1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can hv bat ecus be swapped with reconfiguring?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wddanie, Oct 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wddanie

wddanie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed a 6 mth old nearly new battery, obtained from a 2008 Prius wreck, in my 2005 Prius, but it came with a battery ecu so I left it in place in the new battery assembly and installed the entire assembly in my car. Will my 2005 car accept the 2008 donor car ecu without any reconfiguration?

I could swap my 2005 ecu back in but I thought I would keep it simple and not swap them just to save time during installation.

I'm having some weird displays on the mfd where when stopped the engine is still running but the mfd does not show the correct arrow showing the engine at work. I am having some trouble getting the emission monitors to pass so I thought perhaps this 2008 bat ecu might be a problem.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Compare part numbers printed/embossed on the ECUs. If the same part number, no need to swap.

Who said the donor battery is only 6months old, from the 2008? That donor battery is likely a "rebuilt" HV Battery.

Pop off the top cover and take a look at the serial numbers printed/embossed on each module. Are the serial numbers sequential?

How recently did you install the HV Battery and then try to pass Smog? Recently in terms of days and miles driven. You might not have logged enough miles for the emission ECUs to be happy.

Mine does that occasionally too. You can replace the MFD with a different one, if you want that added cost.

3. wddanie

wddanie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the ecu tip. The labels match so I will leave the 2008 one installed. I think my intermittent problems are likely due to a weak 4 year old 12v aux battery, based on the test of the voltage dropping to 10v one minute after turning the head lights on. I'll try to get a new 12v battery tomorrow.

I posted the sn on the forum and member dolj decoded it for me and found a manf date of 09 Feb 17 so I think I got a fresh one.

I installed the hv bat Sunday and have just put 20 miles on it. The registration is expired since I could not get an emissions inspection for last year while it was down due to the hv bat failure, so I have to stay in my subdivision and drive laps to avoid the chance of getting a ticket and perhaps an impound for an expired registration (that happened to me with another sick car). Any tips about how to get the emission monitors to pass while riding around on residential streets? I may put the tag from my registered Explorer on it for a few hours and drive on the expressway if reqd to get TIS to tell me its ready for emission testing.

Thanks for the advice!

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't know what the mileage threshold requirement for the Prius. Maybe after putting 30miles, swing by your smog place to see if that is enough. If not, maybe add an additional 30miles?

Someone here might know what the minimum mileage is when the 12V has been disconnected, and emission memory lost.

Contact or look-up on your States's DMV. They may have a program in place to allow you to drive for a short duration (maybe 2wks) while the car is getting repaired.

5. wddanie

wddanie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys were right about the need to change my 12v bat. I bought a new Toyota bat today for $200 and my 2005 Prius with a 6 month old hv bat is running great! Apparently swapping the hv bat ecu did not matter as you advised. Thanks for the invaluable advice! Now I just need to drive for a few hours to get ready for emission tests without getting stopped by the police for my expired tag.

bisco likes this.
  6. wddanie

wddanie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove my car on the expressway for a 30 mile trip and found that all the monitors were complete and passed when I got home. I took it for emission inspection and it passed. Now my 2005 Prius with 249k miles has a new hv bat and is ready to drive again. I wonder how many miles I will be able to get out of it with the new hv bat?

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You didn't mention, in this thread at least, how many miles on the car so far, but all things being equal and no other major systems malfunctions, no reason for you to not get another 150,000+ miles. Regular maintenance is the key.

8. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    However many you can add in the next 10 odd years ;)