1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I add lumbar padding to existing seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Chippingawayatlife, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Chippingawayatlife

Chippingawayatlife Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a two eco with factory leather and the lumbar padding seems a little more pronounced than cloth seats. However, it's still not enough. Right now I bought a lumbar support in the car, but it seems to alter the seating position a bit and decreases rear leg room behind me. I'm thinking it's ideal if I just added some foam padding behind the leather and do away with the support I have altogether. Is that possible without ruining the leather or restitching? Are there instructions on how to remove the leather?

2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You can peel the backrest cover up to its middle attached point. From there you can check out the back support. I added a little to my cloth one in my 04. I do upholstery.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought the Two Eco only came with cloth seats from Factory. Your profile indicates you are in the US, unless there is a San Francisco in some other country.
    The only other Prius seats I know of in the US are Softex, not the real leather ones that are in the UK, for instance.

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be putting a full lambswool/sheepskin seat cover which you can tuck padding between it and the leather without damaging it.

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Remember that both front seats contain airbag modules; see the illustrations and warnings in section 1-1 of the Owner’s Manual, including the warnings against extra cushions, accessories that cover parts where the airbags inflate, or modifications to the seats or seat upholstery.

I urge you to consider two issues before making any changes:
    • How would your modification affect the occupant protection provided by the seat–airbag–seat belt system in a collision? Without proprietary design information and an extensive program of destructive testing, this could be difficult to determine. It’s possible that a modified seat could do better, but are you willing to take the chance that it would do much worse?
    • If you decide to work on the seats, what precautions must you take to avoid injury from inadvertent airbag deployment? This information is in the factory Repair Manual, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com. The manual also has complete procedures to remove, disassemble, reassemble, and reinstall the seats, including steps for the back and cushion covers, and the torque specifications for the seat fasteners.

RCO, alanclarkeau and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Chippingawayatlife

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Normally it does only come in cloth. Mine came with genuine leather. My dealership send to like installing them in lower end models and selling them for more.

I'll check it out now

I'm more lost than i should be. I took out the underside cover like you mentioned. Am I supposed to somehow unzip the side? I don't know how to access it. I can't seem to squeeze my finger to the front of the seat either.

Attached Files:

#6 Chippingawayatlife, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  7. Chippingawayatlife

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Good points. I was hoping it would be an easy addition. I found that the zipper ends were locked behind the round plastic the pieces where the hinges are. Therefore I'm unable to get to them. Then the rear has airbag wires so I backed out. Airbag warnings all over. I guess it's not that easy

Attached Files:

RCO, Prodigyplace and alanclarkeau like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since your dealer must have had some local business install the leather upholstery, perhaps that same company could safely improve the support for you.

RCO likes this.
  9. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well the seat will need to come out for starters. Then you can see how to get the bottom completely open. From there if like the cloth there is plastic straps wrapped from the front around the bottom and back. Hawg rings hold them in place. Which you'll need to replace after it's done. A upholstery shop is best for this job.

RCO likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lumbar support involves the seat back, not the bottom. Would they need to remove the seat to access the back only?

11. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Remove the whole seat from the car to work on the back. The back rest can stay connected.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  13. Chippingawayatlife

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any issues with the airbag wiring when removing the seat?

14. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well haven't crashed to really know but no. Just unplug wiring from underneath seat and plug it back in when done. No need to unplug anywhere else.

15. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think the cord holding backrest cover is orange. Holds it down along the wings of the backrest.

16. Chippingawayatlife

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That seems so involving with the airbag. I'm truly scared. Any videos on this?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  17. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before you pull it apart, you need to have ready what packing you need to insert FIRST. Because if you go to great pains dismantling it etc, and it's not quite right, you're back either to square 1 - or even have made it worse.

That's why I suggested you put it between a seat cover and the seat. I've done that on a few cars, and in some cases, you need very little packing to make a huge difference. You can experiment without a seat cover - just put various items behind your back to work out what helps.

[ I've had Lambswool/Sheepskin seat covers on most of my front seats since about 1980 - they protect the seat itself, are much easier to clean than if you stain your upholstery or if the children kick the back of the seat, and even by themselves, make the seat more comfortable. They also mean you can tuck something - start with a folded flannel or small folded hand-towel to start working out what you are needing.
    upload_2017-3-15_13-4-45.png ]

Attached Files:

RCO and Chippingawayatlife like this.
  18. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's a good suggestion actually. Getting the wright amount important for the back. I used a 2 inch by 10 inch wide 1/2 inch foam, than a 5 inch over the 2 inch strip. Need to place the height of it correctly to line up with curve of your back.
    Taking the seat apart not a problem for me since I do upholstery for a living. Worked on many car seats.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With foam - and you'd know being into upholstery - there are so many different densities and cell structures that it becomes a fiddly thing to get the right one. I find that I often adjust the LUMBAR on my seat during the day - harder later in the day.

Which reminds me of something my (now deceased) Mother-In-Law had - it was a small cushion backrest on her lounge chair which she adjusted by squeezing a rubber bulb. She had a chronic sore back, and was always fiddling with it to get comfortable - give it a few pumps, then 10 mins later, we'd hear the hiss as she was deflating it a bit.

20. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Correct, foam and people's backs all different. The Prius backrest is fairly flat so I needed to add some curve.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.