1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I add engine coolant while slowly draining to avoid bleeding?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rocinante, Apr 26, 2023.

1. Rocinante

Rocinante Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is this a stupid idea? I want to drain it slowly while also slowly adding new coolant at the same time. I know I won't get 100% but I don't care. Bleeding looks like a huge pain.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The short answer is yes. Many people with the Gen 2 do coolant like that, including me on my personal cars.
    Drain a gallon, add a gallon. (or whatever you prefer) Drive on like donkey kong.....do a gallon every year or two and it will keep the coolant chemicals just fine.

SFO likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Probably.
    Do it cold.
    Add new at the highest point or as near as possible and drain at the lowest point.
    This is assuming that the pressure cap is on the actual radiator and not on an "overflow" bottle.

If you are reasonably sure that it has been changed once before in it's life, I wouldn't even bother.........unless the present coolant looks "nasty".

4. Rocinante

Rocinante Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks! How do you do it, drain a little bit, close the drain valve, then add a little through the radiator cap?

I have no idea. It doesn't look nasty at all though. I tried to check the voltage with my Harbor Freight meter and was getting weird readings, even on my fresh inverter coolant. Maybe I should try some test strips.

My 3 way coolant valve is failing anyway but I'd like to be able to just clamp off the hoses instead of bleeding the whole system.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks! How do you do it, drain a little bit, close the drain valve, then add a little through the radiator cap?

Exactly. There's a drain at the bottom of the radiator. If you wanted to get real fancy, you could probably clamp the radiator hoses, completely drain the radiator, refill it and then take off the clamps. No loss of coolant from any other portion of the system. This assumes there's no spring on the inside of the suction hose though. I may have to check that out!

Rocinante likes this.
  6. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought a coolant refill tool years ago and no air bleeding is needed. I have done the procedure in the Prius and several cars.
    https://a.co/d/gusKu1h