1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can battery fan speed be customized?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mistermojorizin, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    TPMS is a tempting rabbit hole, lol.

Regarding customizing of hybrid battery fan speed: I'd assume the intent would be to make it step up through the speeds at lower temps, second-guess the engineers? Is there a lot of value in that? Any downsides?

A few possible downsides I can think of:

1. Fan clogs up faster?
    2. Fan wears out faster?
    3. User error: fan inadvertently set to run less?

Salamander_King likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used Tire Assistant app Tire Assistant - Apps on Google Play, but Techstream will also report TMPS value. The problem is that neither will work while the car is in motion. I wanted to know realtime tire pressure even while I am driving. I use external TPMS for that purpose. It also works for winter tires on different rims without internal TPMS. You can also use ScanGuageII to see the TPMS value while driving, I bought ScanGuage for that purpose, but have not tried yet for the much cheaper external TMPS kit worked far easier.

IMG_20181115_105448-COLLAGE.jpg

Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid I purchased recently came with tire pressure display on the dash. Its display is very close to the reading I get from manual tire gauge. The fact it displays tire pressure value seems to suggest that it uses internal TPMS sensors, but strangely every time I turn on the car, I have to drive a few miles before the tire pressure can be displayed like what would be required for indirect TPMS. Haven't looked into connecting any OBDII dongle on this car yet.

#22 Salamander_King, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  3. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tire assistant is made by the same developer as hybrid assistant. Why isn't the functionality built into hybrid assistant?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Money? Do they both cost?

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For reading tire pressures with Scangauge, I believe codes need to be programed in through the Xgauge function.

Same here about the car display taking some time after start to display values. Just assumed they were internal sensors, because that is the norm. Perhaps they go to sleep to preserve the batteries when the car is off.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no idea why. I found out they were developed by the same people now. One speculation is since TPMS data can not be displayed while the car is in motion, Toyota may have placed some restriction onto accessing this data through OBDII making it impossible to display on the screen of Hybrid Assistant which does update the information while driving.

Nop! Both are free apps. Though both apps do snoop quite a bit of other information from the phone. The notion "if you are not paying for the product, then you are the product" comes to my mind.

Yes, that is what I have read, which was another reason I still have not tried using Scan Guage as TPMS reader. It requires extra steps and not plug-and-play like an external TPMS. I understand that @Mark57 was instrumental in enabling this functionality on PRIME working with the manufactures of ScanGuage.

I think you are correct. However, the same Pathfinder also has a feature using TPMS to give off notice when topping up air into a tire. I have not used this feature yet, so I don't remember the detail well, but when filling air into a tire that is low, the car will give an audible signal when the correct pressure has been reached. This means TPMS can function even when the car is not moving.

#26 Salamander_King, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Mark57 likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Peeking at the apps' blogs, it looks like hybrid assistant has been around for a couple years longer. Tire can be used with non-hybrids, and a phone that can handle one, can handle both.

From their FAQ:
    The app closes as soon as I move the car.
    Tire Assistant works only when your car is connected and turned on, but it’s not meant to be used while driving.
    Tire Assistant and its development team don’t encourage or condone any unsafe behavior while driving.

As a stand alone tire pressure checker, you don't need to use it while driving, and the developer is being cautious.
    Guess pressure changes alone could wake up the sensor.

Or I can just check the manual that is on my computer.
    When the tire pressure display doesn't show any values, and there isn't another warning light.
    "Indicates that the tire position information can-not be recognized-Drive for a short while and check if the display updates. If the radio wave conditions improve, the display may return to normal. If the tire pressure is still not displayed after driving for several minutes, stop the vehicle in a safe place, turn the engine switch off then on again, and start driving. If the tire pressure is still not displayed even after repeating this process several times, have the vehicle inspected at your Toyota dealer."

Sounds like the sensors need to be in motion in order for the system to pinpoint which sensor is in which tire(by triangulation?). The basic warning light, and Nissan's filling system, just needs to know that a tire(s) is low, not which one.