set parameters of what we might consider logic and proof. It's like you're ignorning, the very real possibility, there is something, someone, some entity, whatever, that perhaps enjoys a far different set of "rules" other than A+B=C.

Just because it doesn't fit in your cup doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Believe what you like, a truly open mind acknowledges our reality may very well not be the only one out there...

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Feb 7 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]386849[/snapback]</div>
    The god of the OT and the god of the NT are very different characters, even though Christians claim they are the same god. This probably happened because in the erly days of Christianity, Christians did not want to be thought of as a "new" religion, in a world were "new" was bad, and "old" was good. So they claimed to be the legitimatre heirs of the very old Jewish religion.

But I repeat, that the god you are talking about here is neither loving nor just. Is it just to burn a child with branding irons for speaking out of turn in class? One of the most fundamental aspects of justice is that the punishment fit the crime.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Feb 7 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]386849[/snapback]</div>
    You fail to distinguish between reality and belief. When you say "god is god" you are assuming that there is a god. You are also assuming that he is all-powerful. And a lot of other things besides.

And you believe it is just for a god to create a bunch of people and to decide from the beginning of time that most of them will burn in hell??? The word that describes this kind of a god is not "love" and it is not "just." The word for this kind of god is sadist!

So you are so convinced that punishment is an absolute necessity, that were it not for hell, you would have to take justice into your own hands? You could not accept Jesus's admonition to forgive if you thought that god would not punish people?

Remember, that those "trust fund" kids have their wealth invested, and they pay tax on the dividends. They don't pay as much as they should, as our tax system is not sufficiently progressive, but they pay more in dollars than their working-class counterpart. I assure you that I pay a bundle in taxes.

"Let's say" is not a valid argument.

There are many ideas about the origin of the world. The western monotheistic religions claim that the world was created by a being who is all-knowing, all-powerful, and present everywhere. This god then becomes the judge of the world.

But those characteristics of god are trotted out with no reason, justification, or evidence to back them up. If god were a real thing, you could argue that our notions of how he should behave are irrelevant, because he is what he is.

However, since god is a fictional construct, then we can examine what the characteristics of this god say about the people who invented him:

The ancient Jews saw the creator as a really nasty guy who you'd better fear, because he's likely to stomp you into the ground. Even Job, who we are told did everything right, got stomped on because god wanted to make a point to satan. The Jewish conception of god fits pretty well the world we live in.

But when the Christians decided that god is a loving destroyer, they revealed their own character: they were vengeful, intolerant, hate-filled people who wanted nothing more than to torture anyone they didn't like, and they transfered this anger to their imaginery creator.

11. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Feb 9 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]387619[/snapback]</div>
    But you are making the irrational jump of:

"I don't know or can know B"

to

"I don't know or can know B, and therefore it must be God"

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Feb 9 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]387494[/snapback]</div>
    In other words, this alleged god person created the world and everything in it, and then created humans and gave us reason, but then announces that anyone who actually uses their reason will go to hell, and the only way you can be saved is to believe "things unseen," in other words, you must believe things that are apparently nonsense, and for which there is no evidence.

Likewise, your statement, oft repeated, that only believers will understand: You make an argument for the existance of an imaginary creator, an argument which is preposterous on the face of it, and then you parry all logical responses by insisting we must believe before we can understand.

Note, however, that this approach can be used for any illogical construct. Let's say I were to visit your home, and tell you that your house is full of dancing elephants. You would deny it. Then I could say that the only way to see the elephants is to first believe in them. You'd be on the phone calling for the men in the white coats to take me away. But your arguments about religion are precisely those of the person who says you have to believe in the dancing elephants before you can see them.

And BTW Schmika, I do not hate you. I disagree with you, and I think you are delusional, but I don't hate you.

13. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Feb 9 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]387624[/snapback]</div>
    No, YOU are the one making that jump. I'm not saying, "Therefore it MUST be God" (as that in itself ties you into OUR system of logic), what I'm saying is more amongst the lines of, a possibility of other than what we know or are even able to define and comprehend. Or to put it another way, lab rats cannot comprehend "human" logic, is it reasonable to believe we might be the lab rats in this case? Just because humans, arguably, are the most intelligent creatures on Earth, does not necessarily mean we are the most intelligent entity in the universe... We presume we are in the absence of anything to the contrary in our sphere of logic, but it's still OUR sphere of logic.....

14. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Feb 9 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]387635[/snapback]</div>
    I would rather wait until there is any indication that there is anything beyond our "sphere of logic" to start worrying about it.

15. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Feb 9 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]387619[/snapback]</div>
    No, you're not understanding what I'm saying. I'm saying that statements like "The Bible is the truth because it says it is" are rubbish and useless for establishing anything. The onus is not on me to prove anything. Proponents of the Bible are making claims based on the circular logic of the bible. It's their logic that's being criticized. I've made no specific claims about the nature of God. I certainly don't rule out the possibility that there's some sort of God out there but I have no concept of what it might be. I'm also certain that humans are very limited in their perception of the universe and agree with your sphere of logic idea. It's Christians who make the claim that humans are the apex of the mortal being hierarchy, not me. I find that view to be incredibly arrogant and pathetic, really. It's a pretty sad comment on the nature of things if we're the best of the best.

I'm not an atheist, I'm a staunch agnostic. Atheism is a form of faith. I rather don't like faith. And I'm not hedging my bets just in case. Based on what I've seen I've come to the conclusion that all of the gods devised by man don't exist. I'm not able to measure the existence of a god, so I don't know if there's a god out there and I don't know the nature of this god, but my inclination is to observe the world around me for clues. Mostly just a way for me to develop my own philosophy really.

16. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Feb 9 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]387698[/snapback]</div>
    I disagree. Atheism follows the evidence. Anything is possible but you certainly don't believe in everything. There are degrees of possibility. Based on the fact there is ZERO evidence for the existence of god, and most of what we know of the natural world makes his existence very highly unlikely the evidence so far points to the non-existence of god.

17. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are you talking about the christian god or just the idea of a god? I'm talking about the latter. There's faith in science... Uniformatarianism is the basis of science. I think it's a reasonable assumption, much more reasonable than other assumptions, but still an assumption.

18. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Feb 9 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]387782[/snapback]</div>
    Any god that you can talk to.

19. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 9 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]387621[/snapback]</div>
    Of course. I am predisposed to believe in God; I always have believed, even before I knew which God I believed in. If you're looking for someone to prove God's existence to you, I'm not the guy. I don't think it is possible for me to prove God exists, any more than it is possible for you to prove a negative (i.e., that He does not exist).

The only thing I can do is try to communicate my views on certain issues, and how they fit into my theology (which is not a finished work, and if I'm lucky, will never be finished.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 9 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]387621[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps. I can understand your thinking here. But there's an important concept I've tried to explain before, and I'm failing at doing it. Everything, good and bad, is God's fault; He either creates it, endorses it, or allows it to happen. He could have stopped the planes from crashing into the WTC, or my cousin from dying from cancer. So He's responsible for those things in a de-facto sort of way.

I'll have to take a look at the "burn in hell" theology a bit to see if I can really support it from a scriptural standpoint. There really isn't much in the Jewish tradition that supports it, and not much in scripture. There is a lot in Christian tradition, and I hold tradition in high enough esteem that I don't reject it out of hand. There is a certain inconsistency with our modern understanding of God, but my discomfort with breaking from tradition on that basis is simply that inconvenient things are often true, so my feelings about a matter are not the final arbitrator when forming my theology.

No ... because I believe one thing is true, does not mean I believe the opposite is true. In other words, the idea that God will take care of vengence, freeing me to forgive, does not obligate God to perform to my expectations. It is enough for me to know that I don't have to take care of it. What happens beyond the veil is God's business.

Ah, wasn't aware there were rules like that here!

Is it fair to say that your view is that man creates the god he desires, more out of his own needs than the evidence at hand?

20. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

agreed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Feb 9 2007, 10:01 PM) [snapback]387875[/snapback]</div>
    I would say you just nailed it on the head, but that's just me. There are many similarities between the many religions of the world. The devil's in the details (sorry, couldn't resist) and that's what get's everyones dander up. My biggest complaint is that people spend so much time, energy, blood, and misery bickering and fighting over details of this process or that. If people would simply say "I have a moral obligation to reduce and minimize the suffering in the world." we'd be much better off than we are now. Has it really ever been important what day of the week someone works on (in the case of the guy in Numbers)? I mean really. In fact, all of the verses that Alric quoted are great examples of people maximizing suffering. And that's from the Bible. One of the oldest religious texts around.