1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I borrow your battery charger/balancer/reconditioner?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JamesG123, Jun 3, 2020.

1. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $1600 seems pretty expensive for my crappy little car. About how much would I get for my old batteries?

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yeah I agree. It’s too bad these modules can’t be replaced from the top by just pulling them out and clipping them back in. That would make this poor man’s DIY project a lot easier in the long run.

It seems like it would be practical to charge them if I had one of those expensive chargers because it’s just a matter of plugging it in, timing it and discharging down to a certain level of voltage a few times and then repeat that process once or twice per year. The battery charger can even be bolted into the car so that you can plug in the AC cord. At least that’s how I understand the process. And apparently it can give you about three years of life for about $300. Also, about your comments about cheap sales versus nice new cells. From what I’ve been reading, it’s best to get cells that closely match the quality of cells that currently have in my car (which I did not do with the cell that I just replaced). Apparently, if you put in a new cell it can throw off the balance of a battery pack. After that I guess it’s important to balance it, but I’m not really sure if it will completely balance/stay balanced because of that new cell, I just don’t know.

3. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would be awesome if we had Prius Chat clubs all around the country so that we can share these expensive chargers. We could all agree on a brand and install the harness on our cars and then just have like a loaner program. Maybe Prius Chat could run it themselves. They could make some money off it too!

For the record, I think it’s more likely that these battery balancers/chargers do rejuvenate hybrid battery packs or else people wouldn’t be saying that it’s working for them. The science makes sense about bringing the voltage up and then your good battery modules will start cooking while maintaining a voltage while the weaker ones get up to snuff thereby balancing the batteries. There probably are a lot of variables that determine effectiveness and prolong website seems to recommend calling them because they have a lot of experience with it. Of course since they are selling these battery bouncers you can’t totally trust their advice, but I could still be helpful. Bottom line, with the cheaper Volt Maxx it seems like it’s worth a shot rather than getting a PhD in the subject matter.

4. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bam! Love to hear results like this! You guys are doing it right up there!

5. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’m sure it is! We just need someone to put instructions on Prius chat. And start a loaner program for these chargers. Anybody feeling self-motivated? I think I’m about to give up on trying to borrow one and just plop down 300 bucks.

6. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just wanna say thank you all for the help and of course the lively conversation! I sure do love this forum!

srellim234 and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It can....and does.
    Trying to "balance" a string of series cells by working on the whole pack while still together is where the biggest waste of time comes in.
    The current going to each cell will be limited by the worst one in the string.......just like when it is charged in normal use.
    The new one(s) may never get fully charged and/or the old ones might fail quicker.

SO.....to really do any good, you must work on each cell individually BEFORE you work on the whole pack together.
    By the time you buy the equipment and harness to do that properly, you might have spent about half the cost of a new battery or more.

This is not necessarily a bad thing to do but one needs to understand the trade-offs.......and the fact that you might not really save any money in the long run.

JamesG123 likes this.
  8. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I know zero about the Volt Max. Sorry.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just wanted to clarify as I don't think you are comparing apples with apples.

It seems you are comparing A) a Maxx Volts (MV) charger with B) a Hybrid Automotive (HA) deluxe reconditioning package, given the pricing you quote.

As far as I am aware, MV in A) only offers a charger, no discharger.

HA deluxe recondition package in B) gives you a harness, a charger, and an automatic discharger in the set.

To do a fair comparison, you need to look at an HA charger only product, which is priced similarly to the MV, but also includes the harness you need. Be aware that if you intend to purchase the discharger later, you need to get the "discharger ready" harness which will work with both the charger and the discharger.

JamesG123, srellim234 and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrid Automotive also has a package with just the charger and harness. They sell those items separately too.

JamesG123 likes this.
  11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's exactly the point I'm making in my last paragraph. Sorry if I was not clear.

12. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is super good information! If I were to balance them properly as individual modules as you were saying, then that means I would probably buy a few of the cheaper chargers so that I can charge individual modules at the same time, correct? If that’s the case then it’s probably fairly inexpensive, but a lot of time involved which is a total drag and I consider that expensive. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s how I understand it. I’m guessing the equipment needed for your scenarios is about $60 per charger and you need about three of them to get it done in about 10 days? That’s just what I remember reading somewhere on this forum.

It’s too bad that the expensive chargers like Prolong and Maxx Volts can’t do as good of a job balancing the modules as doing it individually as you were saying. That intuitively makes sense to me since you have greater control over how well the modules are charged/discharged if working on them individually.

If a new set of modules is $1600, that seems wicked expensive. Any idea how much I can get from my old modules?

13. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent point! I was mistaken when quoting prices on each of those chargers. The maxx volts is $289 and the equivalent prolong is about $409 for the second generation Prius. Both come with discharge port. These are the cheapest versions of these chargers. You might be right that Max volts does not offer a discharger, however they mention that they offer a discharger in the description of their chargers.

14. JamesG123

JamesG123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anybody know how a person can score a battery back from a junked Prius? I live in Southern California where there are LKQ Pick Your Part junkyards, but somebody takes the battery banks out before you can scavenge one.

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In reality, it is not. It represents good value for money for what you get. Consider some "rebuilders" are charging $1.500 for a set of sketchy second-hand 15-16 yo modules.
    $25-$35 for each good module, maybe more if you can put some time into each one to do some cycles and provide some quantitive benchmark like mAh capacity.

JamesG123 likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @jeff652 @Raytheeagle @jerrymildred and several others would disagree with that state. Jeff designed and builds the Prolong charger. I understand if you call Hybrid Automotive they are willing to explain the operation of their system better than anybody here except Jeff.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see how one thing follows the other, can you please explain in this scenario how it is the biggest waste of time?
    Can you explain how working on a module of 6 cells in series is different from working on a battery of 168 cells in series? Given that it is not possible to access individual cells due to the sealed nature of the prismatic modules, how do you see working at module level to be different (and inherently better) from working at the battery level? I can see that it is possible to get finer metrics and maybe tighter control, but that is really an individual goal rather than a better process.
    So are you contradicting yourself? Are you now saying that using the Prolong system is doing it properly? The cost of which (at $683* for Prius Gen 2) is a little over ⅓ the cost of the cheapest new replacement option and less than ¼ of a new Toyota option. For some, the newpriusbatteries.com aftermarket option is not an option, so stretching out the useful life of the existing battery becomes a different proposition.
    For sure it is all about trade-offs. There is not a one size fits all solution here.
    It is not as super good as you might think.

There are pros and cons for working on individual modules vs on the whole battery, but I don't think that the end result is necessarily that different however you do it. It comes down to what trade-offs are acceptable to you.

The biggest plus for a grid charging system vs RC hobby chargers is the ease of use (charging in place) and repeatability.

* That is for the package with the automatic discharger. If you take the value package for $469 it is a cheaper option with a manual discharger. Then cost/benefit ratios get even better.

#57 dolj, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That makes sense. The grid charger was designed to charge a pack. The hobby chargers were not. There are some apps (Dr. Prius.) that @TMR-JWAP likes to use that track the voltage of individual modules whilst driving, I believe. It also tracks other statistics.

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You do not charge the whole pack using hobby chargers. To use them requires removing the pack and opening to get to the modules and there's nothing wrong with that. The modules are then charged/discharged individually. Multi-channel chargers can do more than one at a time, the most common multi-channel chargers having 4 channels so 4 modules at a time. These chargers are generally designed to cater for charging multi-cell batteries up to 14 or 15 cells per battery (and in the context of hobby charging a Prius module is a battery).

#59 dolj, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  20. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not really. No need to do them "at the same time".
    Most reports that I have seen are folks who buy small variable voltage "hobby" chargers and do them one at a time.
    The "special purpose" chargers that you are talking about are generally not equipped to do individual cells......I think.

And just a reminder that I think this whole thing is a huge waste of time and money........unless you really enjoy tinkering with things like that.