1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can-bus data help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by TimC787, Mar 9, 2019.

1. TimC787

TimC787 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering if anyone on here could help me out with some CAN data. I don't have a Prius of my own to sniff the data out. I have installed (cut up and grafted) a junkyard electric steering column from a 2008 Prius onto the column for a 1967 Ford Car, for power assisted steering. I had gotten tired of the chasing leaks in the over assisted hydraulic system. The car steers pretty decent now in failsafe mode. Since there is no Can-bus data incoming the EPS module goes into failsafe mode after about 5 or 10 seconds from key on and the assist starts up, but it is at a minimal level and with a heavy big block engine when sitting still it isnt quite enough assist. Once moving the car steers great.

I have set up a can bus network that currently goes from the EPS module to a DLC then to an arduino like device which I hope to program to output an engine rpm or system ready (electric mode) can PID as well as a 0 mph, a 35 mph or a 55 mph vehicle speed PID. I can hook a scan tool at work (I'm a mechanic) to the DLC and read and clear codes as well as re zero the torque sensor already so the bus is operating. To start with I want to transmit the RPM and a static vss to get the system working better, I can try the 0, 35, or 55 mph settings to see how they drive. Eventually I plan to add a speed sensor on the car and program the arduino to output a variable vss. By outputting an RPM signal that may also eliminate the 10 second wait for the system to activate also.

I believe the proper rpm PID is 3C8 but I am not sure of the actual data or how it would be represented. If I could get someone to show ICE rpm can data at idle or faster it should kick on the EPS at key on immediately. If someone could list what the VSS PID is and a sample data at the 3 speeds that would be a huge help on my project since I dont have regular access to a Prius to sniff it out on my own.

SFO likes this.