1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I add lumbar padding to existing seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Chippingawayatlife, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As well you should be: the airbag connector under the seat is part of the firing circuit for an explosive device. The precautions to take before, during, and after servicing are not complicated, however, and they are all clearly explained in the Repair Manual, though I can’t take the time or liability for summarizing them all here. I’d gladly post the relevant sections for you to read, but if I were to do this, I expect I’d just get PriusChat a copyright takedown notice and myself banned.

If I were you, I’d pay $15 for a two-day subscription to techinfo.toyota.com. You can’t download the complete Repair Manual as a PDF file, but you can view, print, or save as many sections of it as you like, with not only the airbag and other precautions, but also useful advice, like the technique to avoid wrinkles when reattaching the seat covers. (They also have the complete electrical wiring diagrams, which can be saved as PDF files; I found those alone to be worth the cost.) There aren’t any videos for the Prius, but there are lots of illustrations, most created from 3D models of the car and its parts.

In fairness to other posters, it’s true that supplemental restraint systems have built-in features for safe servicing, such as connectors with shorting bars, and many people have worked on them without any attention to the manufacturer’s recommendations. For me, compared to the cost of dealing with an inadvertent airbag deployment (or worse, personal injuries, either during servicing or because the system doesn’t work when needed), the money and time spent to get and follow the correct procedures are trivial.

On their European repair information site (toyota-tech.eu), Toyota does publish accessory installation instructions for leather seats and seat heaters for free viewing. There are some differences between European and U.S. cars and accessories, but those documents might give you a few ideas about how the seats are put together. (Be aware that the European accessory manuals use a pictogram style that is much different from the Repair Manual, which is written in proper English.)

2. Chippingawayatlife

Chippingawayatlife Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll try some towels tomorrow

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. Chippingawayatlife

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good thing you mentioned to try the towel. With the towel in place and my back curved comfortably outward, I find that my neck is bent forward from the head restraint. After my hour commute each way, it's definitely sore. I tried adjusting the restraint up and down with no relief.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It might be too thick - I used a flannel in a previous car - probably only 3 thicknesses, maybe 4. It often doesn't take much to make it comfy. Don't forget, you may need to adjust either the steering wheel (or seat position) to compensate.

RCO and Chippingawayatlife like this.
  5. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Need to moves the back straighter up. Otherwise you sit way back.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  6. Chippingawayatlife

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe i need to move the back seat down. I usually have that such that I sit pretty straight. I'll try again today.

7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It took me quite a while to find a comfy position, a little adjustment, further back, forward, wheel closer, backrest, adjust Lumbar - etc.

Then put it in for service, and they'd moved the seat - GROAN!!! back to fiddling again.