1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can anyone identify 2010-11 nav headunit's unlabeled sockets?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ChapmanF, Aug 11, 2016.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The ones shown in the wiring diagram, no problem. The AM/FM and GPS antenna sockets are easy to confirm (by pulling them out and having the AM/FM or GPS stop working). But in my 2010, there are some sockets on the back that I don't see in the wiring diagram, and nothing in the car plugs into them, and there are no labels on the back of the unit, so ....

E7022rear.jpg
    On this unit, the AM/FM antenna socket is the same old round Motorola socket I had on my first car. :) There is a similar but smaller one just below it, where nothing plugs in (??). Strangely, the wiring diagram does show an "FM sub" antenna, which I don't think a 2010 or 2011 actually has (didn't the wire-printed right quarter window start with 2012?). I wonder if maybe that smaller socket is to allow such a diversity antenna, but the 2010-11 car just doesn't have one.

The gray square RF connector is obviously the GPS antenna. The blue (??) also looks like an RF/antenna connector of some sort, but nothing in the car plugs in there. Anybody know what that's for?

This is the model where the XM satellite decoding isn't done in the head unit, there's a separate box under the driver's seat and I think the satellite antenna goes straight there, not to the head unit. So I'm at a loss what other antenna that blue socket could be for.

The final mystery is the L45 socket - this one is shown in the wiring diagram (that's how I know it's L45!) but nothing in the car is plugged into it, and in the diagram I didn't see any circuits drawn to it!

Anybody know any of the missing details?

-Chap

2. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That looks like a USB cable.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ooh, nicely spotted. I see the similarity ... but I'm not sure I quite see an exact match. The USB connector looks more square (even allowing for it being shown at an angle) ... and I think the blue connector has pins in that inner area; the inner block in the USB connector looks solid, closed on the end.
    usborno.jpg
    The other thing is, I'm not sure why this head unit would have a USB socket on the back. The 2010 does have USB, but the cable runs from the center console over to an add-on MP3/iPod player under the driver's seat (stuck to the bottom of the XM satellite decoder with double-stick tape).
    usbbox.png
    Ok, this audio system has still more mysteries. At the right rear headliner corner, there are two plugs joining antenna wires. Each plug has two coax cables (that's four total!), plus the white one has one more plain wire that I assume is power to the antenna preamp:
    rearant.jpg
    Unplugging the white one loses the AM/FM, and makes the satellite/XM give a blinking "ANTENNA" message. Unplugging the gray one lights up the SafetyConnect error LED.
    Ok, so that accounts for both coax cables in the white one, and one of the two to the gray one. What's the other one for?
    It shouldn't be the GPS antenna ... that's buried in the dash, way up forward under the windshield.

-Chap

4. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are correct. I browsed some pictures of the back of the 57031 head units and the USB plug is very square versus your more rectangular plug.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Found the mystery blue connector. It is in the wiring diagram, just not if you are looking at the Navigation Receiver page where you'd be inclined to look. Look on the Intelligent Parking Assist page and there it is, L105, connecting the parking assist ECU to the nav unit.

L105.png

Now I get why the separate "Overall EWD" section of the wiring diagram is useful ... there, the nav unit is shown with an extra, L105 connector, and a cross reference to the parking assist page.

-Chap

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As it turns out, that connector is a GVIF video input. Contrary to the diagram, it's not a magical one-wire interface ... Toyota just drew it as "one" position, standing in for the actual GVIF pinout.

Seems to be how the parking computer draws its calculated parking space outlines over the video being shown from the camera.

-Chap

7. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    do any of u guys know which connectors is the video input for 2010-2011 priuses without parking assist? (i got the parking assist, but im gonna try to add a second camera, a front facing camera, and if the video connector thats used for the ones without parking assist is empty i can use that) i dont got any subscription on this fancy "techtoyota.com" or whatever its called so i can find it out myself. So im wondering u guys know? after what ive seen, i think its either L40 or L41? on spot 1 and 2. EDIT: after looking at some of the L37 extenisons u can get with the video cable integrated it looks like its in spot 22 and 23.

Attached Files:

#7 MagnusAG99, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  8. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you have ATP with self parking, the camera is routed to the self parking ECU. It's then converted into digital and routed to the head unit via GVIF cable. The cam input at the head unit is not used and not activated so you can't use the Axxess harness unless you unplug the self parking ECU. I'm working on a video switcher that uses the Axxess harness to hijack the rear cam for video input for the 2010-2011 Prius nonATP and many others. My switcher will work with 2010-2011 with ATP but you'll have cut the camera wires at the parking ECU.