1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I add a used SKS keyfob to my prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sorka, May 12, 2018.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I have two working SKS keyfobs with my Prius. If I buy a brand new never programmed keyfob, I can add it with just the song and dance routine without using a techstream.

But I have a techstream, without the expensive dealer only security module. The question is, since I have working SKS keyfobs on the ECU already, can I use my techstream to add a used SKS keyfob?

i.e. if I can, I can buy a used on one ebay for $65. If not, then I'll need to spend $155 on a brand new never before used fob instead.

2. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You cannot use Techstream to program a used SKS fob. In order to use a used SKS fob for its full functionality (ie, SKS) would require taking all your fobs to a locksmith with the proper reprogramming instrument. They reprogram all fobs and the immobilizer ECU so that all the fobs are re-registered on the immobilizer ECU.

You can partially program a used fob to use in the key slot if I recall correctly. But, let's get someone else to corroborate this as my memory is not quite 100% on this.

Paul.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tecnically you actually can use Techstream to program a used key fob. I do it regularly. But you will also need to pay for a seed code service.
    There aren't any really clear directions out there on how to do it.
    But if you search around the web and read between the lines you'll figure it out.
    Once you do, maybe you can be the one to report back here and clearly explain how to do it.

Or just save yourself time and buy a new one.

sorka and SFO like this.
  4. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does the cost of the 'seed code' negate any opportunity to save money with the purchase of a used fob?

Paul

SFO likes this.
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure what the cost of seed code is.
    Less than $25 or so.

The rest is your time and brianpower.
    Not sure what this is worth to you.