1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can anyone tell me...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mose121, Jun 22, 2006.

1. mose121

mose121 New Member

Can anyone here tell me, and provide a credible source for verification, what happens to the hybrid or "Trac" battery once it can no longer hold a charge? How is it disposed of? I'm told the avg. lifespan of these batteries is 7-8 years and am just curious as to what is done with them after that.

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

First, no one can tell you what the average lifespan is, as this is only the third year this upgraded battery has been in use. No one has worn one out yet. Discovering what the average lifespan WILL BE is intriguing for many of us.

Second, there is no formal program for disposal of the battery pack---yet. Whether Toyota will institute one remains to be seen. Cars that have been wrecked have had their batteries "parted out" like any other part. If you simply wore one out, your local landfill or trash-collection company procedures would apply.

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, the average lifespan can't be 7-8 years, because they're warranted for 10 years/150,000 miles here in California! Did you ever know a manufacturer to design something that wore out before the warranty was up? MAYBE a few might fail for some reason before the end of the warranty, but Toyota would give you a new battery (not prorated) in that case.

Also, Toyota dealers are authorized to give you a $200 bounty for a hybrid battery. They are completely recyclable (but if it's in good shape after a crash, you'd get more by selling it on eBay). As a matter of fact, I haven't heard of ANY hybrid batteries wearing out yet--at least not on the 2001-2006 models, and I *think* not even on the Japan-only 1998-2000 models.

Anyone who says you'll have to replace the battery knows nothing about this car. Toyota EXPECTS this to last "the life of the car." If any batteries wore out, we'd hear about taxis in Vancouver needing them before anyone else!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota does have a plant specifically for recycling these batteries.

5. unruhly

unruhly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 22 2006, 08:45 AM) [snapback]275177[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting. Dr. E. do you have more info on this plant? Is it a whole plant owned by TMC just for recycling or do they manufacture as well? Just curious, 'cause it sounds strange due to the talk here about the very low level of failures and supposed zero volume of wear outs so far.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Jun 22 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]275196[/snapback]</div>
    I have it...at home...but I'm at work now. It's in the Toyota Environmental statement literature they put out if you wanna do a search online for it. I just don't have access to the exact document and am not motivated enough to do the googling at the moment.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    any battery replaced at the dealership is sent back for recycling. they supply a bounty to the dealer to ensure this happens.
    as far as wrecked vehicles, that's up to the wrecking company, often they try to resell the batteries from those vehicles.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The HV battery bounty paid by Toyota is officially USD$200. I have read 1 unconfirmed report that it has been increased.

'Totaled Prius' are the source of most or all of the HV batteries that appear in the market. The ones I have seen sold on ebay range $300- $800, and both Prius models are represented. Most of the ones purchased are used in hombrew electric vehicles, or so I have read.

I hope that the average lifespan is more than 7 to 8 years, because I am now approaching 5! Really, I do not think we know what it is yet.

Battery management (towards the goal of longevity) is almost entirely out of our hands in Prius. We can run the air conditioner in 'flow thru' (not recirculation) mode, whenever it is hot and we suspect we are using the HV system heavily. Toyota already works hard to keep the battery temps below 45 oC, but in this way we can help.

There is instrumentation for the classic Prius that shows battery temperatures. I am not sure whether the new model's 'can view' or 'scan gauge' show those data, but I believe it would be useful for the more detail-oriented drivers.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jun 22 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]275245[/snapback]</div>

CAN-View allows observation of battery temp, MG1, MG2 and their respective inverter temps as well.

BTW, I haven't yet seen the battery temp over 109 degrees F, but summer's just getting started and I didn't have CAN-View the last 2 summers.

10. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be working for ECD ovonics, they manufacture and research alternative energy sources (there's an ovonics hydrogen prius that was posted here before i think). Anywas, they claim NiMH batteries to last 10-15 years. (that was when they were talking to me directly)

11. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have read that the "Design" life of the Hybrid battery is 19 years. This is reached due to the way the battery is used. It has a small window of charge and discharge. If the battery were to be charged to the hilt and then discharged to nearly zero all the time the battery would have a very small life time. But because it is charged between 40 and 60 percent (don't quote me) the battery will last a very long time.

12. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The usable range is 40 - 80% SOC (state of charge).

13. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks. I knew it was around those numbers somewhere. :)

14. mose121

mose121 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jun 22 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]275347[/snapback]</div>

can someone please post the link that talks about Toyota's recycling plant/methods for these batterys? Thanks.

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    lemme tell you, google is a convenient thing.

http://www.toyota.com/about/environment/te...004/hybrid.html
    "Is there a recycling plan in place for nickel-metal hydride batteries?

Toyota has a comprehensive battery recycling program in place and has been recycling nickel-metal hydride batteries since the RAV4 Electric Vehicle was introduced in 1998. Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled. To ensure that batteries come back to Toyota, each battery has a phone number on it to call for recycling information and dealers are paid a $200 "bounty" for each battery. "

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  17. mandargb

mandargb Junior Member

I have attended some presentation given by Toyota Research guy here in California at Sunnyvale dealer.
    The mentioned that they use thebattery between 60 and 80 % or charge to lengthen the life.

It is expected to last the life of car.
    I think in California it has to be warrenteed for 10 Yr / 150 K miles ? (I am not sure of the exact numbers but it is definitely more that 7 years / 80 K or whatever the basic is for battery)

See they also have battery "cooling vent" near passenger side rear seatback near the door.

Battery operates on higher temps and hence higher mileage in summer.

Also higher summer mileage is partly because of summer blend of gas.
    My civic is almost 10 years old and running after 125K miles still gave me 380 miles in 10.33 gallons on my last fill. In winter I see that number down to 300 miles for 10 gallon fillup.

-:)

18. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBPR @ Jun 22 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]275484[/snapback]</div>
    Just a little correction, the range should be 40 - 80% state of charge. I see that on CAN-View. You are correct about states that accept the CA new car emission standard have warranty for emission and hybrid components (including the battery) up to 10 yrs/150k miles (this info is in the warranty booklet that came with the car).

Higher operating temp of the battery is only one of the many reasons that the Prius gets better mileage in the summer. If battery temp. is too high (say over 45 degrees C or 110 degress F), that's actually bad for the battery. That's why there's a vent for cooling. Read around to learn more~ ;)