1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Bus Hacking Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by vendingtech, Nov 10, 2018.

1. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yep another Can Bus Question. I'll keep mine short though. I'm working on a 2012 Prius II that has had some upgrades.

I have a Macchina M2 and its awesome for canbus sniffing and talking.

I have easily isolated lock/unlock/panic commands.
    However I can't seem to find the windows/heater controls etc.

I'm assuming since I'm hitting from the OBD2 port I'm on the wrong Can Bus. Anyone know if the door locks vs windows and heat/ac controls are on a different bus? and is that bus accessible from the OBD2 and I just need to read off a different pin(s).

Thanks for assistance.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While I can't answer your questions, I suspect Toyota techstream diagnostic software via a cheap ebay Mini VCI J2534 OBD2 reader will make quick work of knowing everything that is reachable by way of the OBD2 port?

3. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have that. I'll see what I can find that route. Just figured I wasn't the only one who's done this. I think the Windows/Heat if at the OBD2 port are on a different Bus. Will pull out tech stream and hook up my other PC with a OBD2 splitter.. see what I see.

Thanks

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea... There was a time on Priuschat back in the day when engineers were building plug in after-markets battery packs and there were lots of threads on here about CAN bus hacks that went beyond OBD2, but ever since Toyota took all the Prius-chatter's design ideas and built their own Plug-in Prius all those start-ups went broke and moved on to other projects.

If you do some googling for "Priuschat Plug-in CAN bus sniffing" from 1/2 dozen or more years ago you'll likely find the people who can easily answer your questions. But you might have to track them down on Linked-in or some other forum because they've been gone from here for a long time.

5. ohdgj599

ohdgj599 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    I am trying to find some other codes like airbag information or km to service .. so I connection Nvic and elm together. and I am opening techstream and as same time listenin OBD with ELM ATMA command.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Diagrams of the networks and their gateways and interconnects are in the New Car Features manual, in the "multiplex communication" section. At least in Gen 1 and Gen 2 (don't have a Gen 3 NCF in front of me at the moment.).

-Chap

PriusCamper likes this.