1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I add another small 12V Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Syongkwarn, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Syongkwarn

Syongkwarn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It might sound stupid but I have a 12V 8Ah battery lying in the house, doing nothing. I wonder if I can hook up to my Prius.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So long as it is AGM ( to minimize the acid spilled on your passengers in a wreck) and externally vented, (to minimize the acid spilled on your passengers when over charged) or you NEVER carry passengers, sure.

Can you tell I am not wildly fond of Toyota's decision to place the 12v battery in the passenger compartment?

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you can find room under the hood you could connect it to the jump point. If it is the type of sealed battery I think it is they can be used in any position, but should be securely fastened down. For safety I would put a 25 amp in line fuse as this could prevent a fire in the event of a short circuit.

4. Syongkwarn

Syongkwarn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I can't use it then because it says valve regulated lead-acid. I'll look for other projects that I can make use out of it. Any way, thanks for you advises.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think all AGM batteries are VRLA, but not all VRLA batteries are AGM.

Can you see fluid in it?

6. Syongkwarn

Syongkwarn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    According to WiKi, VRLA has two types: AGM and Gel Cell. I tried to verify on the Google with no luck. The battery that I have doesn't say either one of them; it only says VRLA. Or can I use either one of them? Here is my battery; GT12080-HG.

7. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 9V battery sitting in the glove compartment. It isn't hooked up to anything... but I bet your attached 8 Ah battery will have the same effect as mine! :D

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i know this topic is kinda dead.. but figured i would add a little bit.

i use a honda civic battery for over a year... probably closer to 2 years with no issues... it has no vent... i'm not about to go cry about it either.

if you attach to the terminals under the hood, the car stays on (i've done this with a jump pack)... it could be possible i did something oddly different when i did my test about 5 years ago.. but i'm pretty sure it doesn't ever fully shut down if power is attached to those terminals.