1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can a used SKS fob from another car be programmed for my car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by VFerdman, Jul 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was at a junk yard the other day and they were running a bucket special where an orange Home Depot buckt of part I pull myself from cars on their lot is $50. I pulled a bunch of Matrix parts which I needed and also saw 1 single Gen 2 Prius there (Gen 1 Matrix was also alone). I got a few parts off the Prius and saw an SKS fob just sitting there on the seat, so a threw that into the bucket. I already have two fobs with my car, but I am wondering if:

a). A used fob from another SKS vehicle can be programmed for my car using the chicken danc
    b). can these cars have three fobs programmed to them? I know there is a limit as to how many keys a car can have in memory. Not sure what is the limit for our Gen 2 cars.

Thanks in advance!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know the limit is more than two. not sure about the used fob, they usually present problems from what I've read

VFerdman likes this.
  3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gen 2 limit is 5 fobs. You'll need to do a seed reset with a used fob. Locksmith/dealer can do that, or you can purchase a seed number online for about $35 last time I heard. I'm not aware of anyone virginizing a Gen 2 fob like they do for later generations.

VFerdman likes this.