1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can anyone help me...can't remove key from ignition?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jinkiesscoobygirl, Jul 30, 2010.

1. jinkiesscoobygirl

jinkiesscoobygirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a very new Prius owner (haven't had the car 2 weeks). On Wednesday I went to have my 2008 Prius aligned and had a local garage hook it up to their computer to run a complete diagnostics on the car (since a brake light was on after brakes were changed). Their diagnostics indicated the 12v battery was weak.

So today I get in the car. The remote will only open one door. The dash gauges come on, but the car doesn't start (display doesn't come on at all either). I try to turn the power button off, but it stays lit and car keeps beeping. The gear indicator light stays lit. I cannot figure out how to remove the key from the ignition. How do I get the key out? I don't really want to leave the car unlocked in my driveway with key in it, even though I don't think anyone would bother it. Any ideas?

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I have an '06, the key is locked in the ignition because the car doesn't think it's turned off, it thinks it's in park or in gear, whoever changed the battery must have been having a bad day...
    suggest you call a Toyota garage if your electrical problems don't go away when you restart the car.
    BTW, the positive terminal for the battery has three electrical connections all of which can be disconnected for inspection, I wonder if one of them is loose or unconnected.

1 person likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try holding the POWER button down for several seconds. See if the car will turn off.

If not, you won't be able to remove the fob from the slot, until the 12V battery is disconnected and then replaced. Do you have the tools and ability to disconnect the battery yourself?

If not, you can at least remove the mechanical key from the fob so that you can lock the car.

Look at the end of the fob where it is sticking out of the slot. Note a slide on the end and move it with a finger while pulling on the key chain ring with your hand. The mechanical key will slide out of the fob.

Lock the three doors (besides the driver's door) manually. Then close the driver's door and use the mechanical key to lock the driver's door.

1 person likes this.
  4. jinkiesscoobygirl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No one changed the battery, it is the original battery as far as I know. Holding the power button down doesn't work, key refuses to budge. The park light does flash when I press the power button. Would I be able to jumpstart the car to take it to get repaired?

I have been reading these forums for about a week, and after they told me about battery being weak my husband checked it using the "maintenance mode" on the MFD. It did show less than what was recommended, but that was Wednesday afternoon, haven't had a chance to get it fixed yet. My husband is very mechanically inclined, but has never worked on a hybrid, can I buy this type of battery locally and he change it?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can buy the 12V battery at your local Toyota dealer's parts department. MSRP is $139. Call ahead to see if it is in stock. You cannot buy the correct battery elsewhere because the battery terminal posts are a smaller diameter than the US standard.

You can jump the car if needed as long as you are 100% sure that you have the battery polarity correct. An error will probably short out the inverter, which will cost you $2-3K to replace.

It is not particularly hard to replace the 12V battery if you have metric sockets and open end/box wrenches available. The battery is located in the right rear of the hatch under the triangle-shaped floor cover. To open the hatch without battery power, you have to crawl into the back. Remove the folding hatch floor. Find the little rectangular panel in the black tray over the spare tire and remove the panel to find the mechanical hatch lock release.

It will be necessary to remove the traction battery vent that runs over the 12V battery, as well as the brake power supply which is the rectangular black box next to the battery.

Remove the negative battery cable where it connects to the body, as that is easier to access than the cable connector at the battery.

Don't forget the vent hose that runs down from the battery to the body. Before removing the hose, feel around to see where the hose goes into a grommet in the body.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *Don't* force the key out of the slot. Change the battery or jumpstart the car first.

7. jinkiesscoobygirl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all your help. We bought the car from a car dealer friend (he specializes in Toyotas and other foreign made cars) who showed us how to jumpstart it. I might take it back to him and see if he will do anything about the battery since I just bought the car. I was hoping this might be a "special order" item from an auto parts store (my mother-in-law works at one and we would be able to get it at cost with her discount).

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ask her if she can order parts from a dealer. I've purchased items from a parts store, and then took the paper work to a dealer to pick them up. Mechanics also buy parts from dealers at wholesale, and then mark them up to the same price as the dealer would charge you directly.

9. jinkiesscoobygirl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We didn't make it to the dealership before it closed. We have had to jumpstart the car 3 times. The fourth time we tried, it did not work. My husband removed the battery and we took it to the local auto parts store. They put it on their charger/tester. They charged it for about 30 minutes, then it tested it. Test showed it was good (the place I got it aligned showed it as a weak battery). We brought the battery back home, reinstalled it on the car and the car started right up. Now what? I don't know why one place would indicate battery weak and the other say battery good. Should I still replace the battery?

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would keep an eye on the battery thrrough Maintenance Mode on the MFD. Trickle charge the battery & if it holds a charge I'd leave it alone. If it doesn't then buy the battery, trickle charge it until it is full then swap it out. Toyota's replacement battery will have a 1 year/unlimited mileage warranty.

The fob is stuck in the slot because the car has determined that it needs to run to charge the battery.

There are different ways to test a battery & some are more reliable than others.

1 person likes this.
  11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I suspect that although you charged the battery that it will fail again and quite soon. There probably is a weak cell or two in the battery so you either have to trickle charge it all the time or the the better thing is get a new battery. Winter is around the corner and it really sounds like this battery will not survive.

13. jinkiesscoobygirl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is so weird, the car has been running fine since the battery was charged. We did notice the headlight switch had been left on, but since the headlights shut off when the car turns off I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. We are planning on replacing the existing battery with an optima battery if/when it fails. Thanks everyone for the help, this is a great website.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The headlights do not always automatically turn off when the car is turned off. The headlights will automatically turn off if you power down the car, and then open the driver's door. Only that combination will automatically turn off the headlights.

Opening the driver's door and then turning on the headlights will result in a dead battery. Likewise leaving the lights on and exiting through another door.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  15. jinkiesscoobygirl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is what we did. We were so used to the automatic headlights we forget to turn the switch off.

Time will tell about the battery, we have a portable booster pack in the car just in case.