1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can Dr Prius test blow head gasket?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Logypshi, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Logypshi

Logypshi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I recently got Dr Prius after our gen2 Prius had some bad cells. I was able to replace them and got the car back running. Afterwards I ran a battery test where you hold the brake down and give gas for a while and then try to keep current use around 7 amps or something. Not too long later it seems the car is low on coolant and I'm afraid I did damage to the head gasket. I wouldn't be this afraid, except:

We wanted a 2nd car and bought a used gen3 Prius. I ran that same test and less than a week later it has a blown head gasket. Luckily the dealership is making the repairs for free, but it has been a huge head ache.

So I had never run this test before and now ran it on 2 different cars and they show the same problem ... Is this just coincidence and I'm just unlucky? Did I do something wrong with that app?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So talk about the Gen 2 problem now since the Gen 3 is out of the mix when you start the cars running rough have you pulled the plugs to see if you got any coolant droplets on any of the plugs etc I'm not really worried about the test that you ran I was interested more on what the car was doing now Is it missing badly?

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's way, way more load on the engine when accelerating on to the freeway then there will ever be using the engine to power the inverter to charge the battery.

What's more Dr. Prius has reinvested all their revenue in the past 1/2 dozen years into the development of the Nexcell battery pack. If force charging a battery pack would blow a headgasket not only would they be out of business, but Toyota would disable your ability to force charge the battery pack.

Gen3 engines blow headgaskets fairly consistently once they get miles up close to 200K. It's a design flaw... Gen2 Prius on the other hand don't have that problem and it doesn't seem like you've yet confirmed you did headgasket damage on the Gen2? Why not?

4. Zach Dwiel

Zach Dwiel New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reassurances. I looked into a bit more and it appears the problem with the gen2 prius was actually the coolant pump leaking. Also good to know the Gen3 blows headgasket as fairly consistently and it isn't a sign that there is something more going on with the car. I think it just felt too much like a coincidence to be having what I thought was a similar problem on two cars in the same week, but turns out they were different problems and just a coincidence.

Thanks again

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The engine on the Gen2 Prius is fairly tough. Head gasket problems on this engine are extremely rare. One of the only "common" problems seems to be excessive oil consumption at high mileage.

I would check the cooling system for external leaks- engine water pump, radiator, hoses/clamps, etc.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

PriusCamper likes this.