1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can anybody give me a good reason to not rip off the ugly plastic wheel covers off the rims?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sl7vk, Aug 2, 2006.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darkecho @ Aug 14 2006, 05:48 PM) [snapback]303207[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 14 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]303260[/snapback]</div>
    I think what's happening is, with the trim rings on, the wheels are more prominent, so you notice them more. Generally, when something is more noticable, they look larger. On the other hand, because they are noticable, you notice how SMALL they are. When the rings are off, the wheels just sort of blend in to the background, so you don't really notice their size, or lack of.

Now, did that make any sense at all??? :lol:

2. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 14 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]303280[/snapback]</div>
    Sorta like "jumbo shrimp"? ;)

3. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ Aug 5 2006, 08:46 AM) [snapback]298180[/snapback]</div>
    Same thing happened to me. Must be a point of emphasis!

4. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

its up to you, but they may provide some measure of protection to the wheels.

5. narussian

narussian New Member

I hit the rings on the curb a few times. Since I have taken them off I haven't hit the wheels. I think the plastic rings stick out just far enough to touch the curb while parking too close. I am not worried about the metal wheels because they don't stck out and probably won't get scratched.

Also, I thinkthe rings are just goofy looking!

I have mine if anyone needs them!

6. molgrips

molgrips Member

Two were scuffed when we bought the car, so we had (in our lame attempt at bargaining on a used car) new ones put on. The car's quite a bit bigger than our last one, so within a couple of days I'd clonked one on the corner of our pathway reversing out of the drive, and my wife hit the kerb on an admittedly awkward corner near our house... So back to square one :)

Both impacts though would've really screwed up the wheels if the trims hadn't been there...

By the way, these wheels came on my Prius: (sorry for the crap picture, it's from the website)
    [attachmentid=4561]
    I think I like 'em better than the USA ones :)

7. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Aug 7 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]299447[/snapback]</div>
    I've never had a problem in any other car I've driven remembering what gear I am in, and I don't expect to have any problem in the Prius. I don't see it being any more likely to forget that the car is in reverse than it is to remember that it is in drive, and we don't have a beep to tell us about it being in drive. So I disabled the reverse-beep in part to eliminate an annoying distraction when I have the car in reverse.

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(archermoo @ Aug 21 2006, 11:52 AM) [snapback]306853[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. Pretty much my theory. Al--you as a pilot are USED to lots of bells and whistles, virtual and actual. For some of us, the high-tech-ness of the Pri is a sufficient potential distraction. Adding the auditory element...well, for me, it just was more of a hazard than any kind of assistance. My Prius driving training has included learning to use the Park button and the parking brake EVERY time I make any prolonged stop (even before hitting the power off...just so it is ALWAYS habitual). And the blinking "R" light on the dash, not to mention the rear-view camera pic on the MFD, are further visual cues. The beeping noise prevents me from paying attention to whatever else I need to.

9. molgrips

molgrips Member

It's not there in case you FORGET. I was manoevering in a car park recently, casually slipped the lever into D but I didn't quite engage it fully and I was still in reverse. The beep let me know I was still in reverse before I backed into someone's car. Conventional autos have a big heavy lever and a firm clonk that lets you know it's engaged - not so the Prius.

A reviewer also pointed out that the beep is audible outside the car, and provides an important audio cue for anyone walking around behind you that you are in reverse.

Safety equippment is there to improve safety. Disabling it cos you can't deal with it is arrogant and careless, isn't it? Just because YOU never got the wrong gear in the past, doesn't mean it won't happen some day in the future. I know I've done it quite a few times in previous (manual) cars.

10. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I like them....

Oh well....

11. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Aug 23 2006, 04:02 AM) [snapback]308128[/snapback]</div>
    Arrogant and careless? A bit, um, arrogant of you to say so, perhaps? I have never had a car, in 30 years of driving, that beeped at me. And I have never backed up (very much) by mistake. The beep distracts ME, and is, therefore, NOT SAFE FOR ME TO HAVE. Just as, until recently, airbags were not safe for 5' tall me, because their undifferentiated speed of deployment meant I was as likely to end up with a broken neck as be protected by them. "Arrogant" of me not to have bought a car with that "safety" feature? "Careless?" (Oh, yeah, there have been luxury cars for quite some time that had "smarter" airbags, but we couldn't afford them.)

A couple of times in my past, airbags would have been a good thing. I have never had the need for a back up beeper.

Sorry molgrips, but I don't need either you or big brother to tell me what safety features are best for me, thanks for the input.

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Aug 23 2006, 04:02 AM) [snapback]308128[/snapback]</div>
    Not in the US; you'd have to add a beeper if you want people behind you to hear it.

13. molgrips

molgrips Member

If airbags are dangerous for short people then they are a conditional safety feature and are only suitable for taller people. As if anyone would recommend something dangerous... come on.

The beep isn't dangerous. Being that easily distracted is more dangerous. Someone somewhere will knock the tranny into reverse just like I did and start backing up when they mean to move forward. The beep might well save their car or a fellow shopper. Sure, lots of people think they don't need the beeper cos they never knock the lever.. but the person that disables the beep, knocks the lever and runs someone over will also think that they don't need the feature.

Lots of people think that they don't need seatbelts, or motorcycle helmets, or that they're ok to drive after however many beers. Lots of people die proving them wrong, but they still don't listen.

And if big brother didn't tell us to wear seatbelts or helmets, or drive sober, then you can be sure even more people would do it! Just ask your parents' generation. I'm happy to be told what's safe - just in case there's something I didn't think of...

Of course, the reverse beeper is a very very minor feature, and isn't going to cause much damage either way. But there's a principle here isn't there?

14. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota claims they improve mileage by about 0.4mpg (a little less then one percent).

15. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I find that the covers really simplify the job of washing the wheels. If you hand wash your car (as I do), that's a big plus. I'm also in the camp of those who feel that the wheels look better with the covers than without them.

16. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Aug 5 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]298324[/snapback]</div>
    I won't want mine. No need for them.

So I gave them away. Along with the stock rims.

17. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, here's my 2 cents worth on those plastic rims... they really do protect your wheels from 'curb rash', especially if you are not too good at avoiding curbs, or do a lot of city driving like we do (Washington, DC). We did scrape both plastic rim covers on the passenger side about 2 months ago, and it really hurt. But just went to Toyota and picked up 2 new ones, popped the damaged ones off, tossed them in the recycle bin, and everything looked good as new. Yes, I much prefer the way the wheels look without those plastic covers, but for us, we will keep them on just for the abuse of city driving.

18. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the wheels look better without them, but my wife will bash the wheels within a month. If she doesn't, eventually I will so they are staying on...

Doug

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Aug 5 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]298324[/snapback]</div>