1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can anyone recommend the best Epoxy garage floor coating?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JMD, Dec 19, 2012.

1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Based on experience any suggestion?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My dad tried every kind they make... Not much difference between 'em all... Just expect to have to repaint often... It'd be interesting to experiment with plasti-dip? :)

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No personal experience with epoxy. I used a concrete hardener/sealer. It seals the floor and makes the surface of the concrete harder. It's not as pretty as epoxy but it will never chip unless the concrete itself is chipped. You can get clear or colored, if you use clear the floor looks pretty much like normal concrete except oil and paint spills can be wiped clean if you don't let them sit too long. Warehouses and bigbox discount and hardware stores usually use it on their concrete floors.

Sorry, but I don't remember what brand I used.

JMD likes this.
  4. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Buddy!

5. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Prep work is crazy. Clean, than degrease if needed, now apply, reapply. The last car I had I parked outside and the paint took a beating. Getting the 2 cars in a garage is the goal. Thought I try and get the floor looking half way decent. I already painted the walls and threw out a bunch of stuff.

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good news/bad news is that the prep work is the same amount of work for any coating if you want it to last.

7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm with you on that one. Just found out last night that one brand I looked at recommended a Concrete temperature not to be below 40 degrees F for 3 days in order to set correctly. I did not purchase the Epoxyapply yet but it has been in the 30's outside. My son took a temperature reading last night so I will find out more today. The garage is inside and conceret temp may be different than outside temp. This may have to wait a week or so for a warm spell. There are other brands that can be a lower temp.

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It will cure at a lower temperature, but will be gummy/sticky longer in the cold. Have you thought about the floor tiles? Just snap together, nice surface of any kind. I just have regular concrete in my garage but it is heated and then I sweep out the gravel from the driveway every few weeks. It stays clean and still looks nice. I figure once you paint it, seal it, enhance it, coat it, or whatever else to it you are stuck forever. Basic concrete is basic concrete and looks ok. Do stuff to it, and it looks even better until you need to maintain it later because the car rubbed it away in a certain area, and now you have to blend or redo the entire thing.

We've parked cars inside in all our houses and the most we have done in any of them was a couple houses back we did the rubber tile floor. Simple solid colour, and when a tile got wrecked for some reason, it was a 10 minute fix and you could never tell.

PriusCamper and JMD like this.
  9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks I'll look into that. It may hold up better as you say. I believe it may be more expensive but heck if it holds up better it is a win-win.

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    JMD likes this.
  11. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This reminds me... our town has some neighborhood groups that decided to brighten up their intersections with a giant mandalas and my friend who mixed up the basic outdoor housepaint whispered to me "I mixed concrete in with the paint." And here we are a half-dozen years later all the other neighborhoods that painted mandalas washed away in our town's famous heavy rains, but the one he mixed with concrete in the paint is still there....

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not saying its the best, but I used the Rustoleum expoxy garage floor product from Home Depot. That was probably 7 years ago. So I am thinking of doing it again sometime. It looked good for a 3-4 years now it is looks older. Couple problems with the product are sometimes tires take the paint off the floor, also it fades if exposed to sun. I will try to touch up the bare spots with spray paint, hoping the expoxy holds to that better than the bare floor. The fun part of the job was sprinkling the color chips over the wet paint.

JMD likes this.
  14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I

That's the main thing that kept me from ever doing these coatings...

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's all about prepping the concrete. i saw them do it on 'this old house'. it's a big job to do it right. of course, i have no idea how that held up...

16. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep using Muric acid to get the concrete clean and Porus. Prep is the key.

17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I'm giving these guys a shot. They have a lifetime guarantee. If you buy it at Lowes you get about 30% off so a 2 car garage costs about $200 for materials. But there are other things to purchase so figure another $100 respirator, boots, sand paper, beer, etc.

http://www.epoxy-coat.com/index.php

18. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I put down the rustoleum product about 4 years ago and it's still holding up fine. The centerstand on my motorcycle will scratch through it so I need to be cautious and use a rubber mat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I needed two kits to cover my entire garage plus a small tool room and the old flormica counter in there.

[​IMG]

You need to really clean the surface really well prior to application.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JMD likes this.
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not too bad except front right tire is sits on an area where the prior owner apparently had oil leaks from his car and it soaked into the cement.

...looks interesting I will give that brand some thought if I do it over again next spring. It's too cold here to try it now. SoCal you probably can do it now!

Fotomoto- nice work! I especially liked the matching shelf.

JMD likes this.
  20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you use a hardening sealer, you basically can't scrape it off. You can still scrape and gouge the concrete, but the sealer becomes one with the concrete. Look in a Home Depot or Lowes where the forklifts operate and you might see some examples of scrapes in the concrete from forklifts. You can still scrape or gouge the concrete, but since the sealer hardens it, it's harder to scrape

JMD likes this.