1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can anybody clarify the AUTO, AUTO ECO, and A/C climate control modes?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by richiro, Jan 27, 2016.

1. richiro

richiro New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anybody know if the 2016 Prius has some setting or mode in its climate control / ac system where the car manages compressor use and automatically turns it on/off as needed?

Or is that a 100% manual thing by hitting the A/C button on and off yourself?

Sure would be nice to have that automated as well so the compressor isn't running all the time (or you forget) and thus can save battery/fuel too.

Thank you for your help!

2. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Auto turns on/off the compressor as necessary.
    Auto ECO has a more aggressive policy to make sure felt temperature is correct, but using less energy.
    A/C - you turn on/off the compressor yourself. I'd never use it unless a situation I cannot predict, requires you to manually turn on/off the compressor.
    The user's manual has all the necessary information anyway.
    PS: any A/C system in any car built in the last 10 years with automatic climate control (electronic) turns on/off the compressor as required by the set temperature, inside/outside temperature, humidity, light exposure, etc.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think even the gen 3 has variable speed a/c compressor. and even when in manual mode, the a/c runs sometimes, even though the button light is off.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As implied above, no, the compressor does not run all the time in any "A/C" mode. In a Prius, "A/C" means literally, "air -conditioning-", not just cooling. It could be heating, or just running the fan, or even nothing operating.
    Also, as stated above, "eco" mode tends to run the system at less than full power, and even in "normal" mode "A/C", the compressor, if running, is variable speed. It will be run at whatever power level the system deems necessary. Including zero.

The Prius is a 21st century vehicle, "This is not your grandfathers car." ;)

5. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    European models have 3 Settings .

Standard,Eco and Fast .
    Is that different to the US models ?
    In the European owners manual it is said that "Fast" will speed up the fan,I am hoping that setting will defrost the windshield a bit faster .

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, we have nothing like that. i suppose auto eco is similar to your eco, and auto equals standard.
    fast is an interesting term, i would like to know the details in the owners manual.

7. richiro

richiro New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thanks!!! funny u say that "every car" in the last decade b/c the manuals of some other cars I've owned (built within the last 10 yrs) have specifically said differently.

So AUTO does regular compressor use - how much is related to Eco vs Normal.
    A/C is for conditioning (aka "dehumidification" purposes) and not related to achieving/maintaining Temp.

Awesome and thanks! Huge relief and big smile on my face!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    um, a/c is related to temp. and auto is related to temp.