1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Gen 3 prius be stolen?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ATlam, Sep 21, 2017.

1. ATlam

ATlam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just moved to Seattle and I had to rent a parking spot in a small alley in a somewhat spotty neighborhood. Another 2006-2009 Prius owner from California moved here about the same time I did and got her car stolen few days ago, she was 2 spots away. I'm getting a bit worried so I got a wheel lock but I heard that's not necessary with the prius immobilizer. I saw some broken glass (around driver side in the rear), but that could have been there previously.

The Cops that were investigation were wondering if she got towed or stolen, they told me Prius don't get stolen much. I spoke to the owner and she doesn't know what happened to it, her car is registered for that parking spot. Do I have anything to be worried about?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In California, Prius suffer from a shortage of Catalytic Converters at reasonable prices due to CARB, so are stolen or dismantled in place. Washington will not suffer from that as frequently. Joy riders are going to choose a more sporty car.

Without numbers I am just blowing smoke, but i suspect the police are correct.

3. ATlam

ATlam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    this is true, but what I'm wondering is if the Prius can be stolen somehow. I heard it is next to impossible unless they have a tow truck. I just can't figure out how they are able to steal her car.

4. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can the key fob be copied remotely? Can you read the communication from the key fob to the car to unlock it and what more do you need to trick the car in thinking it is a genuine key fob belonging to the car?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Any car can be stolen :)

MPGesus, Zythryn, bisco and 2 others like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fob needs to be sensed inside the car for it to go into Ready mode. Sensing is either through RF or the proximity sensor on the Start button.
    When the fob battery is dead you can place the fob on the Start button and the car can be started.

secolobo likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see post #5, and add, anything can be stolen.:cool:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes there are ways.

For obvious reasons, I am not going to enumerate them.

If you are concerned, get a faraday bag for her fob.

amazon.com/dp/B01HETGX00

9. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know that the Gen 3's can be stolen because mine has it listed on my Carfax I pulled before I purchased the car. Not sure of the circumstances but I bet someone left their key fob in their car in their driveway or at a store and someone took it.

10. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The simplest explanation is that someone had access to her fob. Do not multiply causes unnecessarily.

11. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The tow truck still works, but there's a high tech way now. They bring a laptop with a radio attachment. They ping your key while it is hanging in your house (further than the car can reach) read its response, relay it to the car. The car thinks the key is right there and opens the door. Do it again for the ignition and off you go.

12. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Fortunately in my area carjackers are only interested in BMW's, Audi's and VW's (and only for their airbags and/or nav systems). Never heard of someone's Prius getting stolen or gutted. :)