1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can EGR Valve Part # 25620-37110 Swap With 25620-37120 Installed Already In 2013?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by James Finch, May 12, 2023.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cooler and the 4 ports/holes on the intake are the most important part.
    You won't get a code for a clogged cooler.

Cleaning the valve and the short pipe doesn't do much. If they are clogged,
    the cooler certainly is. The passages in the cooler are smaller, that's what clogs first.

HOW do you get to it from underneath?
    And I don't know what mean or are you're talking about for the oil????

You shouldn't go above the top line. Just above it isn't a problem. Below the bottom line, is.

You ARE going to get wet and messy cleaning the cooler. Wear old cloths and shoes and
    some tipe of eye protection so you don't get the crude from the cooler in your eye(s).

I cleaned two of them yesterday. I had thought I already cleaned my spare, but nooooooooo.....
    So I sprayed both ends with oven cleaner and let them sit while I got out the pressure washer.
    I only waited about 10 minutes because I needed one to get the car back together. It took
    45-60 minutes for both. But at least now I KNOW the spare is clean, for next time!!!

CR94 and James Finch like this.
  2. James Finch

James Finch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, intake up to the inside of the EGR Valve was thoroughly cleaned, where the inside of the EGR Valve around the valve stem wasn't as much.

Underneath was to drain the oil. I was thinking after I had back together maybe I could find a hose and drain via the PCV Valve bung or maybe with a small enough hose through the dip stick tube. Then my thought was get the car onto pavement and drain the oil down for certain on solid ground.

Being when I started the car up on the lawn, there was only a very very brief like cold weather rattle and no vibration, I assumed was good to go after a little driving around to test and then stop to clear codes and another test drive. Maybe that was due to me not disconnecting the battery when I worked on?

Seemed all good, so now I'm totally on board with cleaning the rest and not worrying about oil and gas coming through the EGR and Intake circuit again.

On another note, when first starting the car, have you ever noticed a very slight different engine idle rattle sound that goes away after a certain time or when slightly quickly depressing the gas pedal? Wondering what causes that?

Will be interesting to see if that sound is there after cleaning again and cleaning the MAF sensor, since I forgot to clean that and only cleaned the MAP sensor.

I also had the left side back by the muffler hanger weld break that I assumed was the rattle when starting as was much louder, though I wound up using two stainless steel zip ties for the last year or so and has been working well. The alternate plan for that is a stainless steel exhaust pipe clamp if the zip ties fail.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Totally confused about you thinking oil is coming through the egr. You have serious
    problems if that's happening...
    Drain the pcv valve???

4. James Finch

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, yeah, totally confused isn't my subject matter expertise... though can happen. The sequence of events and odd similar situations didn't help things.

Incomplete combustion is my thought since both times the misfires occurred, was when I was on a incline where that approximate tablespoon of oil in the intake manifold courtesy of the PCV Valve being bad and maybe the overfill situation increasing pressure, might have flowed some more oil than is typically input into the combustion chambers and thus out the exhaust ports.

I may be totally wrong, though I don't understand how oil and gas would be in the EGR Valve circuit otherwise.

The donor intake and EGR parts circuits carbon buildup was dry like soot and mine was like moist soot more having noticeable oil with the smell of gas on the paper towel after sitting. Maybe there is a vacuum and venturi like effect where at times the oil and gas can be sucked from the intake to the exhaust via the intake and EGR circuit directly in brief spurts? Anyways, I'm not visualizing.

I do not know, totally speculation from a no way mechanical engineer.

A dynamic diagram of the pressures and temps in each location of the engine would be super neat to see and study, like some sort of image with the metrics overlaid in each location where one can toggle the time like on a slider control.

Drain the oil through the PCV Valve Plate (bung) using a hose was just a thought, whether feasibly valid or not, I didn't try.

Here's my dipstick with the strange bend that's never really been an issue for me, other than when the overfill situation concern.

20230519_085015.jpg

However, this side of the reading threw me off and still makes me cringe being at the higher level. Same goes with the bend design.
    20230519_085117.jpg

This was the first time I've topped off the level more than I should.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The engine can be doing a couple different things that both sound like "idle" but only one really is.

Real idle is when the engine is turning around at idle RPM with the throttle very closed and making only enough power to keep itself turning.

It can also be charging the battery, in which case it is still turning around the same RPM, but the throttle is open a bit more and it is doing good honest work.

If you're listening carefully you can hear the difference. You can hear a little bit more mechanical noise with the good honest work, also a little deeper exhaust note.

Typically, right after startup, it may idle briefly, then go to good honest work for a minute-ish to put some charge back in the battery, then return to real idle again.

Sometimes at the return to real idle, you hear the RPM rise slightly, just as it is freed from the load of battery charging, and then it quickly settles back down to idle RPM with the smaller throttle opening.

James Finch likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the only thing that survives the combustion chamber is carbon. And that's mostly what's coating the EGR system, plus a little condensed water vapour.

It's not bad; it's doing what it's designed to do, venting crankcase vapours to the intake manifold. And as an unfortunate consequence of it's low on the block location, bringing in quite a bit of oil/water mist as well. Some of that passes right through the intake manifold; some condenses and pools.

James Finch likes this.
  7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'll never be able to drain oil from the pcv valve. It's well about the oil level.
    If the valve is back, the engine can suck oil mist into the intake. Since the oil is heavier
    than the oil, the oil settles at the bottom of the throttle valve.
    Positive Crank Case Ventilation

Viewing the photos, you didn't over fill by anything to worry about. A couple of ounces.
    The bends help keep the dipstick in place.

If it is cool out and the car has sat overnight, and the engine runs shorter than it would normally
    shut off, the heat and cold will cause condensation, in the intake and/or cylinders. That's why the
    engine will knock for a revolution or two then go away. If the head gasket if bad and the coolant is
    leaking into the cylinders, it will last longer and could cause a bend rod.

If your are getting it often, and it's not cool out, I would bet the head gasket is starting to go and a
    little coolant is seeping into the cylinder.
    It would be smart to replace it before it gets worst and bends a rod or shoots it out the side of the block.

I changed mine this past weekend. The gasket just started to fail. The top of the piston had just started
    to be cleaned by the steaming coolant.

CR94, James Finch and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How many miles did you get from the original head gasket?
    I think you were one of the record holders for a long life engine, correct?
    To what do you attribute that long life ?
    Did you go with the OEM replacement or the Felpro?

James Finch likes this.
  9. James Finch

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I probably shouldn't have taken for a day drive around without cleaning the rest of the EGR circuit (valve and cooler thoroughly).

Started up typical with no more than the usual range of engine sounds until started raining out.

Then after the rain for the most part let up and was after sunset after leaving the grocery store where temp was dropping into the 50's, the engine started with not a bad vibration as I've felt in the past, though had the rattling more for a few seconds and went away with nothing noticeable since. I drove again to the gas station mid day today and didn't notice anything when starting after sitting overnight.

Seems after that Techron and maybe my overfilling, the engine is getting more humidity sensitive, possibly due to a slow coolant leak? Then again, in a simple world ideally may be due to possibly me not cleaning the EGR Cooler out and EGR Valve thoroughly in detail as @ChapmanF noted after reading some more this link: https://priuschat.com/posts/3349454

Cleaning the EGR Valve to the point where the valve is moving very smoothly. Seems to be needed as well to assure the resistances stay within specs and don't cause another code for the EGR motor.

I'll also plan on the potential for changing the head gasket with a Felpro based on Gasket Masters, though seems the OEM lasted this long ~282k miles (verified and without fatigue before posting this time). Which gasket parts do you use or really no big difference between the Toyota and Felpro?

Will plan to check the piston positions and mating surfaces as well, mainly the head. Seems I read replacing the head bolts is a good idea while at it. First when I have the wiper cowling and all out when doing the rest of the EGR Circuit, I'll plan to inspect the spark plugs and get one of the USB borescopes out to see what the inside of the cylinders and pistons look like. Seems I read there are resistance values for the coils that can be tested as well.

In regards to planning for the head gasket, was wondering about checking timing related parts as well while at it, any thoughts?

Wondering if there is a resistance and other checks for the water pump to verify performance?

Seems like would be a good time to plan the B12 soak protocol as well when apart, any thoughts?

10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're loosing coolant, and since your engine is knocking, you likely have a blown head gasket.

I bought the head gasket kit from Toyota. My mistake was NOT getting FULL kit that included the
    front crank seal, the "o" rings for the oil filter housing, the water pump gasket, and one or two other things.
    I forget what they were...

Don't forget to get the "triple square" head bolt tool. Autozone has it in a set of 4 for $15.

James Finch likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    10 mm double hex is specd by Toyota. It IS different; for starters the points are 60 degree, not 90.

I’ll post the full engine excerpt from Repair Manual in a few hours, has all the head gasket related info.

James Finch likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Attached Files:

James Finch likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, you can get the spec'd 10 mm double hex in a set like this one:

https://ctatools.com/products/9295

When people use the wrong tool, the wrong tool they usually use is a 12 mm triple-square. Triple square and double hex have the same number of points, of course, and the 12 triple-square kinda fits, but if you draw both you can see the triple-square is too pointy, and won't engage the sides of the head bolt recess as well as the correct 10 mm double hex.

[​IMG]

14. James Finch

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I still haven't swapped the head gasket and in the few thousand miles of still driving occasionally, I've only one time had a 2 to 3 second vibration rattle that caused misfire, where I started driving and was actually moving where at that time the P0302 engine code was given for the check engine light. Otherwise, seems lately the only time I hear the rattle is for no more than 2 seconds and typically about a second when I do. Doesn't always happen at first, though seems to after I've warmed the car up after the about half hour drive to the store does routinely on startup. I make sure now to give a little gas to start the engine before moving her. I finally recorded the startup sound as well and uploaded here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIPymP1G3xc

Doesn't seem the "death rattle" is nearly as bad as the videos on Youtube and never has been except those two times prior to cleaning when I first reported the check engine light with P0301 and P0304 codes.

Even so and following through with plans, I ordered and received CTA Tools 9292 10mm Toyota Headbolt Wrench 1/2" Square Drive from eBay. Didn't think I needed the 8mm one yet for the 2006 head, though was tempting to get both from Amazon.

Decided to practice the disassembly on the 150K yard parts 2011 donor car that I've removed some parts from already as prior discussed in the thread.

Wound up purchasing the timing cover with many of the internals (timing chain, tensioner, guides, sprocket, thermostat) as well as the complete head assembly to practice testing to specification and possibly if all looks good using to make for a quicker swap when I do the head gasket change. I can return in 30 days as well if anything is bad. Amazing what those parts are selling for on eBay alone.

@ASRDogman, @ChapmanF, et.al. Not that I want to be cheap, as I'd rather be more cost effective, though wondering what the bare minimum gaskets to swap are, if I decided to only change what looks like needs to be?

Attached Files:

15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Waiting for the head gasket to get worse is not wise.
    Might as well wait for the engine oil to fail before changing it.
    It won't go away, it will only get worse. Warped head, cracked head, bent rod, broken piston,
    Rod through the engine case. You are BEGGING for trouble!!!
    But it's YOUR engine.
    NOT replacing the gaskets is just as foolish. You have it apart, replace the inexpensive gaskets.
    You don't seem to have a problem purchasing extra parts you don't really need.
    Not very "cost effective" is it? (n):whistle:

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s a Toyota gasket kit with head gasket and pretty much every other internal gasket/seal. New head bolts are worthwhile too. Part nos for both in attachment.

Attached Files:

James Finch likes this.
  17. James Finch

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know, at times I need a therapist and at the least this support group therapy.

In my mind I figure I'll most likely return the yard parts for a refund and at the very least have the preparatory heads up know how to remove and inspect to see if within tolerance.

Experience is definitely worth the $2 yard entry fee and cost for like what would be a college textbook that can be returned with the only loss being gas money and vehicle wear on my 2006 Prius.

Plus this last trip I scored a 2009 Corolla sway bar for an upgrade since has the 40mm I guess PU spacer lift with Rubber Shocks with MasterPro struts all around for now and a drivers side control arm to compare to the 2006 Prius control arm I removed sizes. The control arm will be returned as well as the sway bar linkage that came attached since was being stubborn. I also scored a pair of actual Toyota Prius rear struts from a 2007 that will stay if everything checks out good. I already owned a 2012 AWD Matrix set and have been waiting for these to compare the mounts to as well as everything else to see if can use as-is or will only use the Matrix springs on the Prius strut package like with the front I did for later install.

Analysis paralysis is not uncommon for me. Even so, I do return items quite routinely if they aren't used, sold or meeting specs.

Finally, thinking the job will go quicker being I've hands on felt the "what to do and what not to do" situations. That is not uncommon for me to do in the yard and not bring items back with. Though does happen I take home more than I can use.

I appreciate the motivational support.

18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WHY would you buy 16 year old struts????????

19. James Finch

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm guessing since the Toyota tags look new, they've been replaced and are definitely a higher quality part even used. The new aftermarket parts seem like junk and go bad quickly. I've not only read online and spoke with others..., I've messaged on Facebook Marketplace inquiring about why selling newer struts where was noted was given used ones that were Toyota or KYB and those performed better. Tighter specs and higher quality reads and sounds like.

I actually scored a free set of 78,000 mile Toyota 2014 struts and shocks, since the lister replaced as a PM. Free set of Toyota pads as well with plenty of life on em.

Mainly, I wanted to compare parts and document online. I was also thinking if not good, to replace the PU 40mm spacers, I'd make welded steel lift spacers to go on top of the strut mount using the old Toyota or KYB strut mount I'd keep (returning the rest) for the top piece and either the cutout from the chassis where mounts for the lower piece or a custom cut plate with tube welded in between. Similar to the PriusOffRoad and PriusOverlander designs, though homemade. Was thinking if I found metal that was good, possibly using the rear axle tube as the spacer piece. Though typically, that metal is pretty rough on the gen2's. Beats spending ~$350 on a set.

The gen3's are easier to cutout the materials from the chassis and rear axle (using two sets of spring seats cut from rear axle). The gen2's chassis on the front and back have like a brace gusset like piece that complicates the cut, so haven't performed yet since I'm usually overheated (I don't sweat literally) by the time I get to and isn't a priority yet to go just do since a few cars around steadily.