1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can anyone recommend a roof rack and kayak saddles for my Prius V?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Kathy Majka, Jun 7, 2012.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I was doing some measurements in my 06Prius last night. If I get a 10-ft Tarpon looks like you could almost squeeze that in, with the front seat down, which is a testament to the room in Prius. If we had an assortment of Kayaks we could conduct some fit tests, but you might be able to get a 9.5 footer in a Prius, and my minivan can maybe hold a 11.5 footer.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...further on the topic of fitting kayak inside cars - is interesting topic. Not much, but some on this on Google.
    Looks you might squeeze a Trident 11.5-ft into a minivan, but would have to be upside down. Sounds like one guy put in it wrong and it went thru his windshield on a bump by the boat ramp. I assume once you get all your fishing gear on there you would rather not turn the kayak upside down for transport.

Anyways wanted to mention the safety note above. Presume we do not want a kayak positioned (in Prius or any car) so it could propel out the windows, and should be secured somehow.

Quite a few shorter kayak options - mini-X and Stealth 9-footers for example may make trying to get inside cars a more common endeavor.